Yawn ... wakey, wakey ...

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Victoria, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks for that advice Shiney.I had already put one of the squash leaves under the first one but looking at the leaf yesterday morning it had started to disintigrate so will have to sort out some wood etc for that one and the others which are still small.I took some photo's yesterday to show you what they are like:thumb:We have also found two squash plants in the raspberries we moved last year so we think they must be self sown from the compost bin,when I threw away the rotten ones.Pity we never saw them earlier we needn't have bought those plants from Beth Chatto:D Also some of the older leaves have got mildew on them from the rain we have been getting so am not sure whether they have to be taken off:scratch:

We think like you that we have a Marrow rather than a courgette over on the other plot so are picking them when they are quiet small:D

Our plums are coming along nicely,although we are going to lose the best largest branch that has snapped under the weight of the fruit and is only hanging on by a thread.Mr Kandy has shored it up until the crop is finished and then he will have to remove that large branch,but it will mean we won't get a crop for a few years now:)

Anyway,thanks again for your advice and hope that your back and legs are feeling a lot better now:luv::gnthb:

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Good morning everyone,

Its another hot one here today, they just said 97 degrees with the humidity!!

It also looks like its going to rain, so i'll hold off on watering and see if it does.

Not much planned today, other then LOTS of laundry, my youngest came back from a weekend of camping and of course everything needs it, and what isnt dirty, smells like campfire smoke.

So have a great day everyone

3. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Peri,Nice to see you back on here:thumb:

It must be a right pain having to keep going along to the library to get connected especially after just getting over your ankle break:p I knew how difficult it was for me getting out and about and back to work and in those days I drove a small 50cc scooter so it was a bit painful having to keep putting my foot on the ground to take the weight of the bike whenever I stopped ta traffic lights etc.Hope you soon get your PC up and running:gnthb:

we still have boxes up the loft which we haven't unpacked yet and we have been here eight years.My theory is that if we move again to downsize,it will be less stuff to repack,well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it:D

sounds like you have some good trees in your garden Peri.Our Victoria plums are just ripining{sp} and yesterday Mr Kandy picked nearly tow carrier bags full.We are eating a lot of them but I have to be careful because if I have too many they give me griping tummy pains,and they tend to have a laxative effect,not that I have that problem...Yet:old::D The rest of them will get destoned and then they will either be frozen as they are or stewed and then frozen for eating later when English plums are no longer in the shops:)

Anyway,I am busy ironing at the moment and have left the iron on, oh and by the way Mabel is starting to get better,just in case you thought she had popped her paws if you get round to reading any back posts.

Enjoy the rest of your day:)

:oops: Just noticed we are on page 666 on here:euw::usr::D

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,494
    Welcome back, Peri :thumb:. I hope you have settled in OK. :)

Kandy, plum trees tend to prune (he he) themselves in that way. Particularly Victorias. Our golden plums have finished now and our black ones don't usually come until the middle of Sept. We have no Victorias now as they got silver leaf :(.

I didn't get around to picking any pears, apples, rhubarb or blackberries today as it took me too long to pick the beans and package them. Today's crop of beans is 22lb. Mrs shiney is taken 10 packs to yoga tonight to see how many people want them. Any that are not sold I can sell tomorrow with the rest of them. :thmb:

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,675
    Good morning Kandy,Helen,Rosa,Peri,Penny and Shiney and all my other friends,hope you are all well and OK,Its another lovely August at 2am in the morning, still very warm and very Quiet,everyone have a lovely day and please stay safe.:)

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

6. Penny in Ontario

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    I am just popping in, its 9:10pm here and what a great picture WOO!!!
    Thats so neat!

Hiya Peri, great to see you Hun.

I'm off, have some laundry to throw in, and i have had a few drinks, had some friends drop by for some birthday drinks, so i had better go, see ya's tomorrow.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    good morning, woo, kandy, peri, penny, helen, shiney and everyone else.
    had a bad night sleep up and down all night must of been in my mind i had to be up at 7 as im going to my friends they are taken there van to be mot so im going down with them and bringing him back home, they done it for us a few times to have to return the favour, asking garage about new car as the ABS light goes on and off im sure its not anything to worry about just the brakes unlike the problems i had with the megane, so just asking garage to have a quick look at it, apart from that minor thing the new car is fantastic lovely to drive very happy with it.
    have a great day all

[​IMG]

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone,

Well I had a better nights sleep last night and yet still feel tired.It must either be the weather or my age:scratch::D The sun is just peeping through the clouds so I think it will be another warm day or should that be hot:D

Woo lovely photo of the moon and Jupiter.I was in the land of nod so missed it so will share yours instead if I may:gnthb:

Rosa,your car looks familiar,is it like the one you have put up in your thread on new car?:hehe: Good Luck with getting the ABS sorting and lets hope it is nothing major and go easy with the breaking until it is checked out:thumb:

I am afraid I have no decent photo's to put up on here,only fruit and veggies and I am sure you don't want me to bore you with photo's of me Squashes and me Plums:D

Penny hope you enjoyed your pre Birthday drinkies yesterday and hope you have a great day today:gnthb:

Shiney,once Mr Kandy removes this large branch on our Victoria we probably won't get a decent crop again as it was the largest and the main fruit bearing one so won't get much off of the smaller ones,but we shall see.The Marjory's seedling is still going and the fruit will be ready soon:) we have just started picking our Autumn fruiting raspberries so we are pleased with them.Hope Mrs Shiney sold you plenty of beans last night:thmb:

Well I hope you all have a good day today.I have a few jobs to do round the house then I am heading back over to the allotment to pick some moer stuff and to water everyhting now we have another heat wave coming:D

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,494
    Good morning everyone,

Busy, busy, busy :D

Have a great day :D

10. Penny in Ontario

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Good morning everyone,:)

Its a little cooler here today, only supposed to be 90.:hehe:

ROSA....my daughters would love that car, shame they dont sell them over here!!:gnthb::gnthb:
    But then again, maybe thats a good thing they dont sell them here:dh::hehe::thumb:

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi all, kandy its the same pic hehe, the car is fine its a normal thing, going to leave it a few weeks and the garage going to pop it on his machine hes told me not to worry about it he knows about these 307s so thats good wooooo hooooooo got a fantastic car runs like a dream much better than the megane more room in it.
    penny hope your enjoying your birthday and hope you got some nice pressies

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi peri, pleased to hear the move went well, and i can well imajine the things we collect, pleased to hear you will be off to spain next year, we were going in september but with these bombings im a bit concerned about going.
    its nice in aberdeen, my friends used to live there and i used to go for weekends many years ago of course.
    my new car is great im well pleased with it, couple of minor daft things like i bought a new windscreen wiper yesaterday so it running lovely much faster and more comfortable than the megane

13. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone,

I am afraid that I am going to bore you all now with a couple of piccy's of some of my fruit and veg:D

Dear Shiney this is the biggest of the Butternut Squashes,do you think it needs a bit longer to ripen or do you just guess when to take them off of the plant?I had already put one leaf under it and yesterday put another one under it but might change it to wood or perhaps straw when I go over today:) Hope your busyness subsides soon:D
    [​IMG]
    Here is the final Elephant Garlic now they have dried.If Mr K likes them he will use one of the bulbs as stock for this years planting.We are pleased as this is the first time of growing them:)
    [​IMG]
    Peri,these are some of our Victoria plums.We are having the first good crop in several years as the tree decided to have a rest after a good crop three years ago,but the problem is the main branch has snpped under the weight so we won't have a good crop now after this year.:( Glad to hear about your OH's new job.Is it in the same line of work?My Sister in Law and Brother in Law used to do a lot for the RSPB and always did the Rutland Fair but soom new people joined the group which they didn't like because the new group started to take over so they gave up with it all.....
    [​IMG]

Rosa,this is a taster of the sort of things you will be able to grow when you get your new lottie:D

Well it looks like we are going to get the heat wave today so will have to get a move on soon before it gets too hot.Have a good day everyone:luv:

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning kandy and everyone.
    wow they are great kandy, you have done extremely well when i get my lottie im sure you will give me tips on growing such wonderful fruit and veg.
    have a great day all

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,494
    Good morning everyone,

It is another warm sunny day and our garden is in drought conditions :(. The ground is cracking up and some of our plants are looking a little sad.

Kandy, that squash looks good :thumb:. Although it is not completely ripe you can pick now without any problem. Use your secateurs to cut it off from where the stalk meets the runner - looks to be about two inches. Then let it dry the same way as you would with onions. Probably best to take it home and put it in the sun in the garden (greenhouse or indoors if it is raining) until the skin looks the colour it does in the shops. Although you could eat it now it will get sweeter if you let it mature. If you let it mature it will then keep for months. We just keep ours on the kitchen worktop.

That garlic looks great :gnthb:

Have a great day :gnthb: