Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Morning everyone,hope you all had a great weekend and a good Fathers Day for all of those who celebrated it:thumb:

Had a good day yesterday,mr Kandy and myself left home quiet early and took a load of plants over to the allotment where Mr Kandy preseded to get them put out into a spare piece of ground which I quickly rotavated to alow him to be able to ut in the plants.He then had to put down some net cloches after I had watered them in to keep the birds off as they are begining to get a right pain in the bum.:rolleyes:

Our peas have germinated in a week so they too have had to be netted and Mr Kandy has also put out the Butternut Squash plants that we are trying for the first time this yearas Mr Kandy has got a taste for them.:)

Shiney as you are the BS,expert can you give me soemadvice as to how much room they will need as I am sure somewhere I read from you that they can be quiet rampant,Ta...:thumb:

LoL hope you have had a good weekend especially now you are getting into the peak holiday seaon..

Helen hope that Bob is feeling a lot better and not doing too much in the garden.

Rosa,you will need a holiday after all the work you have been doing to your flat:)

Have a nice day everyone in all that you do.I shall be over at the lottie at some point today watering all the stuff we put in yesterday and some of the other stuff that went in last week:D

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Kandy and all, yes had a great day yesterday taken out to lunch got some nice presents(some garden gift vouchers) looking forwards to spending them,hope you are looking after your back Kandy and not overdoing it wrestling with rotavators,I'm shipping out loads of plants today for sale at a garden party in aid of charity I usually get well looked after with tea and cakes provided by the older ladies,have a safe day everyone:thumb:

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :) Morning everyone, well quite a busy weekend over with..!! Grand children in & out most of yesterday which was nice..!:thumb:

:( Helen, I am so sorry to hear Bob is not doing so well.. I hope things will improve a bit for him. Tell him to take it easy..;):)

;) Don't work too hard Kandy..!

:thumb: Have a great day whatever you may be doing..!

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning everyone, we have had glorious weather so warm, sat on my balcony yesterday it was a pleasure seeing all my climbers growing lovely, just put my outside lights back up around my arch.
    well nearing the end got a few strips of paper to finish in my lounge and kandy it is handy me doing the decorating but very tiring these days and saves money rather than getting someone in.
    brother arriving at 9 to finish my kitchen, hes going to skim my ceiling, tile the walls back were they were smashed and grout them and the floor.
    will be busy tommorow guys are coming with all my things that were in storage, 50 boxes to open.
    have a great day all

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,780
    Good morning everyone,

Kandy,
    Butternut Squash need as much space and you can give them. If you imagine that they are like a bigger version of tomato plants but are lying down instead of upright you will start to get the idea. The main stem will grow as much as you let it and it has side shoots that have the squash growing on them. You can, of course, train them in a spiral if you have limited space. I usually let our squash grow about 20ft long but you can stop them when they have reached the limit of your space. I let the side shoots grow about 4 or 5ft. The leaves are quite big but not as big as courgette leaves. Then give them plenty of water and keep an eye out for slugs and snails. When they grow they do not usually have the orangy, buff colour that you see when they are in the shops. You pick them towards the end of the season or when they are big enough for you. When you pick them you want to leave on as much of the stump as possible (about 2 inches) and then leave them out in the sun for about a week to dry out (like onions). I suppose it would be best for you to take them home for that.

Walnut,
    I hope your plant sale goes well. Yesterday we had our village fete and the weather was perfect for it. Mrs shiney was (wo)manning the stall for the gardening club and they had thousands of plants. Although they were very busy and sold lots of them there were still quite a lot left over and we took a car load of plants home. We had taken a car load there but brought back different plants. Most of the other helpers didn't have room in their gardens for the left overs.

When I took Mrs shiney and the plants to the fete about 10.30 there were already nearly a thousand cars parked around the village green :eek:. There loads of stalls, side shows, rides, a band, a show ring, a vintage car display, a bird of prey display and lots of craft and jewellery stalls in the village hall. I didn't have time to look around because of helping my sister and BIL with their garden. I cut back their trees and then cut their grass (quarter of an acre) and then went home to rest - poor old thing :D

It is beautiful weather again today :thumb:

Have a great day :D

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Kandy, Walnut, Marley, Rosa and all.

Shiney nothing beats a village fete lovely to see your neighbours enjoying themselves although sometimes I wish the children had a volume control switch on them or it could well be just be me getting older! :rolleyes:

Kandy we are joining the ranks of lottie holders with you sweetie, never thought in all my life I would get so excited about an over grown patch of land before but boy am I looking forward to getting stuck in.

Walnut if the ladies look after you too well with the cream cakes etc. you might just have to add an extra mile or two to your bike ride to work those calories off :D, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself both with the cakes and the ladies as well.

Marley glad you had a lovely day with your grandchildren hope the weather was nice for both them and you.

Rosa it will seem just like christmas opening all those boxes only problem you will know whats in them all....never mind it will be lovely to have your flat to yourself once again.

Off to the lottie in a short while to see the guys there gotta to keep them sweet! Have a lovely day people no matter what you are upto.Hel.xxx.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lol Shiney you posted while I was checking my spelling.

Boy you have had a busy time working away darling I do hope you were well looked after by both your sister and b-i-l.:thumb:Hel.xxx.

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,780

Hi Helen,
    I didn't have time to have even a cuppa at my sister's :eek:. I got home for a late lunch and an hour with my feet up, reading, before I had to go back to the fete to help out. We got home about 6.30 and Mrs shiney watered the greenhouse and pot plants - which took nearly an hour with the hose. Then she fed and cuddled Oscar :) and we went to the Indian in the village.

Mrs shiney just told me Oscar is now getting his voice back :thumb:

9. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,456
    Good morning, everyone. :)

It seems like you have all had busy weekends with your various outings and projects. We on the other hand had a lazy weekend ... Saturday the temperature soared to 38.8 so we were invited over to our friends for a swim and game of ball in their pool .... it was SO refreshing. Their grandson has a blow-up banana float and we had great fun with that! :rolleyes: It was almost like being on holiday.

Yesterday we made the silly decision to go to the beach for lunch ... all of Portugal was on the Algarvean coast I can tell you! There was no room for tourists. Parking was a nightmare. :eek: In the end we went to our favourite place (Kalu Bar which is well hidden and you have to know where it is) and had a lovely lunch. The temp was only around 30 and there was a wonderful sea breeze. We got to see the new ferry 'Volcan de Tijarafe' embark on its maiden voyage from Portimão to Funchal (Madeira), a new weekly service, a 21-hour journey.

It's supposed to be cooler this week, only 24 now, so will get a few outdoor tasks done.

Enjoy your day!

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,780
    Good morning everyone,

I know it's a little bit early to start this but we have been told that our power is going to be cut off from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. so I thought I would just say hello :thumb: :D

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone,well another day dawns.I can't believe that we are into the middle of June already:eek:

Shiney hope the power isn't off too long.I expect that is what you get when you live out in the sticks:D I passed on your message to Mr Kandy and he hadn't realised just how much room they would need.We have already lost one Cucumber plant so that is one less to worry about.

Walnut my back is ok when I stand upright,it is only when I kneel or bend down that it starts to play up so I have to stop what I am doing and go and do something else.:rolleyes: Glad to hear you had a good fathers day with lots of nice prezzies.:thumb:

Lol,sorry that your seaside trip was ruined with all those damn portugese people.They should stay indoors and just let the tourists go to the beaches after all that is why they pay good money to visit these hot countries;):D

Helen enjoy your allotment plot but don't try to do it all at once,there is plenty of time to get it all done.You now need to go to Plotty's website {Edible Gardening} to see how he has brought a derilict couple of plots round to perfection.If you need any advice just shout.

Rosa,looks like you are going to have fun with all the unpacking of your 50 boxes,rather you than me,at least it will look good when everything is in place.

Got all the watering done yesterday and got stung to death by all the nettles I was trying to pull up,and I have also got a split lip which keeps bleeding when I smile.. Ouch.

Enjoy another warm day everyone:)

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,780
    Good morning,
    I'm still here :thumb:

Before they cut off our electricity I'd better go and use up all the electricity left in the wires :D. Got to do my bit to save power :)

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning everyone another busy day for me, decorating in lounge just about finished 1 piece to put in, brother arriving to do kitchen tiles today, will be busy later opening boxes and placing back all my ornaments, do hope none are smashed.bathroom tiles still not in dont know how it takes 4 weeks to get from italy.
    im going to have my balcony tiled looking for some nice bright spanish tiles, brother is getting catalogue from the tile shop for me to have a look see what they have got.
    have a lovely day everyone

14. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mornin peeps :D

Have a fantastic day and stay safe :D

15. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :thumb: Morning everyone, glad to hear the decorating is going well rosa even if the tiles are holding you up a bit.. Good Luck with it all..!!!

:thumb:Busy day here today, plus hospital as well..
    Have a great day everyone whatever you may be doing..!:thumb: