Would you breed dogs ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Purple Streaks, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
    +806
    Thank you lolimac this is what I was getting at ,

How many do breed Pups without all the following of regulations set out by the KC ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,981
      Personally I think the KC needs sorting out themselves, let alone regulating other people.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +47,720
        The breeders that we had our golden retrievers live in the country. They work their dogs and go to crufts sometimes. The houses weren't big but enough room for a few dogs. They would have one or two litters going at the same time but the 2 women were home all the time unless they were at shows. That's where they would get a good chance to win and then the dogs would get a good chance of mating. It's not cheap doing this and there's always a chance of complications when the whelping starts. One of the breeders had to cope with a breech birth.
        It's not for the faint hearted when it starts.
        In this video you can't see a lot of the blood stuff but it shows you how it's done.

She spends a lot of time getting the puppies used to a lot of things to be ready for their new homes.

There's a lot more videos of these on YouTube.
        9 years ago when we bought Berry he was 2 thousand pounds, it went up to 3 thousand during COVID but we wouldn't buy one for that, the price is starting to come down now and we are considering of getting another when the time is right. At the moment hubby has to have his other hip replaced so have to wait after.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,070
          Too right Pete,how they can accept German shepherds with sloping backs and their back legs buckled ,it's a sin..Like many other breeds.
          My vet who has sadly retired now used to say to me ..don't go for the 'top Breeders' because they seem to think they are breeding the best dogs ever yet they're a bunch of nutters and he was so right.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +91,981
            Too many dogs are getting bred for their appearance and looks, not enough attention to the health of the resulting puppies, bull dogs being a prime example, but lots of others I'm sure with hip problems and all kinds of stuff wrong, skin problems all down to interbreeding.

• Agree Agree x 1