Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Helen I`ve had 2 MRI scans in the past year. And, I have to say they were 2 completely different experiances. The first one I had was very noisy and quite claustrophobic, but with the second one, I was given headphones to put on to listen to some music, the radiologist also fitted a mirror above my head so that I could see what was happening outside the machine. If you have the headphones and mirror the feeling of claustrophobia isn`t there.

2. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ee all my experiences with MRI scans have been horrible scary nightmare material stylee stuff. Not once was i made to feel comfortable or safe in anyway, which is ironic considering one of those scans was for behaviour in my back as reactions to anxiety!

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I tried posting on here this morning and lost the whole lot when I tried to post it so I will try again.

When I had my MRI scan I was a little bit worried because I too suffer with a dislike of closed in spaces but it wasn't quiet as bad as I had thought.Admittedly the ceiling isn't very far away from your face,but there was a vent that blew cold air onto my face to help with the feeling of getting too hot in there.

The lady who pushed me into the machine had given me a panic button to press if needed and asked about whether I wanted music or not.After I said yes she put onto my ears a pair of large industrial ear defenders before starting up the music and the machine.I couldn't understand why the music was so loud until the machine got going.The noise of the machine was very loud and I was starting to think I was in a rocket heading for the moon :rolleyes:

No sooner was I in the machine,I just closed my eyes and did deep breathing which I found helped a lot.I opened my eyes a couple of times,well it was a squint really and then I just closed them and concentrated on the music.{Elton John singing When Are You Going To Come Down} not quiet the record I would have chosen.

I was soon being pulled out of the machine and when I asked how long I had been in there for was told fourteen minutes,whereas I was told it would take twenty minutes.I found the worst part was the strange feeling that I felt afterwards.I couldn't say exactly how I felt,but I just didn't feel with it for at least a couple of hours.

I think anyone who goes for one of these scans needs to go with an open mind and just use it as an experience [​IMG]

4. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I agree Kandy, you do feel disorientated, but trust me, without the earphones it is REALLY loud.

5. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi David,I was going to say the noise of the machine was horrendous but didn't want to frighten anyone away from having one.The machine also kept stopping and starting as it took each batch of photo's and it was facinating seeing what the insides of me look like,and my vertebrea when I was given the sheets of xrays and the ladies were really nice and pleasant :cool:

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I didn`t get to see what my innards were like, unfortunately, but going back to the noise, the radiologists are supposed to give you the earphones so that you don`t hear the machine, in this area you can even take your own CD`s to listen to. It`s just that the first time I went the guy just wasn`t up to the job.

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    David,I was offered the ear phones by the Radiologist so said yes.I didn't know you could take music in with you,just told not to wear anything with metal within it so had to take my bra off.I was allowed to keep my wedding ring on because it is gold and wouldn't upset the machinery.

I had my MRI scan done in a mobile unit because to wait to have one done under the NHS would have taken me another five months of waiting.I had already waited and been in agony for three months,so I paid for it and got the appointment within a week.I was also asked about whether I had any metal plates in my head or any pacemakers fitted :rolleyes:

8. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I wasn`t even allowed to wear my wedding ring. Imagine if you had a metal plate in your head and you didn`t tell them, you`d be stuck to the top of the machine. :D . Seriously though, I think the benefits of the machines out weigh the side effects.

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning guys and girls.

Well after all that talk about a MRI scan you guys have got me cr*pping myself :eek: only joking or am I? [​IMG]

Its nice to know that some of you guys have had the experience of a MRI scan at least I will know what to expect if and when the time comes.

The headphones option sounds wonderful as it's pretty normal for me to listen to music this way, I also love to have the volume up pretty loud hence the headphones!

If I'm able to take my music (that's if the doctors do decide that I need a scan)then I'll take my Andrea Bocelli cd I can listen to his version of Ave Maria until the cows come home and really there's no better way to relax......and lets face it if you hate being in tight places you do really need to relax not a great time to listen to my normal rock music!

Anyhow guys still suffering something rotten yesterday was one of my worst days so far and I'm not ashamed to say I cried like a baby two or three times....boy do I hope that I am able to have some relief soon, I feel like I'm stuck in a vortex!

As always it's nice to know you guys are there for me and I can't thank you enough. [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Morning Helen and all sorry you had a bad day elly and all this talk of scans don't let it put you off they are a doddle, I had one a few months ago on my bonce after a fall off my bike earlier in the year left me with tinitus, it was a ct scan the top half of your body goes in the m/c and the platform your on goes up and down over in no time,had one of the mri full body scans after another bike accident you go completely inside for this one and you do get earphones the time flies, so don't be worried, whats a short time in a scanner if it helps sort out your problem, have a safe day everyone.

11. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,719
    Good morning Helen Walnut and all my other friends all have a great day Helen Sorry about your rough Day yesterday Please Don't worry to much If you have to have a scan Its a breeze you will sail through it [​IMG]

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Morning all, sorry yesterday was such a bad day Helen. Never be afraid to say how you feel. I think most of us have some idea of severe pain here & the toll it takes on you!!! :(

I would like to say that I too have had a scan. I too was very very apprehensive as do not like small spaces etc. I talked to my Dr & he gave me a couple of pills to take the night before & on the day to relax me a little. I took my Ipod in with me & of course the panic button. I did deep breathing like Kandy, shut my eyes & hoped for the best!! It wasn't as bad as I thought!! It came out fine by the way... [​IMG]
    [​IMG] The thing is Helen, as Walnut says, far better to find out what it is & what they can do now, than to find yourself a yr or so down the road, only to be told. "Well of course if you had had that scan we would have known about it & could have done something"!!!!Just grab the bull by the horns Hel & get it done..!!!! Good Luck! [​IMG]

Well, everybody have a good day in all you do, take care. Off to the shops today...! :rolleyes: :D

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,671
    Good morning Helen and walnut and everybody,

Helen, sorry to hear you are not too good. I hope you feel better soon. I'll be thinking of you whilst I'm away [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have a great day everyone :D

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,671
    Morning woo and Marley, you posted while I was typing (and answering a phone call). Have a good day.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi everyone arrived safely in goa, having a great time, lovely and hot.