Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    Good morning everyone,

It's good to hear that you are all able to get going on potting and planting. :gnthb:

The ground here is very dry and we have only had one hour of rain in the last week. Only three weeks to the open day and Mrs shiney is working hard in the greenhouse preparing lots of things for the plant sale. She has pricked out and potted up dozens of toms, runner beans are growing very well, the geraniums that Strongy sent us for our charity are doing brilliantly :thmb: and lots of seeds that we got from the Seed Swap are starting to do well.

We are experimenting with growing a much sweeter variety of butternut squash this year that is called Coquina. We bought the squash in Sainsburys and it tasted so much better than the normal one that we have planted the seeds. The runner beans that we have grown for our garden are reading for planting out but we shall give them another week in the greenhouse. Some of our greenhouse toms are starting to flower and we also intend trying some toms in pots in the pergola on the patio.

Oscar has been supervising all this work and doesn't seem to mind that his house has been moved out of the propagator to make room for the seedlings. :) He is very good in the greenhouse and carefully weaves in and out of our pots and plants without damaging them.

Our freezer seems to be working OK now and the computer is also running OK. I have had to replace the screen and have still got to load up the backed up files as well as still trying to get used to the updated operating system and programmes. :scratch:

Have a great day :D

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning woo, kandy , shiney and everyone.
    just got up had a little lie in, woo have a lovely day out in higham guess we will see some lovely pics that you get looking forward to seeing them.
    kandy had a great day out yesterday with my friend it was a lovely walk at the royal quays marina and the highlight was seeing the heron here on the north east coast, the locals call the heron their resident heron.
    have a great day all this bank holiday monday

3. scillygirl

scillygirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm here in the morning (almost) two days running..only because I'm in bed with a cold today. Managed to get that planting done yesterday before I succumbed :thumb:
    Helen, your help with a fork would have been handy, when Mr S was digging the hole for the tree - our ground is so full of stones, he had to use a crowbar for the first half hour! Anyway we now have a little hawthorn tree, the first tree I've ever planted as I've never had a permanent enough place before.
    Kandy, the horse poo is well rotted, we are lucky we can go and take what we want from the back of the heap where the older stuff is. The only thing we have to watch is that the stables are in an old walled estate garden which is over-run with knotweed, so we don't want to be bringing any bits of that!
    Hope the sowing and planting is going well for everyone, and all have a great day x :)

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyonehope you all had a good weekend and a nice extra day yesterday:)

Had some rain yesterday and the wind was cool,more like winter than spring weather but at least we have the heatwave to look forward to in the summer months,just right for me paddle in the sea:D

Rosa,you did well to get the photo of that Heron.They are usually too far away for us to get a good shot of them or are flying over us:D

Scillygirl,nice for you with the muck,they just burn it round here or charge a fortune for it because they think where we live we are all rolling in it.I make all my own compost for our allotment and also have a very kind man that supplies me with leaves,plus his neighbours so we/I normally shift at least seventy dustbin bags full in the Autumn which make some nice leaf mould when it has rotted down.:)
    Sorry to hear about your cold,hope you feel better soon...:thmb:

Are you still over on the Scilly isles? We went there in October yonks ago to doa bit of birdwatching and stayed in a nice B&B in Church Street? St Mary's and had a great week down there:D

Hope you all have a great day in all that you do:)

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Kandy and all.

Didn't make it on-line yesterday as I was laid up all day I think it was the drop in temperature as it seems to affect me that way and I did feel so sorry for myself but I'm much better now thank goodness.:thmb:

Scillygirl lol about the crowbar my hubby carries one about in our boot in case he spots large pallets and needs to split them to fit into the car but I wonder sometimes if that excuse would ever work if we were stopped and searched by the police.

Shiney I have lost our butternut squash seeds along with other seeds too goodness knows where they went to I bet I'll find them once I stop looking for them, I'm hoping that there is still time to get some more seeds to sow also I am going to sow my runner beans this week too.

The allotments are coming along really nice now but so are the weeds but I'm keeping on top of them, still some beds to sort out but we will get there of that I'm sure.

Have a nice day guys.Hel.xxx.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    Good morning everyone,

The ground is still very dry here after just a little drizzle yesterday but everything is growing well :gnthb:

Helen, We've got lots of butternut squash seeds if you want some. We've also got some Coquina seeds if you want them.

I spoke to soon about Oscar being good :(. He still doesn't harm the plants in the greenhouse but has started pulling plants out of their pots in the plant sale area :scratch: :mad:. Mrs shiney has had strong words with him. Maybe he is annoyed that his house has been moved out of the propagator and put on the bench alongside.

Have a great day :D

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning kandy, helen, shiney and everyone.
    I just had bother getting on before through internet explorer very slow then it quickened up after a while getting into my server was a nightmare.
    kandy that heron just sat there it didnt seem bothered by everyone walking around mind it was sitting in a place were no one has access near the waterfalls, i had to use my zoom to get them pretty close, will go back down there as i want to see these kingfishers that apparently arrive there.
    weather a bit dull this morning have a great day all

8. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Good morning everyone,

Its been sunny and warmer here the last few days, so i have been working oustside and planting some new perennials, its so nice to be out there!!

9. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Rosa how about spotting either ones of these up at the Marina:D I love Kingfishers they are my favourite bird as blue is my favourite colour,and Colin Firth my favourite actor and Chris Beardshaw my favourite gardener:D:D Hope you manage to see the Kingfishers:thmb:
    Pelican...
    [​IMG]
    Rodney...
    [​IMG]

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kandy fab pics wish they did have them at the marina but wouldnt see them there would have to go to a zoo hehe next time i go im hoping i spot the kingfishers that will be something getting them here up north on our coastline

11. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good morning all my friends hope you are all OK,WOW Kandy I just love Rodney :)I shall be taking my early morning constitutional at about 2 am with my faithful companions of course, won,t need a torch as you know us owls can easily see In the dark:hehe:well everyone have a lovely day and please stay safe:):thumb:

12. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good Morning Woo :lollol::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Sorry about this Its just something I,ve always wanted to do:hehe:

13. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Morning Woo Kandy and everyone,glad you like Rodney Woo,I put up some photos on here last year when we went to Coton Manaor Gardens.Woo I don't think he was happy this time as he kept his head down but that could have been due to windy conditions.:D

We are just getting ready to go off down to Beth Chatto's gardens in Essex for the day as a Birthday treat for Mr Kandy so hopefully will see lots of nice plants if it doesn't rain.Hope to see you all tomorrow.:D

Have a good day everyone in all that you do:)

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Woo, Woo again, Kandy and all.

Darling Woo isn't that the first sign of madness talking to ones self?:hehe:

Kandy I hope you and your beloved have a wonderful day.

Kandy Rodney is really quite something the picture makes him appear as if he's really shy or going to be up to no good!

Shiney if I could be so bold to have a few of your butternut squash seeds that would be brilliant, it's not too late to sow them is it? also what is Coquina? Please PM me with details of how to get the seeds. Thanx sweetie.:thumb:

Rosa I know how you feel about slow connection as we are with AOL which is so very slow but we have been with them for a great many years and unlike some others we have never been kicked off under the fair usage system so it's a case of grinning and baring it.

Getting over run with tomatoes and then I go and forget to sow some bush toms for one of our neighbours so needless to say I had to pop some in along with some pick and come again lettuce which they so like.

One of my neighbours (who calls me Charlie Dimmock) has started to get the gardening bug too she's growing toms etc. inside because the dogs have taken over the garden but she's as excited as a little kid, it sure is nice when you see the pure joy in someone who has found the love of 'growing things'.

Well it's raining here and although not able to do any real work outside there's some potting on to be done of that I'm sure.

Have a nice day guys.Hel.xxx.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning woo, kandy, helen and everyone.
    kandy have a great time in essex wish mr kandy a great birthday.
    helen my server normally is pretty good have a feeling its internet explorer playing up been doing some odd things lately.
    woo hope you enjoyed your lovely walk with your babies big kiss from me xxx
    im dropping rosa off at the parlour at 9 shes having her bath, trim and claws seen to, then im off shopping for a couple of hours and ill pick rosa back up around 12.
    have a great day everyone