Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all.

Shiney I saw that show the other day with Marguerite Patten on, my goodness she was a mountain of information and all packed into a little cute package she was wonderful!

Long Johns indeed I now have visions of old man Steptoe!:lollol:

Yes Ste I'll start up a monthly movie thread but I have to warn you I just don't have the time anymore to 'go' as often as we did last year as back then we were going and seeing as many as four or five films a week and we did see some right naff ones I can tell you.

Our Cineworld 'Golden Ticket' (as we like to call it) is going up to £13.99 Bob's horrified (nothing new there) but I think it's still a bargain.

I still have to go and get Dan's gf her birthday presents might be brave and venture out today.
    Have a lovely Sunday guys.Hel.xxx.

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone.

Shiney,thanks for the trip down memory lane though I probably wasn't born when you were visitng those cafes:hehe: I am glad that rationing had ended by the time I was born though with all the kids my parents had food was sc**** anyway:p

When me and my friends were at senior school we use to go down to the local town and would go into Boots the Chemists where down stairs they would have their record sales area and two booths.We would ask the assistant to put on the current chart record,some thing like Lady Barbara? by Hermins Hermits or Sugar Sugar by the Archies,happy days:lollol:

I found this item for sale on ebay the other day.My parents had one on their lounge wall and I regreted not choosing it as my one item we were allowed to have from her house clearance.My young niece had it instead and I don't know what happened to it.The one on ebay was going for £14.99 starting bid with £15 p&p but needs rewiring and it is down in Whiltshire.It is a lot to pay if it doesn't work and anyway I haven't got an account with them...
    [​IMG]

Helen hope the trip to the shops for the prezzie turns out ok and talking of the pictures,I haven't been for years.Last time we went was to see the last Dinasaur film thta was showing,Jurrasic park 3 or something like that:p

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,475
    Good morning Helen and everyone,

It's another sunny but frosty day.

Marley, I remember Adam Faith quite well. He was one of the 2i's resident singers :thumb:. Do you remember his TV series 'Budgie'. It was very popular and he also influenced the fashion industry when the 'Budgie' jackets became popular.

Helen, Marguerite Patten is still considered by other celebrity cooks to be one of the best and the BBC still employ her as an advisor at the age of 92 s00k:). Did you ever see the film 'Absolute Beginners'? It wasn't particularly good as a pop musical with a message and flopped in the cinemas but has since become a cult movie.

Mrs shiney and I go to the cinema almost once a year :hehe::rotfl:. The last two films we have seen are Mama Mia and Miss Potter. Take care when you go out.

Have a great day :D

4. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,475
    Morning Kandy,

I got a couple of phone calls whilst I was typing my post so missed your's. Have a great day :D

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Morning everyone,
    Oh yes shiney I remember "Budgie" a great serries, 1971 if my memory serves me corectly.. Always loved Ian Cuthbertson in it as well, a great actor.. Do you also remember the money programs Adam did in later life as well, a shrewd investor..?:wink:

:thmb: Well Hel, Kandy Shiney & all have a great day whatever you are doing..!

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,475
    Marley, yes, I remember the money programmes and your wink and question mark were appropriate. I think, as a financial advisor, he went bankrupt with debts of about 30 million :rotfl:

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :rotfl: Yes I know shiney, sad really as he was a great guy, but it was because of Lloyds & his TV channel, that he lost out in the end...... :wink::dh: I found this, I know it is quite long but it makes excellent reading & contains a couple of gems about him I didn't know before....

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,475
    An excellent review there :gnthb:. Thanks Marley.

It mentions in there that he worked with Joe Brown - another excellent pop character whose concerts are still sell-outs. Joe has always been a really entertaining performer with a great sense of humour. I met him a few times and he certainly believed in having fun :yho:

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb::wink: Oh yes a great sense of humour, you were lucky to meet him as well... So did you also see Tommy Steele too then as he was a reg at 2i..:)

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,475
    I don't ever recall seeing Tommy Steele there although I know he was a regular. I met Joe Brown socially a few times and he was an absolute nutter :thmb: :yho:. Great fun to have around.

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,475
    Good morning everyone,

It is a dull and dreary day but not snowing. I think I shall just stay indoors and do some paperwork :ywn:. I've got to work on a lottery bid so that will keep me busy :(.

I organised a supper and quiz at the bridge club on Saturday night and we should have raised a few hundred pounds for charity :gnthb:. I've still got the accounts to do.

Keep warm and cosy.

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Shiney and all.

Yes Shiney I have seen Absolute Beginners not really my cup of tea I prefer the older musicals and of course the corny ones like Half a Six-pence Tommy Steel what a smile and cheeky humour in fact it's one of the few musicals Bob sings along too I'm sorry to write!:doh:

Ooh Marely Adam Faith in Love Hurts what a charmer he was it that and so witty too life doesn't get better than that it ticks all my boxes so to speak!:hehe:

Well done Shiney for yet another money event at this rate you will have earned golden wings, do let us know whats what when the pennies have been counted.

Yesterday had a wonderful day Bob and I managed to go on a shopping trip that clocked up 80 miles or so thankfully the roads were clear. Yesterday evening after a lovely sunny day we were rewarded with heavy snow again so once more it's impossible to get off the estate and to make matters worst we have been promised another 6-8 inches of it today!:flag:

Keep safe and warm guys.Hel.xxx.

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Morning Shiney, morning Hel, Yep Hel, Adam Faith was alright I agree....:thmb::D Ah well shiney I expect Joe Brown was more fun than Tommy would have been,,:wink::D

:( Well today is wet & drear so far & the snow is slowly melting to reveal a horrid muddy mess..!!!! :(:(

:thmb: I think I will join you in the staying in bit today shiney, I have some paperwork to catch up on too.....:)

:thmb: Have a good, safe day everyone & keep warm & dry..!

14. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning Shiney,Hel,Marley,Imp,Shobhna and everyone else reading this post,hope you are all well and not getting too snowed in or wet with with all the recent snow:)

Had a brilliant weekend with Mr K chilling outand visiting a garden centre to get some seeds that we are missing so we are now prepared for the oncoming fantastic year of gardening we are going to have:thmb:

Managed to pick up for free a really nice carboard box that the garden center had chucked along with others in a pile as they are no longer giving out free carrier bags.It did contain six fine bone china mugs but for some reason they sold the mugs with out the box.The box has all wild flowers printed on it just right for my taste in wild flowers and to store my seeds in:hehe::thmb:

Had a good day yesterday clearing out a lot of rubbish that is doing nothing but taking up space,including loads of emails on my computer that I have had stored for a couple of years and feel like I no longer need.I feel a new start now that the rubbish has gone and look forward living with less clutter gathering dust:D

Shiney,good on you for raising some more money for good causes.Have you picked this years charity yet?

Hope you all have a great day in everything you do:thmb:

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,475
    Good morning Kandy and everyone,

Marley, Helen, when I was at college I had a friend who looked a lot like Adam Faith (except he was taller) and when we used to walk around the West End he got a lot of people asking for his autograph:hehe:. He could also sing like Adam Faith (which he did at the college dances) but his speaking voice was broad Scots :rotfl:

Kandy, well done in clearing a lot of your rubbish. We have loads of stuff that we need to clear but never get around to it :(. We are going to have to do something as this year we want to redecorate the lounge and build some new bookshelves - which have books, records, tapes, CD's, magazines and our HiFi sytem on them. The shelves are starting to bend and bow. We are going to have to get rid of some of the books and magazines. There are over 1,000 books, 500 mags, 500 LP's and loads of tapes and CD's. I suppose the books and mags can go to the charity shops but it is always difficult to chuck out things that you have had for years.

We have made £300 for charity from our event the other day :gnthb:. The club committee will pick which charity it will go to.

Mrs shiney and I haven't yet picked which charity we shall support with our garden this year. I'm going to contact the person who runs one of the voluntary services who should know who, locally, needs support.

The snow has finally gone - for now :)

Got to go, lots to do, cough cough, sniff sniff, splutter splutter :hehe: