Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning gogs, woo and helen, trust you all are fine and well.
    weather is awful this morning, going shopping shortly.
    have a nice day

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :D Morning all... Thanks for the welcome back peeps.. Yes Kandy, it was allot warmer where I went. rosa is right I went to Jamaica again as we bought a Glass Bottom boat while we were out there in May, so had to go back & do allot of paperwork etc. All is good & it will start working the week after next...!!! Quite an exciting little venture really, one reason being that we run on GMT here... They run on JNT out there,,, Jamaica Nearly Time..!!!! It takes a long time o sort things & just as you are about to get exasperated it is sorted..!!!! A great country & people. Very colourful & so happy, even if the majority of the people have nothing, they are still a happy people on the whole. There will always be the troublemakers as in anywhere... :eek:

I did have my eyes opened wide though when I went to visit a friend who was rushed into hospital there (Montego Bay).. It was like going into a prison. Each ward is barred & locked & opened by security after you have been checked & searched for weapons...!!! You have to take all your own bedding & buy your own drugs as you are told what you need...!!!!!! Very frightening..!!! They do not keep any there as the gangs raid the hospitals periodically...!!!! As we are used to the NHS...! I promise I will never complain about our NHS again as it is wonderful compared with the care in Jamaica.!! My friend had an appendicitis & was flown to Florida after 8hrs in the Mo'bay hospital..... She is fine now, but hospitals are a bad place to have to go & most ex-pats make sure they take out Med Ins to take them off the island for treatment..!! While I was there a young Jamaican girl was put out of the hospital as she had a miscarriage & was bleeding badly still after 9 hrs.. The family couldn't raise the money for the blood transfusion & surgery..!!! We were all so distressed by this we clubbed together & bought it for her, she stayed in long enough to be on the road to recovery... I only hope she is still alright.. Do you know you even have to take your own bedding..!!! I think she must be, as my friend has not said anything to the contrary. Beautiful place, but so "us" & "them" it is not true. The Jamaican people are treated so badly still...!!! Westerners & Europeans are their bread & butter.. Still love the place & am hoping this new Govenrment will actually do something for the people, but somehow I don't think I will hold my breath...!! :rolleyes:

A great place, but not a fair place for the poeople..!!

Anyway have a great day all..!!! :D

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Marley Farley and welcome back!
    So pleased to hear that you have bought that glass bottom boat...I have never been in one, must be great to see all the fish swimming under your feet. Are they reasonable in price those boats? Do you have to pay a tax each year to own it?
    I see what you mean after the visit to the hospital...it opens your eyes. In spite of that people there are generally happy... you don't really need a lot to be happy, it is just that: the more you get and the more you want...
    But this applies not only to Jamaica, but lots of poor places around the world, where they have beautiful flowers...

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,641
    Good morning everyone

I'm back from my few days away and woke up to no heating or hot water :eek: . The automatic time clock had decided to reset itself to the factory settings during the night. I have dealt firmly with it [​IMG] [​IMG] and told it not to do it again :D .

I hope that all of you that had not been well are now feeling better.

MF, I visited Jamaica last December and had a good time but was appalled at the conditions some of the people live in. We hired a driver to take us to see the parts that tourists don't see and he brought an armed guard with him :eek: . It was a bit disconcerting but we have had similar things in other countries. I must say that all the people were really lovely. We were taken to a local hospital and were shocked at the conditions.

We also, of course, went to touristy type places whilst we were there. Have you ever been to 'Firefly'? It was Noel Cowards home and although the house was not big the views were fantastic.

These photos are of a bronze of him in his garden and also of his grave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a great day

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Marley,It does sound pretty awful out there,I shall think twice before I complain next time about rip off britain.I do hope as you say that things will change for the better for those poor people but I think that will be a long time down the line :eek: Glad that you were able to help out though and that you had a good time over there.

Shiney it looks like you had a good time over there as well.Didn't realise you had gone away.We get so used to you dissapearing from time to time,I never think you are away. :D

Sorry to hear that you had no heating when you got up.Perhaps your system wants bleeding [​IMG]

Rosa,I have seen the tins of sweets in Tescos,two tins for �£9.I will tell Mr kandy to get some for his dad he likes them.They were selling boxes of mincepies with the eat by date of 27th November.What good is that if you want them for xmas and they had shelves full of them,so stupid....

Just off to give Myrtle a polish inside ready for her service on Thursday and then I shall try to wash her tomorrow.Enjoy afternoon everyone...

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    By Kandyfloss:

I shan't.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    neither will i, :D goa is the same they have very poor people that srape by, us holidaymakers are their bread and butter and we always help the kids as much as we can, normally every couple takes a shine to one child and buys them something,
    we buy rice for the mother and sweets for the little ones.
    The youger lads that work in the shacks havnt got much so we help them out buy them clothes and pocket money and drinks in the day.
    lovely photos shiney

8. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,714
    Good Morning everyone I do hope you have woken up with a spring in your step and a smile on your face,all have a lovely day. [​IMG]

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Morning Woo and everyone, springing about all over the place Woo hope you are ok now, Marley thats some adventure for you the only thing is you will see that sort of trauma every day good luck to you, like john I will still complain about the nhs if not we will end up like it is over there, Shiney that view from firefly is just like the view from my back door, welcome back Helen I know you are there somewhere, have a safe day everyone.

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Woo, Walnut and all.

Shiney just love the picture of that view where the bronze of Noel Coward overlooks the bay.

I wonder did you take any pictures of his grave?

I'm no longer fit enough to take pictures of single war graves so Bob takes me around to do the famous ones.

We managed to find a few but the one below was the most haunting as she is only famous because of the way she was killed. :(

[​IMG]

Notice how even today her original stone is still maintained with love and care.
    Helen.xxx.

11. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning All.

Hope you are all ok this morning...

Helen, Shiney did take a photo of the grave. the photo is the one with the vase of flowers on it.I have lots of photos of the American War cemetary in Cambridgeshire,but I don't usually take photos of graves.

I want a green burial so as I have no children there won't be a problem with anyone tending my grave as I will be helping to make a new woodland..It's easy being green :cool:

Enjoy your day everyone [​IMG]

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,641
    Good morning everyone

woo, it's good to see your cheerful postings. They brighten up the day. Have a good one.

rosa, when we go to Egypt we take a stack of pencils with us. The kids all clamour for them.

Kandy, I was up in Daventry again and waved as I went past :D

Like John and walnut, I don't have any hesitation in complaining - but they still won't let me join 'grumpy old men' :mad:

walnut, do you get the hot weather as well?

Helen, here is a close-up.

[​IMG]

Have a great day :D

13. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning again to all of you sleepy heads I missed first time round [​IMG] :D

John I think you misunderstood me yesterday when I was talking about rip off Britain,I know we are all being conned by every goverment that comes in to power always have done always will do.Unless you were born into wealth or have aquired wealth along this path of life we will always feel like we are being screwed. :rolleyes:

I was actually on about the fact that we have a NHS,where we can get things done on occassions,and yes I know the NHS is in a crisis,what I meant was at least we are not like those poor souls who probably die because they haven't got the money to pay for treatment etc.We could all change the world if we had the power to do so but unfortunatly our hands are tied.
    That is why I like watching programmes like The Secret Millionaire on TV tonight,as it shows that there are caring people in this world who started with nothing and though they have now made it big,they have given some of it back to less fortunate people.It has me in tears every time I watch the programme [​IMG]

Shiney,your arms weren't long enough,as I didn't see you waving.Would giving money to the Egyption kids help them more than pencils?

Now I must dash as I have to wash Myrtle ready for tomorrow...

Enjoy the rest of your day folks [​IMG]

14. penny-remember me?

penny-remember me? Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning everyone.

We finally get a nice, warmer day, and its raining (figures huh)....and they are calling for snow this weekend, i wish the weather would make up its mind!!!
    Off to tackle my windows....have a great day~~!!

15. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Penny,Your weather sounds like ours over here at times,though only the North of the country have had snow up to yet.I do love the snow thouhg especially round Xmas time.Good luck with the windows and be careful [​IMG]