Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. steephill

steephill Gardener

Ratings:
    +249
    Had a cunning plan to sort out holiday watering in the greenhouse. Failed just like any of Baldrick's best ideas. I usually use mains water through a timer but I don't want to leave the house water supply on for our next holiday. I was going to put one of my water butts inside the greenhouse, fill it up and set up a battery powered timer to organise watering. Except it is too wide to go through the door :scratch:. Next step will be getting a couple of smaller slimline butts which will fit. I am telling myself that you can never have too many water butts.

Planted out some peas which had germinated nicely and have a second batch coming on well. Pea netting installed to give them something to hold on to. Started potting up some bought veg plugs until I discovered that ants were squatting in the opened compost bag :gaah: so I need to get some fresh bags tomorrow. Life got in the way of sowing seed earlier so I am trying some grafted plants for the first time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Topbird

Topbird Gardener

Ratings:
      +469
      @redstar - that was nice of you to do a bit of advertising for the bakery. Even nicer for the bakery to give you some free treats. I sometimes think the waistbands on my trousers shrink if I so much as look in a baker's window.

Glad you've been to the UK. I've been to Scotland many times but only once to Orkney. Absolutely loved it - fabulous archaeological sites.

We've been to different parts of the States several times although nearly all on the coast. Particularly enjoyed California and New England. We've also enjoyed a few trips to Canada but always flying in to Vancouver - must go to Toronto! Our last trip was in 2022 to join a cruise to Alaska. If it wasn't for the hideous queues for foreigners at immigration following 9/11 we'd come over more often. We queued for over 2hrs at San Fran in 2003 and it was just the final straw after a 10hr flight!

If you ever want to do a European Christmas Market then the one in Cologne Germany is one of the biggest. Actually about 6 or 8 large markets spread all over the city, each with a slightly different theme. Not really my cup of tea but the Germans do Christmas very well and the Gluhwein is excellent!

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
        Ratings:
        +5,894
        upload_2024-4-28_6-11-26.jpeg
        A very good morning everyone. @redstar, what a champion you are! Its nice that your kindness was appreciated too. I hope you get permanent discount on the goodies when you go in to shop.
        @Topbird, I have never yet been 'across the pond' but I do have numerous cousins who live in Canada - Cobourg and Toronto. In fact one of my rellies is coming over in June for a visit so we will have a catch up - for the first time in our lives! Should be fascinating.
        @steephill, a lot of 'figuring out' there. Fingers crossed you finally sort out a system to keep your treasures irrigated.

• Like Like x 5
        • Ante1

Ante1 Gardener

Ratings:
          +574
          Good morning all. Sunny and warm morning here. I was whole day at cottage, and today will just rest. I'm quite satisfied because all major jobs are done, and it is much earlier than last few years. Wish you all a lovely Sunday.

• Like Like x 4
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +795
            Good morning all!

"Old mouse-grey" skies this morning and rain promised today. Inside games!!

That was nice of you @redstar to promote the new bakery. Everyone needs a helping hand especially those who wish to work.

@RowlandsCastle We have those community leisure time fairs in September here when the schools go back and autumn is on its way. I'm sure belly dancing would get all those joints oiled and in good nick. Yes @Ladybird4 shame we can't just put on some WD40 from time to time. Adding that on days like today when it's wet and humid, I can feel every joint!!

What are you reading at the moment @Dovefromabove I haven't found a book to "not put down" for a while. Need some suggestions, please.

A good friend arrives from New York tomorrow to spend a week here. Although we are in touch on What's App, there's still plenty to catch up on!! Shame the weather is so forlorn for her.

Yes, we haven't seen @Chicky around for a bit, I hope she's just busy Same with @Nanny Beach - or maybe she hasn't signed up. I thought she had somehow.

May you all have a pleasant Sunday folks.

• Like Like x 4
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +3,097
              Good morning all.

We had a huge thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, with power cuts. Forecast today is for sunshine. At least the garden has been well watered before we go to the Norfolk on Tuesday..

I defrosted the utility room fridge freezer, painted the inside of another kitchen cupboard and did the ironing yesterday.

Church this morning followed by a bring and share lunch. I'm bringing chicken salad as there is always a lot of pastry.

• Like Like x 3
              • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                Ratings:
                +5,894
                @Ante1 it must be a big relief when you get all the big jobs - planting etc. - done for the season. Now, like all gardeners, you will be at the mercy of the weather. Fingers crossed for a good harvest later on. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                  Ratings:
                  +5,894
                  @Busy-Lizzie, I think they should name the Duracell bunny after you. Is your back holding up with all this activity?

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,583
                    Good morning all :coffee1:
                    It’s a much milder 11C here in Norfolk… first time in double figures for an age … and there was a patch of blue sky spreading from the south … but it’s disappearing now and looks as if dampness is on the way.
                    I’ve been having a think … we will be away from home for a week in a couple of weeks’ time when we go to be with MIL while she recovers from an op. What about my tender plants? They won’t be ready to go outside and DS may not be here much … and neighbours may well be away on their boat … I may have to reduce their number to a minimum and take them with us … the alternative will be putting them on damp gravel trays in the studio and crossing my fingers …

• Like Like x 5
                    • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +1,455
                      • Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Brenda

Brenda Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +731
                        Good morning all.
                        Won’t mention the miserable weather!! Oops! I did!!
                        Nothing planned for today except to cover up my grey roots, that’s hair not plants!
                        Enjoy your day :smile:

• Funny Funny x 4
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                          +3,150
                          :coffee: Good Morning all :SUNsmile:

An unexpected dry morning here so a wash is on and I’m planning to go to a local plant fair.
                          My apple blossom (old cooking apple tree) is fantastic this year and it seems to have held on in the rain so maybe it will be a bumper crop this year (it’s often every other year).

Have a smashing Sunday folks. “SYL” as the yoof say.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Topbird

Topbird Gardener

Ratings:
                            +469
                            Morning all. Heavy rain last night so all the planting done yesterday should be watered in. Light rain at the moment so I don't think I'll be cutting the grass as planned. Never mind - it's been so cold it's not grown much in the 8 days since its last trim. Might do some Latin instead.

@steephill - That sounds like one of my cunning plans! I successfuly used capillary matting with one end dunked in a large reservoir of water back in the day when I had a greenhouse. However, it was only one 3m bench - might not be suitable if you have several benches or you're away for a long time.

• Like Like x 3
                            • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
                              +2,583
                              @Tui34 I’m currently reading Val McDermid’s ‘Past Lying’ … one of her Karen Pirie series set during lockdown. I’m I’m not really into crime novels per se, but I’m rarely disappointed by Ms McDermid :)

• Informative Informative x 3
                              • Like Like x 1
                                Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
                              • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
                                Ratings:
                                +973
                                Good morning all,

It’s a very wet morning today, which was forecast, but they needn’t have been right. I’m sure a rowing boat will be necessary soon at this rate. No chance of any gardening today.

The blossom on my two apple trees is plentiful this year too, @AuntyRach so I’m crossing my fingers that the fruit harvest will be good. They are dwarf plants in large pots as the garden isn’t big enough for them to go in the ground. Last season, the crop wasn’t very good, but the year before was.

I enjoy Val McDermid’s books too, @Dovefromabove. She usually writes a very good story.
                                I’m reading a Jodi Picoult book at the moment called Leaving Time, which I’m enjoying. It took a little while to get going with but I’m glad I’ve persevered. It was a bargain at 50p at our last church fayre.

• Like Like x 4
                                • Informative Informative x 1