Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,634
    Kandy, I can't turn the propagator off, Mrs shiney keeps tender plants in there!

I think most people would remember the date of Christmas celebrations if they were up for 3 nights and four days :D . I also remember what I was doing when JFK got assassinated - the radio presenters ask that one every year! I was at the American missile tracking station on Ascension Island and found it quite embarrassing watching a group of 6ft + marines crying. :eek:

There is brilliant sunshine out there now and the frost is gradually going.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,312
    Morning everyone, and as you know it's not a good one here in the Algarve due to yesterday's tragedy. We watched the rescue on the 10 o'clock news last night.

This beach was closed for the winter. Virtually all of the beaches are cliff lined from central Algarve (where I live) to the West Coast and up the West Coast. Access is usually only by a pathway, steps or a rope ladder ... one way in and one out. I have pictures in Country Life of some of these accesses. I have not been to this particular beach but have taken some of my most dramatic photographs of waves from the cliffs above.

This incident has brought back unpleasant memories for me from 1989 when I had to repatriate a family from Guinea, West Africa, who died in a raging river incident. The 7 year old son got into the Land Rover parked at the edge of the river (I have visited the spot and it boggles the mind actually), released the handbrake and into the river it careened. The mother and father both jumped in whilst the teenage daughter and another family stood helplessly watching. The family and vehicle all went over a monstrous waterfall a hundred yards further along. We never found the father's body and the Land Rover was discovered many miles away.

I do not understand the mentality of parents who put their childrens' lives at risk in such situations, both the West African incident and this here yesterday.

This is the beach (photo courtesy of The Telegraph on line) ...

[​IMG]

I believe the incident happened near that rock in the sea and the currents would be very strong in such places.

On a more pleasant note, it's a beautiful morning and I wish you all a good day in whatever you do.

3. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Terrible tragedy LoL - as you say - why are people not aware of the things that can happen to
    their children?? I know what it feels like to lose family as my stepmother, two of her children and
    my baby brother were all drowned in the East Coast Floods 1953 - not a forseen incident.
    A shattering thing to happen - and is why we try always to be ultra careful to avoid dangerous
    situations that might occur.

[​IMG]

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney,no need to get exasperated with me.I am not to know what you keep in your propagator besides the cat :eek: We have a large propagator for tender plants,it's called a greenhouse.I am only trying to give advice about what to do with the cat [​IMG]

Now I must go as I have a Physio,Appointment to attend to this afternoon :rolleyes:

5. penny-remember me?

penny-remember me? Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning everyone~~!!

Its a cold and rainy morning here, we did get the grass cut though, they are calling for rain here aaaaaaalllll weeeeek....gee can you tell I'm thrilled (lol)!!

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,634
    Hi Kandy, I hope your physio went OK.

I was thinking of closing the door of the greenhouse to keep Oscar out but I had better not do it until Mrs shiney agrees. She should be back in just over a week.

I hope you all have a good day when you eventually get up :D . It doesn't seem to be quite so cold out there at the moment.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Shiney, Walnut and all.

Regarding the drowning in the Algarve such terrible news one can't imagine being caught up in the moment, maybe if one paused for thought before hand fewer people would have drowned.

But saying that where would we all be without hope?

It was very strange and spooky at the same time hearing about this tragic incident as only the day before Bob and I was talking about what if people thought of their own immortality before trying to rescue someone in mortal peril.

Bob in the past has rushed in to stop various things going too far from street fights with youths to a father beating his young son in the street!

Bob says now he would think about himself and his own family before getting involved and would phone for help i.e. the police instead of putting himself in harms way.....I would like to believe him but a tiger never changes his spots!

I would really hope he would think of himself and us his family before helping others, I know that sounds so very terrible but I don't know where I would be without him. :(
    Helen.xxx.

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Helen and everyone,Shiney I thought I had sleep problems,if I were you I would chuck the cat out of the greenhouse it sees you as a soft option they have these habits of adopting people, I new 3 people who argued over the ownership of a cat it used to go between all 3 to be fed and looked after,regarding the tragic accident "there was no lifeguard because the beach was shut for the season"that didn't stop the tour operators selling holidays what do they expect people to do when they go on hols sit in a chair and do macrame,like Bob Helen I still stick my neck out cann't walk by and let things happen, have a safe day everyone.

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone,Kandyfloss here reporting for posting :D

Shiney,yes I think you ought to wait until the boss gets back home so that she who must be obeyed can decide,no point in going grey with the worry of it all [​IMG] [​IMG] Perhaps if your edge cutting tool slipped and cut off his dangly bits it might slow him down :D If I can find the photo's on PB of the two blue cats that keep visiting our garden and upsetting my blue cat then you will see the problem that we also have.

The Physiotherapist is pleased with my progress and has given me more exercises to do to help strenghthen my back.I go back to see her in two weeks time.Thankyou for asking

Helen and Walnut,It doesn't seem to pay these days to help people in distress,such is the world the helpers are the ones likely to lose their lives.When I was a kid we used to go round turning the keys of peoples door bells and running off.If a policeman said he was coming to have a word with our dad we would be quivering in our shoes because we knew the punishment we were going to get,so realised there was no point in doing those sorts of things.The youngsters of today are wandering the streets in the early of the morning hours.If us kids wasn't in the house by 10pm my dad would be out looking for us,and I was 18 at the time... [​IMG]

10. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,710
    Good morning everyone I hope you are all well ,Have a good day and stay safe. [​IMG]

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,634
    Good morning again everyone,
    It's a lot milder this morning and I have done a couple of hours of tidying up in the garden as I have a busy day ahead.

Have a great day :D

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,312
    Good morning all. We had rain in the night which is a blessing. It's overcast now and 19 degrees but the sun is trying to come through.

jj, so sorry about your tragedy, I'm sure it never leaves you. [​IMG]

walnut, two sides of this country are entirely bordered by the sea, therefore many beaches. Most of them don't close, only the ones where it could be dangerous. I would imagine these families went there because of the isolation and/or seclusion. There are many beaches within minutes of this one that would be open and with lifeguards on duty.

Enjoy your day, on and all.

13. penny-remember me?

penny-remember me? Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning everyone...

Its cool and drizzely here, makes you want to curl up and nap......washing the insides of my windows, be nice to get the outside done too.
    Have a great day~~!

14. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,634
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm a bit annoyed at the moment. I've lost my Avatar and all my photos on photobucket. When I try to log in to check it out it tells me that I am not authorised to use my account. I got them to check my name and password and they are correct.

having checked on their forum it says that they are doing maintenance on the site and some people are experiencing problems because of it. fortunately for me I only use my account for GC. Quite a lot of people there use it for their Ebay accounts and have lost sales because they have lost their photos on Ebay.

I hope they get it sorted out OK because I can't be bothered to try and replace the photos [​IMG] [​IMG] :mad:

Have a great day :D

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all.

Bit early to post I know but sleep doesn't come easy to me now.

Walnut I went to the doctors again yesterday evening and I'm afraid I had to take him up on the morphine as yesterday just wasn't good for me.

I'm totally exhasted and have no energy at all even walking to and from the car is too much for me, I'll get the 'stuff' later on today and just maybe I'll get some sleep and a return of my 'normal' self.

I do hope you don't think I have failed you Walnut...it's just got too much for me I'm falling asleep every time I sit down in the daytime.... even in the car! :(
    Helen.xxx.