Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    We must have been posting at the same time @Penny_Forthem. it's very humid here as well. Hope you enjoyed your mini-break in your van and that your veg will be ready when you get home.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,385
      My physio has people doing back exercises by lying on the floor on a yoga mat and then drawing left knee up to right shoulder, holding it then releasing and doing right knee to left shoulder. 3 x 30 repeats each side. It stretches the back apparently so things can relax back as they should. The other one he does is have them on all fours then do a "superman" pose stretching the left arm out in front and the right leg behind then repeat as above.

The back and ball against the wall exercise is done with anything from one about 20cms diametre to 45 depending on which bit of the back is a problem.

Shopping all done this am. Chappy has been and diagnosed a leaky outlet pipe. Apparently, the professional fitter who installed our kitchen, oven and dishwasher did it with an "illegal" extension to get water to the under-sink drainage. It seems manufacturers don't support them and he's not suposed to fix them but he has. The dishwasher is where it was in the old kitchen so I don't see the problem and nobody has mentioned it before. No way to change it without digging up kitchen floor, house wall and terrace and we're not going there!

Bright and sunny now but I shall crack on with my painting.

@Busy-Lizzie I wore mine under trousers and dresses. Had to give jeans a miss for a while. No hardship.

Pleased that your hip and eye are fine @floralies. The patchwork/needlework club is becoming a spareparts club with all the new knees and eyes going on and all good so far.

@Tui34 JR's can be a nightmare of aggression but not always. I've met some soppy ones too but they all like to express their opinions.

• Like Like x 4
      • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,120
        Thank you everyone for your kindness about my knee. @Obelix-Vendée it would be a hardship not to wear jeans. I don't have trousers and it has to be over 23C to wear a summer dress, don't have winter dresses. I live in jeans. 18C, according to my laptop here in Norfolk, I think it feels colder.

I bought some parsley in the SM that I want to split up and put outside in a pot but I used the last of the compost for planting my new alstroemeria. We'll go to a GC when the painter has gone, or tomorrow. OH said I could stay here while he went to buy compost. What a daft suggestion!

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Obelix-Vendée

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,385
          @Busy-Lizzie any jeans I buy have to be modified as my waist is small for my hip size so I'll wear them for messing about but not out. I can and do make trousers that fit better, suit my shape and are not skinny legged. I like cotton frocks in summer for comfort and only have one winter frock.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,192
            Not long back from a walk with son’s dog, plus a raid on the supermarket for the weekend.
            We take the dog to the Donkey Sanctuary as it is a dogs on leads area, with miles of walks. She is a Border terrier, a lovely dog with people and children, but hates being approached by other dogs off their leads. She has been attacked several times by out of control dogs, usually Jack Russells, so tends to get very anxious and defensive if approached. There are always people who think the rule doesn’t apply to them, and she was with us there when a JR went for her. Luckily the owner, who was jogging along, rugby tackled his own dog and took it away. There was definitely blood shed, but after carefully examining our dog, none of it was hers, so maybe the JR ( and it’s owner) might have learnt a lesson.
            No gardening today, as it is now raining, OH has Formula 1 to keep an eye on, so I suppose I’d better give the bathroom a clean, well overdue.

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Ante1

Ante1 Gardener

Ratings:
              +574
              Good day all. I'm finally get some time and say Hello to my friends. I had a lot to do last few weeks, and thanks to my stubbornness I was ill after working whole day on blazing sun. I'm now a bit wiser. I also heard from some my friends that you have a lot of rain in UK. We had a storm last Monday, but otherwise it's hot. Hope you are all well, and I'm going to read all missed posts.

• Like Like x 6
              • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
                Ratings:
                +975
                What a rude man you encountered @Tui34, wagging his finger in your face and going on for 5 minutes. I’d like to bet he wouldn’t have behaved like that towards a man. Shame on him. I think I’d have walked away/ridden away from him midwag, after telling him to keep his finger to himself. (Calmly, of course). You’re right, there’s so much unnecessary aggressiveness these days.

Nice to see you back @Ante1 .

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +796
                  Hey @Ante1 Nice to see you back - hope you are feeling better. It's hot here too! Phew!!

My rheumatologist gave me those knee stretches to do first thing in the morning @Obelix-Vendée still lying in bed. 10 x each side; Just to get the back warmed/stretched. And gently slowly she cried!!
                  The other exercise is a Pilates one and all Pilates is good for core strength. We do that one on the Swiss Ball too. 'cept I have been sitting down this afternoon and now my back is "too long sitting" sore. Better walk around a bit.

And yes. Not all JRs are aggressive - I think this wee chappie is scared. Shame the owners are so weird It takes all sorts, doesn't it? You just have to go with the flow.

Think I'll debone the mackerel I have poached and try to keep them intact amap.

PS Bought first real tomatoes from the markets this morning 4€50p/kg - local grower. Boy! What a difference to the pétanque balls from Lidl!!

• Like Like x 4
                  • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +796
                    He barred my way @Ergates Got me on a slight rise so that I had to get off my bike to get going again. Impossible to get past with a heavy bike. I let him vent his anger - he must have issues.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
                      Ratings:
                      +5,904
                      Good evening all. I had a super meal out with my friends today. Lots of lovely catch ups and I had been brought some basil plants from one friend and a tall campanula from my Bestie - I had forgotten it yesterday. I had been expecting my grow tables from DPD today - whilst I was out and I got a message to say that they had been delivered a 13:09 to my 'safe place'. Well there was no sign of them so I chatted to both neighbours who were at home and neither had seen anything. When I went through the kitchen I spotted this huge cardboard box which had been deposited over my back gate. I had heard of this sort of 'delivery' but never experienced it until today. Luckily there was no damage to the tables and as the box was light enough for me to pick up I was able to lift it out of the way into the garage. My job tomorrow will be to plant these up - weather permitting.

• Like Like x 5
                      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                        Ratings:
                        +5,904
                        @Tui34, what a very disagreeable person that man was. Totally no need to be so rude and aggressive. I hope that the pain you have suffered is easing now and I have to say that your meal sounds absolutely delicious. Have a wonderful evening with your friend.
                        @Penny_Forthem enjoy checking over you veg plot. My tomatoes are struggling this year. They only have three trusses of fruits and last year this time they had five. Mind you it was in July last year that we had a decent spell of hot weather - not just the odd day here and there.
                        @AuntyRach it seems that rain stopped play a bit this afternoon at Wimbledon but I saw the tail end of Alcaraz's game and now Emma's match.
                        Hello @Ante1, good to see you. I know you have been busy and am sorry to read that you were ill. Remember to keep hydrated and slap on the sunscreen too. I do keep sending rain your way! :)
                        @Obelix-Vendée and @Tui34, my initial problem would be getting down onto the floor before even thinking about the exercises. I'm beginning to think that like you @Tui34 I'm crumbling too. :roflol:

• Like Like x 2
                        • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +809
                          @Ladybird4 so disappointing. Last year in June we were harvesting cucumbers, toms, courgettes etc. Nothing so far.
                          My neighbour picked roses (at my suggestion) while we were away.
                          Hi @Ante1 how's that plot of yours doing?
                          I could possibly get down to do the exercises but getting back up? Ha!

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                            Ratings:
                            +5,904
                            :):):) @Penny_Forthem, you've got it in a nutshell. Me returning from horizontal to vertical - not a pretty sight!

• Funny Funny x 1
                            • Obelix-Vendée

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +2,385
                              @Ladybird4 Try them on your bed before getting up? I can't get down very easily these days unless I have a cushion for my knees. If I then roll over and sit - to do skirting board masking tape for example - getting up again can be a performance.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                                Ratings:
                                +5,904
                                Thank you for your excellent suggestion @Obelix-Vendée. I do have a garden kneeler which is strictly for use in the house - one of the kind that can be flipped over to make a little stool - and I can use the side pieces to assist in rising when I need to get up from the floor.

• Like Like x 1