Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,931
    @PatE, hope you are not too chilly today.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,480
      Morning all,

After a hot (22C) yesterday it is a little chilly, in comparison, today but the sun is coming out.

We have students coming today so I hope it warms up enough for us to have lunch outdoors. Prepping the food and cooking it to get it on the table at 12.30 is always a bit of pressure but I usually get it done on time :phew:

• Like Like x 5
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
        Ratings:
        +5,931
        Morning @shiney. Can I be very nosey and ask what students you have arriving and how many?
        p.s. I won't sulk if you don't wish to tell me :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,583
          Good morning all :coffee1:
          Hope everyone’s had a restful night. Have you got the fire lit @PatE ?

We have another fine dry morning here in Norfolk … a little cooler at 8C but dry and bright.

Well I didn’t get everything done in the garden yesterday … I’d forgotten to build the Grand National into my plans .., and having had steeplechasers in the family I’ve never missed watching it … and then, just as “I am Maximus” crossed the line there was a long loud blast on a car horn and a screech of brakes and I looked up and saw a red car belonging to a family member of the house opposite (who had been clearing the house as the parent has gone into a care home) reversing off the driveway into the path of a silver car coming down the rise … and there was a crash! I went out and checked that everyone was ok … thankfully no one was hurt … just a bit shaken up … the AA was called to help with the silver car as the bumper had pierced a tyre … I came indoors and let them get on with it.

The driver of the silver car came around in the evening to ask what I’d seen and would I be prepared to act as witness if needed, as the other driver was saying it was 50/50 responsibility and that she’d not sounded her horn … which of course she had as it was what made me look up from the race.

Then I had a message from our NDNs who have a little 2 berth sailing boat … they were moored near Carleton Marsh watching the sun go down and listening to a bittern booming. Deep envy.

OH says he should have some time to help me with the garden tasks over the next week

Have a lovely Sunday everyone :)

• Friendly Friendly x 5
          • Informative Informative x 2
            Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +122,480
            @Ladybird4 It's my wife who has the students. She is/was (officially retired for some years) a multi-therapist but today she is teaching Reiki to eight advanced students. Amongst all her other qualifications she is a Reiki Master and is still prevailed upon (she actually loves to teach :)) by the national body to do some teaching. She teaches all levels up to and including teaching people to be Masters.

As it's a full day course we always provide a cooked lunch. I'm not sure there are any other teachers that provide food and, I understand, most places tell them to bring their own snack. We were both brought up to not let anybody leave our hospitality feeling hungry :heehee: so I always cook a hot meal. As cooking is a hobby of mine I enjoy it and it much easier to cook for a lot of people than to do cold food.

As three of the eight are veggies I shall be doing a veggie stir fry (I think I have at least ten vegetables to prep) and shall do saffron rice with it. Dessert is fresh fruit salad (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, melon and mango) and homemade gluten, sugar and dairy free apple crumble. We still have a freezer full of our own, cooked down, apples. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 9
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +3,128
              Good morning all.

Sunny outside. 26C forecast, yesterday it was 27C. I got very hot preparing the potato patch and planting potatoes. Today I'll plant some flowers.

We had dinner on the patio last night as it was a warm evening.

• Like Like x 4
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
                Ratings:
                +1,035
                Good morning all you lovely early birds, this is a lovely pleasant way to start the day.
                The sun is shining which is so welcome. Pleased no one was hurt in the crash @Dovefromabove.

Got my scruffies on this morning as soon as it's a decent time (my next door neighbour was mowing her lawn at 7:10am last Sunday :nonofinger:) my plan for the morning is to tidy behind the back of the shed where the bins, 'composty' bags, the wormery, and 'things' live. It needs to be rearranged, also inspection is needed seeing I found a dead mouse in that area last week.

While having a lovely half hour sitting in the garden yesterday our Rusty leapt into the air in full defence mode, scattering potted plants, watering cans, etc up in the air. Someone's much loved cat had decided to jump our gate to use our garden as a quick way home. Poor cat literally did a pirouette on top of the gate and then took off from where she came. Our 11y GSD has had a lifelong zero tolerance of cats I'm afraid. I'll be moving the bins away from the fence to make the cat's shortcut home less easy her. Plus it's time the wormery had a spring clean. Trays of worm castings are tipped into the barrow, with sun shining down the worms go down into the castings, while I scoop the castings off the top. Eventually I stop 'tormenting' the worms and put them back in their now tidy bedding. I don't normally mind getting my hands dirty in the garden, but I do draw a line where worms are concerned so I don surgical gloves. A nice soak in the bath is on the cards for afterwards, then a leisurely G&T while I congratulate myself on a job well done and contemplate what needs to be done in the garden next week.

Have a lovely day everyone, remember "Today is the oldest you have ever been, and the youngest you will ever be again." Eleanor Roosevelt.

• Like Like x 8
                • Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Brenda

Brenda Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +731
                  Good morning all.
                  Back home after a couple of days at son’s house in the north east.
                  Very thick cloud up there and not the promised sunny weekend that had been forecast.
                  I must spend today weeding the back garden as I think this is the last dry day for a while.
                  Enjoy your day :smile:

• Like Like x 5
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                    Ratings:
                    +5,931
                    @shiney, thank you so much for all that information and well done to both you and your wife for providing the course and feeding the 8 students. You are going to be busy bees today. I love cooking for lots of people and before my great nieces and nephews started at secondary schools with differing February half terms, the whole gang of us including a couple of friends (between 28 and 30 in total) used to hire a huge property - often in the Lake District - near Tebay and go there for the whole week. I really enjoyed the catering as well as all the family fun and all the wonderful walks. It became more and more difficult to find places big enough to take us all but for 15 years or so we had these family holidays in February. Some of my favourite holidays were on Bute in a Landmark Trust property but this is when we were only dealing with about 19 people. We assumed - incorrectly - that the youngsters wouldn't want to go with us on these holidays but they let us know, in no uncertain terms, that they would be coming too. I reckon they didn't trust us on our own! :loll:

• Like Like x 9
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +122,480
                      Some friends of ours used to rent Ormathwaite Hall (just outside Keswick on the way up to Skiddaw) in a beautiful setting but it has now been sold. :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Badly_Maintained

Badly_Maintained Inept know-nothing gardener

Early retiree & (unofficial) carer for my Parents.
                        Ratings:
                        +430
                        Morning all.
                        @Blue arbour Congratulations :congrats:to you and your Niece on the birth of her new Daughter!
                        @AuntyRach your food sounds delicious.
                        Glad there seem to have been no injuries as a result of the car crash @Dovefromabove . I hope everything can be sorted out amicably as possible.

Hung the washing out at 7am. It was sunny with a fair breeze blowing. It has recently clouded over, and the forecast is for rain. I'm leaving the clothes out as long as possible, so it will be the traditional mad dash outside when the first raindrops appear :)

Time for some vacuuming I think. Have a wonderful day folks, best wishes to all.

• Like Like x 4
                        • Friendly Friendly x 3
                        • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
                          Ratings:
                          +975
                          Good morning all,
                          Thank you @Anna42. They are doing well I’m told. I hope that your G/daughter will be alright, too. As you say, she has a good team around her, but you’ll still worry, I’m sure (but try not to).

The birthday party was lovely yesterday. We “oldies” (young at heart:)), left the younger ones to it about 7.30. It was livening up as more friends began to arrive, so I’m sure a good time has been had by all. Hope there aren’t too many sore heads this morning.

It’s drier this morning (not as warm, though), so OH should be able to tackle the grass if he feels like it as he had a poor night with a bit of stomach ache.

Thank you to you, too, @Badly_Maintained.

@PatE I hope you are keeping nice and warm now your autumn has well and truly kicked in.

Well, I’d better get on. Hope you all have a good day.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,994
                            Hi all

Sunny, but much colder today.
                            Moira has gone foraging with some friends, so I have been weeding the difficult places, which she tells me not to do, if she is not around, in case I get stuck. She will never know, unless I get stuck, in which case she will find me tonight.
                            I have hung some blocks of carbolic soap around our boundaries, on @shiney advice.

• Like Like x 5
                            • Funny Funny x 2
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • shiney

Ratings:
                              +122,480
                              @Punkdoc I hope it works. The soap is (or, maybe was) cheap enough to be worth a try. It worked for us and worked at Bressingham Gardens where they actually hung the soap on sticks alongside vulnerable plants.

We used another smelly repellent to keep the badgers out. Jeyes Fluid worked well (advised to us by someone from a badger society) but needed spraying around the boundary a few times, as rain eventually washed it away, and I think it put them off from carrying on trying.

The garden smelled very clean :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 5
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                                +3,157
                                Just in time to say Good Morning all.

I’m doing a few garden bits whilst it’s dry. I’ve just pulled some grass up from the base of my old apple tree stump, which is now a climbing Hydrangea support, so sitting back awaiting Mr and Mrs Robin to discover all the worms…

Have a lovely day everyone.

• Like Like x 5
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1