Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good Morning Woo and everyone

It is a beautiful day out there today so it looks like at long last it will be a good one:gnthb: I haven't been able to get to the allotment for a few days so hopefully we are going sometime today so I expect there will be plenty to pick.:D

Had a visit from my eldest sister and her hubby yesterday which was nice,and she told me she has just been diagnosed with Diabetes,so that makes two of the family with it and three of us that are borderline ....eeek and the Dr is trying diet first before she goes on to the tablets.It seems to be a disease that is on the increase now.

Anyway,I went down and checked Mabel as soon as I got up and she is still hanging in there so I cut her a big pile of grass and will go down in a while with the fruit and veggies for her to nosh.This is one spoilt Guneia Pig:D

I have just had to put the slide in the capflap because Uggy the cat that has adopted us has just thrown up all over the kitchen floor after eating its breakfast and Willow is trying to come indoors with a dead sparrow in his mouth:(

Hope you all have a great day in all that you do and hope the weather stays fine for everyone:)

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning woo, helen, kandy and everyone.
    its lovely out there this morning just had a coffee on my balcony and was thinking of what i need for my new allotment area, helen some sweet pea seeds would be great thanks ever so much, im you with my address for you.
    kandy enjoy your time picking your veg and fruit just think next year i will be doing the same.
    have a great day all

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,492
    Good morning everyone,

Another bright sunny day :thumb:.

woo, I guess that the screen is now a good place for you to perch on :)

Helen, remember that the squashes will start off a whitish colour with green stripes and as they ripen they will lose the stripes and start to turn an orangey brown colour. once they have started turning you can still leave them on the plant if there is no danger from slugs and other creatures. When you cut them you should try and keep as much of the stalk on as possible - an inch or two if it is that long. Then take them home and put in the sun (or a dry place) - just like onions. This will help them last longer - but I guess you will have eaten them fairly quickly. :)

Kandy, it sounds like 'late onset diabetes' which is usually controlled by dieting.
    It sounds as though the only way you will keep Uggy out is to have a radio controlled flap for Willow.

I'm getting a bit fed up with power cuts. We have had seven in the last three days :mad:.
    The runner beans are now really getting into their stride with Armstrong having caught up to Polestar and Butler with the trial beans (planted last) starting to come along slowly. I'm now picking about 7lb per day :thumb:. Courgettes are having a very good season with between 5 and 10 a day. Both the outside and inside toms are doing brilliantly and we have frozen loads. Chillies are also superb :gnthb:. Peppers are doing OK but the aubergines don't seem to want to know :(

We are eating loads of our golden plums which are absolutely delicious and very sweet. Blackberries are early this year and doing very well and the apples and pears are laden down with fruit (very few pears last year).

Bees, butterflies and hoverflies are everywhere and the birds are singing happily :yho:. Haven't seen our pheasants for about a month :scratch: - which is unusual.

Have a great day :D

4. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hello one and all :luv:

Am dashing out again to my parents as my sister and her family have arrived :D

Hope to get back on this evening if not too tired :snz:

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,673
    Good morning all my friends Its a Sunday In Sunny August I do hope that you are all OK,Its a beautiful morning,It really Is,Warm,dry and very quiet,a stillness almost,just the occasional bark of a Fox and the almost full moon shining down,its moments like this that remain with me forever :)I,ll take Gypsy,Tiny and Penny out about 3.am its a little too early yet :hehe: every single one of you have a super day and please stay safe:)

Its a Special day for Kandy(A Birthday) Have a lovely day:thumb::)

6. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone,

Woo thanks for the lovely sentiment above:) and hope you have a good day to:thumb:

Well I have been up since before five but have been making sure the animals are alright and well fed.Mr Kandy is still fast asleep so had better not make too much noise to wake him up:hehe: I coudn't believe how dark it is this morning and have had to put the light on to see to type this:p

We are going to spend the day on the Seven Valley Railway so at least me feet will have a rest.We were thinking of going up to the Black Country Museum but I don't think our feet would stand walking round the twenty six acres so this seems the better option:D

Yesterday morning we went over to the allotment and while I dug up a lot of the late spuds Mr Kandy used some old pieces of glass and some wood to make a large cold frame type thingy in which to grow some late carrots and to start things off early next year:) Late afternoon we went over to Pitsford Water and cycled the nine miles all the way round.It's the first time I have been out on me bike since we went to the Isle of Wight last year as the weather has been terrible and it has been too windy at times,plus with my gammy hand gripping the handle bars is a bit difficult:D I couldn't take any picckies as all my cards were full and we only did it on the spur of the moment:D

Anyway,I am going to put up a couple of photo's,one of the get well letter my friends daughter did for Mabel,plus a photo of Mabel noshing on some grub:D

Hope you all have a great day and hope you all manage to relax a little.:luv:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,492
    Good morning woo, Kandy and everyone,

Kandy, have a wonderful birthday :yho: :luv: and a great day out.

Woo, I heard a lot of your family round here having a party during the night. It sounded as though there were over a dozen of them. Were they celebrating something special? :)

I had a very big bonfire yesterday evening as everything had been piling up much longer then usual. Could have it sooner because of the crops in the field at the back. The farmer harvested the fiend late afternoon so I lit the fire as he cleared the field near us first. I didn't have to worry about the smoke bothering people as there was already an enormous cloud of dust pouring out of the combine harvester :thumb:

The weather was a lot less humid but very hot and sunny. This morning is overcast but 19C already. There is not a hint of a breeze.

We shall be meeting our friends at the Hatfield House Event today and then they will be coming back to us for dinner this evening.

Have a great Sunday :D

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Woo, Kandy, Shiney and all.

Happy birthday Kandy I'm sure you will have a lovely day with Mr.K.:luv:

Such a very sweet 'get well Mabel' letter don't those little'uns know how to pull on your heart strings? Alicia sounds a darling and Mabel has such a lovely shiney coat bless her I hope she's feeling a little better now.

Shiney duly noted about the squashes and I'm always interested how your veg are doing so please keep me informed. What uses do you have for your frozen toms Shiney and how do you freeze them?:cnfs:

Dan's finally sorted me out a program for veg data and Bob's brought a wireless printer so I can forget about endlessly writing everything down now by pen and paper.:thmb:

Rosa let me know if you would like some veg seeds as well as flowers sweetie and I'll sort some out for you as well.

Another good outdoor day yesterday managed to nearly finish another funky chair, finally got my leeks in (I know very slack) and collected a bungle of veg for my neighbours dinner today generally a good afternoons work.

Weather is great this morning veg already perpared for dinner later on so that's at least one step ahead i have today.

Have a nice day guys and watch out for that sun.Hel.xxx.

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,492
    Good morning Helen,
    I don't do anything special with my veggie and fruit. I only dig in home made compost, never rotate crops (can't be bothered), never keep any notes about them (can't be bothered :hehe:), try to remember from one year to the next how things are going :old: and talk very nicely to all of them :luv:.

The toms are easy. We only freeze Italian plum toms and some of the excess of the larger ones (like Shirley). We don't bother to wash them and just stick them in bags in the freezer. As they are not washed they don't stick together. I use them for cooking and they are much easier to use frozen than fresh.

When I want any I just take them out of the freezer and drop them into a pan of hot water - just hot water from the tap - and let them rest there for a few minutes so that the outside has defrosted but the inside is still partly frozen. Lift them out and, generally, the skins will then just slide off. If any skins are a bit stubborn just nick the skin with a knife and you can then slide it off. With a heavy kitchen knife cut the tom carefully in half (still partially frozen) then you can just lay the flat side down on the chopping board and chop it up. You then don't have the problem of squishy insides trailing loads of tom juice off the chopping board :thmb:.

So, as usual, it is part of me making things as easy as possible for myself :old: :hehe:. No washing needed as the skins will be taken off before they reach the chopping board, saving of excess toms, much easier to skin, much easier to chop and less messy :yho:. Italian plum toms are tastier for cooking and have a lot less seeds - apart from having flat sides that also make it easier to chop :D

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning woo, kandy, helen, shiney, jazmine and everyone else.

kandy my dear friend have a lovely birthday and a great day out love rosa xxxx

its lovely out there this morning looks like we are having great weather, been out yesterday and got some bargains for my allotment got some screening going out today to buy the posts to hold the screening up around my garden area.
    helen answer your im would love any seeds you have thanks ever so much.
    have a great day all

11. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good evening everyone.

We have just got back home from a very enjoyble day out:) We have travelled in a carriage pulled by steam train from Bridgnorth - Kidderminster.Went and had a nice meal before boarding the train to do it all again in reverse:D The only bad part was that the train windows were dirty so it shows up on some of the photos:(

When we got off the train we then drove on to Wenlock Edge and did a nice walk which was Mr Kandy reckons 3 1/2miles so it was a nice leg stretch.The only downside was Mr K put his camera filter in his camera bag but never bothered to zip it up so he has somehow lost the filter between getting off of the train and driving to Wenlock Edge:( We have searched everywhere for it but it seems to have fallen out when the empty bag decide to turn it's self upside down:oops:

Hope everyone has had a good day and I will catch up with you all hopefully tomorrow:ywn::snz:

Take Care and Thank You all for your Birthday wishes:luv:

12. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,673
    Good morning everyone hope you are all OK and feeling good on this beautiful Monday morning,have a lovely day and please stay safe.:)

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    good morning woo, kandy and everyone, up early this morning couldnt sleep, kandy pleased to hear you had a great day out yesterday, shame mr kandy lost his camera filter.
    have a great day

14. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Morning Woo Rosa and everyone

Hope you all have had a good nights sleep.The sun is shining out there this morning and it looks like summer is here again.We missed Country File on the telly last night so we are going to have a surprise as to what will happen this week weatherwise:D

Helen,the shine on Mabels fur isn't that she is in good condition but that the flash went off as I took her photos so it makes the fur shine:D

Shiney the holiday vacation email was good,loved the Japanese Island one was good but didn't like looking at the others because I hate heights and they made me feel quiet ill looking at them:p:D

Have a good day everyone,I have beans to catch up on preparing and a load of ironing so I am going to be a busy bee today:)

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Woo, Rosa, Kandy, and all.

Many thanks for all the info on the toms Shiney lucky me I'm pretty sure I got a packet of plum toms from my seed shopping bonanza so I will give them a go next year and also freeze some as per your advice.:thumb:

Woo did your morning stay nice or did it rain like it has done here?

Rosa I bet your not sleeping too well because you're so excited about your alloment, don't worry sweetie it gets me that way sometimes.:hehe:

Glad you and Mr.K. had a wonderful time sorry about the filter hope it wasn't too expensive. Happy ironing Kandy I have some to do today too could I hire you to come and do mine?:wink:

The rain has put any outside work on hold for now at least, I did manage to do another funky chair yesterday which I'm turning into something fairy-ish. We also popped over to the allotment cut the grass and pulled some crops for our neighbours our carrots are wonderful!

Have a nice day guys.Hel.xxx.