Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,308
    Hello, penny, don't often see you this late on line.

I do read your posts and pleased you had a nice Thanksgiving and hopefully that your daughter is over her ailment now.

You seemed to go from quite nice and warm weather to suddenly cold and wet! I'm so pleased I don't have that problem here and sympathise for our dear friends in the UK who have also hit frost zone these last couple of days.

It's nice you keep in touch ... as an ex-Canada living gal (and my Sis, Kedi-Gato from Germany). [​IMG]

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,634
    Good (early) morning everyone.
    I've just been outside for a stroll and it is not as cold as last night. As I went outside Oscar came rushing out of the greenhouse and tried to trip me up. If he could understand English his ears would have been burning [​IMG] . He is actually becoming a bit of a nuisance because he either runs between my legs or throws himself in front of my feet whenever I walk in the garden. I trod on him twice yesterday but it doesn't seem to stop him. It's becoming dangerous for both of us. He was even getting in the way when I was using the lawn edging shears :eek: .

Does anyone know how to stop him from doing it? :confused: Thanks [​IMG]

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,634
    I've just been outside again as a car has run into a telephone pole. I called the police and ambulance and they both turned up within ten minutes. The driver didn't appear to be hurt but was taken to hospital and will then be taken to the police station as he had been breathalised and was over the limit. The car has also been towed away as it is by a bend.
    Excitement over [​IMG]

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Shiney,Walnut,Woo and all.

Just popping on in a drug induced haze and getting ready to go back to bed.

Shiney I have not heard of Ley Lines before I'll have to look that one up later.
    You are lucky the driver didn't do any damage to your garden Shiney I dare bet he made a right bang with the crash...can't understand drink drivers they are just plain stupid although it's rare that they do theirself any damage in crashes just the poor innocent folks knocking around at the wrong time and place!

John there's no damp in this house our old one did suffer from it but not this one, funny though I was in the best of health at the old house :confused:
    Good night all!
    Helen.xxx.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like Shineys drunk driver should have stuck to a ley line he wouldn't have ended up in a telegraph pole, as for my view on ley lines this fits it very wellSkeptical:(Skeptics of the actuality of ley lines often classify them as pseudoscience. Such skeptics tend to doubt that ley lines were planned or made by ancient cultures, and argue that apparent ley lines can be readily explained without resorting to extraordinary or pseudoscientific ideas).Don't blame the house Helen for your bad luck it's just a coincidence probably all the extra hard work you have done moving.Have a safe day everyone.

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,634
    Good morning everyone,

It has been at least a couple of years since a car has hit the telephone pole or the street light. Although they must have been hit over a dozen times since we have been here, including one new lamp post and three new poles, no one has ended up in our front garden. We live on a country road that is now unclassified but used to be an A road 20 years ago. It is a fairly wide road with a very deceptive bend and further down the road another telephone pole has been replaced four times to my knowledge. Not all the drivers had been drinking but they had been driving too fast for the road. In their wisdom the authorities put a 40 mph limit on the road about 5 years ago. It has reduced some of the driving to 60 mph!!!!

Re Ley Lines. I am also a rather sceptical persons and prefer hard science but try to keep an open mind. If our friends said it worked for them I accept what they say - with reservations. Although it is on a different matter I was very sceptical about dowsing (and still am) but have had first hand experience of it. For some years I suspected that we had a water leak. I thought that the pressure and flow were lower than they should be and I could hear water movement in the pipes when all the taps were turned off. Mrs shiney couldn't hear it but I have very sensitive hearing. Over the years the water authority came in twice to check it and said there was no evidence of a leak although the flow was a little low. The third time I called them in (some years later) I had told them that there was a noticeable drop in pressure and flow - I had done the highly technical test of holding my thumb against the tap spout to stop the water coming out. This is based on how long you can hold back the water because of build up in pressure. When they came out and tested they said there must be a leak because the flow and pressure are much too low.

They then spent three weeks trying to find the leak by using one of their highly sensitive electronic leak finders without success. I suggested that as our house is 100ft from the road it would be quicker to replace the whole pipe from the road to the house but they said that their rules don't allow it. Meanwhile Mrs shiney had been in contact with someone she knows who makes a living out of 'distant dowsing'!! How pseudoscientific can you get :eek: . He said that all he wanted us to do was send him a sketch of the house and mark the boudaries of our land. He didn't want any details of rooms etc. He sent it back marking three separate leaks on it. By that stage the water authority were willing to try anything. So their engineer dug in the easiest spot marked on the sketch which was the only one in a flower bed. He found quite a large leak and fixed it and said that it looked like wear and tear in an old pipe. He then tested the flow and pressure again and although it had improved it was still too low. They were now in their fourth week.

The next day he returned with his area supervisor. I pointed out that if they wished to believe the dowsing then we had a major problem. The supervisor said that they regularly use dowsers but had never heard of someone dowsing from 200 miles away. He asked me what the major problem was and I told him that one of the other spots marked is under the middle of the driveway and the third is in the middle of a laurel hedge that is 12ft high 30ft long and 20 ft wide with some trunks that have a diameter of 2ft. He then decided to replace the whole pipe [​IMG] and they did it using a mole that tunnels through the ground.

As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out with regard to dowsing but he did pinpoint one leak and showed that there were more leaks. The inspector was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but it could have been that he decided my original suggestion was the more economic option. The pipe was replaced after I had negotiated that I didn't have to pay towards it.

Have a great day everyone :D

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    [​IMG]

Morning everyone, lovely and sunny here, have a great sunday everyone

8. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,709
    Good morning Helen,Shiney,Walnut,Rosa and all my other friends all have a lovely Sunday and stay safe [​IMG]
    Rosa what a lovely greeting.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    good morning woo & kandy.
    woo thought you may like that one, have a lovely day

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone.What a beautiful sunny day :cool:

We have just got back home from a lovely holiday down in Hastings a place I have wanted to visit for a long time,apart from NZ that is :D

Hope you are all ok and getting over all your recent health and cat problems [​IMG]

Shiney,that was a long post and takes some reading.I hope you are up to speed with your typing and not doing your back in stooping over the keyboard [​IMG] :D

Rosa,lovely Owl greeting and Woo I do hope you have been taking it slowly with your project.I have loads of emails from family and friends to catch up with and the animals to sort out so I will wish you all a very good day in all you do [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rosa,sorry didn't see your post I must have been typing.We have just picked up the cats from theri holiday and are now going to see about picking up Punky and Mabel from their holiday.Hope you have a great day and that your back is a lot better now [​IMG]

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,308
    Goodness, one would think I got up at noon with all this chatter going on.

Such excitement in the night for you shiney. If I can figure out how to stop Cal wrapping himself around my ankles as I walk or tripping me up in general, I'll pass the secret on to you.

Welcome back, Kandy. Pleased you enjoyed your holiday in Hastings.

It's 20 and sunny so I wonder what we'll get up to today.

Have a good one, one and all and enjoy whatever you may be doing.

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,634
    Hi Kandy, I'm pleased you had a good holiday [​IMG] . Is three words a minute 'up to speed' :D

LoL, I guess I'd better not hold my breathe waiting for your revelations about Cal :D

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,308
    Good morning, shiney. I wasn't awake enough a while ago to read all of your post but have now done so.

Dowsing is practised here. When we were first having the renovations to the house, we discussed having a well drilled, but of course you have to know where to drill it considering the depth they go. Our builder at the time, a very reputable chap, used olive branches to find where it should be put, which wasn't in a very convenient place actually ... right in the middle of the path where we branch to the dining area and the parking area, so we dismissed the idea, and a good decision too as mains water came our way! This chap has dowsed many times and apparently was always correct.

15. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hola... :cool: why do we have to leave the sun behind hope your all ok. ten days off G.C.seems like a life time its feels a lot colder now.oh well better go and catch up and read some threads and thank the people that have send me some seeds [​IMG]