Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shiney,
    I've got some rechargeables for the digi, it's working the damn thing that's proving tricky [​IMG] Took a couple of snaps of flowers but they're pants, so have to have another attempt.
    Wow, Shiney, you've been to some fantasic places and done things I can only dream of. You're soooo lucky. Was it your work that took you to these cool places?

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    shiney was right in the middle of answering to you and i lost gc logged me off have had awful bother getting back in---- now where was i [​IMG]
    Oh dear -- I would get down that garden and give them triffids a good slap poor things, I mean the tomatoes what an awful life they are having, or i woulde send mrs shiney down the garden with the broom. [​IMG] [​IMG] :D :D

Windy do hope you can get that digi sorted sounds as iff your in all sorts of bother [​IMG]

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,816
    windy
    Some of it was work but we have always wanted to travel and see how other people live. I suppose travelling with my work when I was young got me into wanting to see so much. Apart from seeing how people live (or used to live) I love seeing the wonders of nature and the ancient man made sights. We always said that when we retired we would travel a lot whilst we could still manage it.

One of the girls that worked for me bought me a Christmas present, a couple of years ago, of a book called 'A thousand places to see before you die'. I have gone through it and we have managed 208 of them so far - but that includes 10 in London, 10 in Paris etc.

We have such wonderful memories of some of the places. Going up the Amazon in a canoe (with outboard motor), seeing Iguacu waterfalls (probably the best ever), walking across the lava of a vast volcano with steam rising up around me - and seeing some of the peoples and how they live. When you see how much poverty there is you realise how lucky and privileged you are.

I saw this girl in a local market in Madagascar. She had a really tough life but seemed quite happy. She looks like a young kid but is actually 19. She was happy for me to take the photo. I asked the person translating for me if I should give her something and was told ' no, we don't expect anything'. I gave her two dollars anyway and she was shocked. The person translating said that it was more than a month's pay for her!!!! How sad it is to see the difference in values. A lot of them live a bare subsistence life and it is hard not to go round giving everyone something to help them.

[​IMG]

She is so pretty that if she lived in this country she would be earning lots of money as a model - but I don't know if she would be any happier!!!!
    -----------------
    shiney

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Shiney, we have been to goa and thailand and seen the same poverty in those places.
    In goa the some live in little shacks in the back streets, we met this little girl selling nuts and bits of jewellery on the beach only about 7 year old perfect english, but her family about 8 of them in this shack like a hut.
    We saw the same in thailand, took a boat ride around bangkok they lived the same way on the rivers edge and the amazing part about it they looked happy, waving at us. its amazing how the other half live. [​IMG]

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Have you seen the new kandyfloss she is having a lot of blonde moments :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Morning Everyone?
    Rosa well i hope
    KF changed overnight?
    Windy's birthday!
    Shiney's travels .hi to anyone else online
    Have a good day guys.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    good morning gogs, yes kf has changed her appearance somewhat, she has had a make-over [​IMG]

8. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Forgot to say it's not raining here,slightly overcast but not too bad really.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Its awful here right now blowing a gale, pouring down and it is that cold i have put the heating on

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,490
    Morning all ... well, late morning all! It's 27,6oC and sunny here! Gets boring sometimes! [​IMG]

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Good Day all,
    cool, dull, & damp here with a very strong wind gusting.... Makes a change I suppose.... Just so long as it doesn't intend to stay like this............... :(

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,816
    Morning windy, I can see you're up. Wonder where rosa is?

Morning everyone. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -----------------
    shiney

14. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Shiney,
    Looks like it's just us in the early morning club today. Really must get ready for work though, new site, new canteen today. Hard to get motivated after a week off....

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,816
    Hi windy,
    I see Gogs is up as well (morning Gogs). It's always hard to go back to work after a holiday, I sympathise with you. I'm sure you'll have a good day - 'positive thinking'. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The others must still be asleep [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -----------------
    shiney