Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,567
    Good morning woo, Helen and walnut and everyone.

walnut, don't forget that you are not allowed to look happy on your passport photo [​IMG] and you musn't show your teeth - just like when you are in a police line-up :D . You also musn't have your eyes obscured so if you wear tinted glasses you have a problem. So if you normally have a fringe and wear tinted glasses and your not allowed to look different from normal you got a problem. Of course, if you have a good sense of humour as well you're going to have trouble not smiling when you hear of the things you can't do [​IMG] . Isn't beaurocracy great? :D :D

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,253
    Good morning woo, Helen, walnut and shiney.

Helen, usually only walnut can be up before woo ... or shiney if he hasn't gone to be yet! [​IMG]

walnut, t'other half agrees with me on the corned beef ... we were wondering if you are thinking about pastrami? Another love of mine, mmmmm!

I thought the new passport hilarity was already in force ???

Cloudy here, was hazy all day yesterday.

Have a good day everyone.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,692
    Good morning,Walnut Helen,Rosa .Lol,Shiney and everyone else have a great Weekend ,and all stay safe. [​IMG]

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good morning Woo,Walnut Shiney,Rosa,Lady and all you other nice people.

Lady I think you are right just look at the time Woo was on this morning! :eek: I could never do that and wouldn't want to either!

My goodness where did the summer (Ha, ha) go, dark mornings are already here!

Having a nice cup of tea and then a good long soak in the bath ....what a wonderful way to start the day!

Make the most of the weekend guys.... I'm sure it's gonna be a good one! :D
    Helen.xxx.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Morning Woo,Helen and the rest of the crew on surfacing,LoL pastrami is smoked corned beef with added spices here is a reference to corned beef u.s and corned beef u.k http://www.miketodd.net/lexicon/lex_c.htm
    The passport thingy we cracked that, my good lady wore a burka and sunnies they dare not ask her to take that off. :D Have a safe weekend everyone.

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning woo, helen, walnut, shiney, LoL and everyone.
    bit cloudy here this morning do hope it stays nice as i am going along to tynemouth castle not far from me to take pics of the hms bounty leaving tyneside after 4 today.
    have a great day everyone

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,253
    Morning everyone. Another grey day here, third in a row, with no rain ... I'll soon develop my SAD syndrone again. :eek: Also, the silence of the orchards is under seige by some piece of growling machinery over near the hamlet.

Interesting link, walnut, and I have saved it. I think it's all a load of codswallop anyway as UK (and US I believe) corned beef comes from Argentina and Brazil. Pastrami is smoked beef (with the corned missing) according to the link. Anyway, I noticed chilli dogs there ... we have them from time to time. Tonight it's tacos.

Have a nice trip to Tynemouth Castle, rosa.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

[ 08. September 2007, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Lady of Leisure ]

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,567
    Hi everyone

Just in from mowing and tidying before we go off to the Lakes in the morning. I suppose I had better think about packing soon :eek: :D

I think I might look for some bridges and viaducts for the photo comp. Be in touch when we get back. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi LoL, going shortly see what i can do.
    shiney have a fab time in the lakes take plenty of great pics, speak when you get back

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,567
    Just to stick my oar in about Pastrami. There are many ways of seasoning it and cooking it (e.g. with a variety of spices and garlic) and, as everyone has said, it is a smoked version of corned beef. Pastrami come from an Eastern European Jewish recipe and is the smoked version of the Jewish 'Salt Beef'.

All the recipes that you can usually find on the internet don't tell you how to keep the meat looking red which is the way it is normally sold in restaurants and delicatessens. This is done by adding a very small amount of Pottasium Nitrate to the brine.

Like a lot of people, I have my own recipe which I naturally think is the best [​IMG] [​IMG] :D :D

Time for my salt beef sandwich now [​IMG]

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,253
    Hi, shiney. Any chance of you posting your recipe for Pastrami. We know we'll have to buy a smoker but it would be worth it.

I know you're off in the morning so I've sent you an e-mail as well ... have a lovely time in the Lakes and looking forward to your photos. xx

I disagree that Pastrami is smoked "corned" beef ... but then again, I would! [​IMG]

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,have to get back off my ride early today out to lunch with the family any extra calories will soon be burned off tomorrow, have a safe day.

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Walnut,Shiney, Woo,Rosa, Lady and all.

Got loads to do today so I'm multi tasking as only us women can do (sorry guys), joint's in the oven and cakes are a baking!

Have a nice Sunday people.!

Helen.xxx.

14. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,567
    Morning walnut and Helen and everyone.

Helen, what's that phrase 'multi tasking' mean :confused: [​IMG] :D Never heard of it and can't imagine what it can possibly mean!!

We're just off to the Lakes and having lunch on the way with an old teacher of Mrs shiney who lives in Lytham. It only adds about 70 miles to our journey so its not too bad. We expect to have settled in to our hotel by mid-afternoon and are scheduled to walk with our friends down to Bassenthwaite Lake at 4.30. That should stretch the kinks out of my old bones [​IMG] .

Have a great week :D

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,253
    Morning walnut and Helen and bye shiney.

Agree re the multi-tasking, Helen ... as only women can! [​IMG]

It's annoying, shiney sent me his Pastrami recipe by e-mail and OE removed access to it saying it was an unsafe document, so I'll have to wait until after his holidays now. :mad:

Sun is breaking through and it's 23 degrees, low was 22, high 27, so all very pleasant.

Off into them thar hills for lunch with friends today. Naturally, Isabel will be taking us and camera gear accompanying me.

Have a wonderful day everyone.