Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all no I haven't woke up in pain but by the earth quake it was huge and happened just a few minutes before 1am. only for a few seconds but it was still quite scary. :eek:

I found it very strange how only a few of my neighbours were woken up by it! :confused:

It was like someone was shaking my whole bedroom, poor Bob ran upstairs and thought I had fallen out of bed.

I had thought it was a local thing in the Sheffeild/Rotherham area but I was so very wrong as Compost Maker (Jean)felt it in Lancashire!Hel.xxx.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,740
    Good Morning all my Friends Hope you are all ok,Have a good day and stay safe. [​IMG]

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Morning Helen Woo and all,Helen I told you the reason for the eathquake in the weather thread,the real reason the epicentre was in the Market Raisen area one old guy was injured by a falling chimney in South Yorkshire minor structural damage elsewhere,biggest tremmor in britain for 25years,so keep your heads down and have a safe day.

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Yawn,Good Morning everyone yawn,Only just got up after being woken up at 12.55 am? by the whole of the house shaking and a strange noise like a sound wave? I thought I was dreaming but it woke Mr Kandy as well..

The cat shot off the bed and vanished.We thought at first that the house had been hit by a car,but then suspected an Earthquake,yawn because the same thing happened a few years ago when we were living here,when they had that one with the epicentre in Dudley :rolleyes:

They have just given it out on the TV that there was an Earthquake out Lincolnshire way {Market Reyson?} of 5.2 magnitude.It was felt by people down in Bedfordshire :eek: We also felt the one in 1984 when we were working for Plessey.I was in the canteen at the time and one half of the canteen tables all moved like a small wave for a couple of seconds.

Mr Kandy went round the house checking everything was ok but then we couldn't get back to sleep because it made us a bit jittery and now I feel shattered because I crashed back out :(

Hope you all have a good day in all you do [​IMG] ...Yawn

[ 27. February 2008, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Kandyfloss ]

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :D Cheeky Walnut I did of course answer you with my own lovely band of humour on the weather thread.

Kandy Market Rasen is quite close (as the crow flys) to us and boy was it scary but what I found very strange was that my two Yorkies were not bothered in the least with the shaking.... in fact they dropped back to sleep quite soon afterwards normally they would be shaking like a leaf at something so strange!Hel.xxx.

6. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    morning all my first words to lady imp was did the earth move for you last night....she just looked at me after a rubbish nights sleep paused and said pathetic :D :D ...haha is it just women that take half hour to wake up..have a safe day ;)

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,735
    I was sitting in the lounge reading when it happened. I knew what it was because we had a 7.8 earthquake in New Zealand on 20th December. With that one my dinner plate ran away from me :eek: :D . They had quite a lot of damage there but no one was seriously hurt.

Have a great day :D

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning everyone, As i said in other post, the earthquake was here also, wasnt a very nice experience bed shaking my thoughts were i was visted by ghosts, are we likely to get another one of these its my first experience of such a thing.
    have a great day all

9. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,740
    Good Morning everyone Hope you are all well and rested all have a good day and stay safe [​IMG]

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Woo and all.

Thankfully a very peaceful night after the scary visit from the earthquake the other night.

Rosa not sure if the earthquake had the same affect where you are as here? but I was amazed just how many people slept through it and it was by no means a small shudder.

I do agree with you it was very much like I was getting a visit from a very angry poltigist and I now know the feeling of having your whole life flashed before your eyes....only seconds but it seemed a very long time indeed! :eek:

Ste you need your hands slapping not all 'us' women need half an hour to wait up..... well not all the time! :D

Shiney 7.8 I can't imagine how horrific an earthquake of that size can be and to be honest I wouldn't want to experience even another 'small' one anytime soon!

Hope you all have had a pleasant restful nights sleep.Hel.xxx.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Morning Woo Helen and all,moved more earth than the quake did yesterday I repotted some stuff,potted my nana in a 28"pot moved some palms up into 14"pots, got 2 more 28" pots not decided what to put in them i've got my strelitzia,gunnera or favourite bruggies to choose from mmm decisions decisions,have a safe day everyone.

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,735
    Good morning everyone.

walnut, I bet those pots take a lot of compost :eek: [​IMG]

Helen, there was quite a bit of structural damage near the epicentre of the earthquake in New Zealand but it was peculiar that there was very little fuss in the newspapers. I suppose the area was so lightly populated that people were not greatly affected. When we were travelling up the Pacific coast of South America there were tremors almost every day (most of them quite light) but the people are quite used to it. They have virtually no railways running anymore because of earthquake damage. They say it is much easier to repair roads than to repair railways :eek:

Yesterday we saw Oscar carrying a rabbit into the greenhouse (where he lives) so Mrs shiney went out to have a look. He had it under the staging but when Mrs shiney went in there he brought it out for her to look at - but didn't let go of it [​IMG] [​IMG] She patted him on the head and he then took it back under the staging. Mrs shiney will go out there today to see what he has left. I can see him fast asleep in the propagator.

Have a great day :D

13. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Morning all, a quiet one today!! Not experienced an earthquake myself, but have left California twice now, the day before they had a quake!! [​IMG] Thank Goodness! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Shiney, I take it Oscar is the cat... Our cat used to catch rabbits & bring them home to dine on..!! As he got older it stopped as he wasn't quick enough.. He would take himself off a couple of times a year & live "wild" in a barn about a 1/4 of a mile away... The first time he went we thought he must be gone forever or caught in a trap, as he was gone for 5weeks..!! Then on one of his dissapperances my daughter & I discovered him in the barn when we were out walking one day.. [​IMG] So after that we would check up there if he was missing.. Sure enough there he was, getting fat on rabbits & other animals!!! He would always come home though if there was a storm on the way... [​IMG]

His name was "Little" & he lived to the grand old age of 21.. I brought him as a kitten, the 7 miles home zipped up inside my leather jacket as I rode a motorcycle then. He managed to poke his head out of the coller when I was stopped at a junction.. Had a heck of a job to push him back inside & not hold the traffic up..!!! He was one of a litter of those ferral cats that live on a big farm... I guess it was ingrained in his instincts to go off hunting. He was only 7 weeks old when we got him! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Have a great day all whatever you may be doing..

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning everyone, just getting ready will be on my way to the airport soon to pick hubby up, by 4 weeks has gone by quick, didnt seem that long ago i was sunning it in goa, then having this earth quake since i cam back, what next.
    have a great day everyone im away for breakfast on the way back.

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,735
    MF - that's a good age for a cat. [​IMG]

Oscar is a cat that took over our greenhouse a year or so ago. I evicted him last year but he won the pyschological battle by getting Mrs shiney on his side. He is getting on in years as we have seen him around the garden for about ten years and he was an adult then. He is very affectionate and very vocal and spends a lot of the daytime on our front mat greeting all Mrs shiney's clients and demanding a tummy rub :D He spends his nights in our heated propagator but he hasn't yet put in a demand for a blanket [​IMG] :D