Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ante1

Ante1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +574
    Good morning all.
    Lovely photos @Penny_Forthem. I would love to visit Wales.
    Very windy morning. At least the air is mixed a bit. Yesterday afternoon we had a small fire nearby town. Luckily planes extinguished it quickly. I'm going to make cherry strudel before it get hot outside, and later afternoon I'll go to cottage. Tea first.

2. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    Good morning @Ante1 and all joining in soon. I'll join you in a cup of tea - cheers! Looks like a nice day is going to happen at last and I'm off to Bestie's for this week's episode of 'Who did what to/with whom - both locally and globally -and what items in the SM have reach astronomical prices'. Lots of cups of tea and maybe a nice sit down in her garden.
    Thursday.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,120
      Good morning all.

Thank you for the photos @Penny_Forthem. I haven't been to Wales for years.

Son and family came back from London last night in time for supper. Today we are going to visit a stately home with a walled garden.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +796
        388623F4-05FF-42E3-9100-2F2B1C3CDAA4.jpeg

Good morning all!!

Breakfasted and been out with Fizz in the cool of the morning. Did a bit of weeding but it is heating up nicely now so the house will be closed up shortly to keep the freshness of the morning in. Coffee with a young friend from S. Africa who has 2 little girls, 2 and 4. I have found some "Where is Wally" books for the 4 year old. I have given the first "blue" book away which is - not the easiest - but probably with less people in it. So I have the yellow one and the Hollywood one which is really a "busy" book. I hope it doesn't put her off.

We're in for a real summer now - the days are going to be roasting. @Ante1 is getting much of this heat - it is hotter there than it is here (SW coastal France). My niece in Madrid says it is oppressive. They arrive back here tomorrow for a pit stop before continuing their journey home to Cortina in Italy.

I hope you are all well and these d***n aches and pains are manageable. I was listening to a Michael Mosley podcast about managing pain. Very interesting. I have started doing some - some!! (not much) - Tai Chi with You Tube - I must be more motivated!!

• Like Like x 2
        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,904
          @Tui34, you brought back a memory mentioning 'Where's Wally'. When we used to have our family and friends half term holidays in the Lake District we always had a big jigsaw to do during our week. We had several Where's Wally ones. My sister does Pilates to help her with her aches and pains.

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,692
          Another Sewing Bee follower here. Love it. Amazing that the girl in pink had never sewn a hook and eye on before! And buttonholes! When I think of the hours of hand stitching I used to do making button holes.
          The rest of my books were delivered so I am set up for a week or two blitz of reading.

I took the dog for his walk then went shopping, didn't do anything else. I have been struggling with the side effects of a statin the Drs. have been hell bent on getting me to take. Have finally stopped taking it after 3 weeks of steadily increasingly feeling unwell and eventually nauseous, with the beginnings of stomach pains. Over the years I have tried taking several different brands of stains and each has given me side effects which have made life thoroughly miserable. Eventually I made the decision not to take any more.

• Like Like x 2
          • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +3,120
            I think statins are over prescribed @Goldenlily26. Lots of people have side effects and research has shown than some people have naturally high levels of cholesterol. My daughter had raised levels when she was very slender and hardly ate any fat. The doc said it was just normal for her. I think if you have bad side effects your body is trying to tell you something.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Ante1

Ante1 Gardener

Ratings:
              +574
              I'm back. Strudel is baked, and I can have rest till 4pm.
              @Tui34, high temperatures are not strange to us, but this heat wave is today in his 15th day, and it will last till Sunday. Nights are especially hard to bare.

• Like Like x 3
              • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
                Ratings:
                +1,456
                Have you tried Plant Sterols @Goldenlily26 . They can be as effective as statins:fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
                • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +1,692
                  No Bluejay, I haven't, I will look into them. I did ask one Dr. about familial high cholesterol levels and he said no one had really looked into it. A consultant told me side effects from statins was a fact of life and I would just have to get used to living with them! My sister has the same problem with side effects and when my mother had knee surgery I discovered her level was 12. I know a lot of people can take them and have no problems and that surgeries are paid per patient taking them. I assume my surgery are being paid to run the clinical trial using the two new ones I was offered, I didn't fancy the 6 monthly injection.

• Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +1,456
                  • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +1,397
                    Afternoon everybody,

Beautiful photos @Penny_Forthem , Such a shame about the cloud at the top of Snowdon. I agree with you that seats on those old steam trains are jolly hard. We enjoy the steam train trips if we can fit one in wherever we visit.

Good for you @Goldenlily26. I had my Annual Health Review this morning and was asked again if I'd like to take statins so I said very firmly no, I had no intention of doing so. My GP told me last year that my risk of dying within the next 10 years purely on age grounds was around 20%. If I took statins, that risk dropped to 19%. No contest. I've been told for years that I had asthma which I was very dubious about but dutifully took various inhalers. Did a special test this morning which apparently proved I didn't! The downside is that it is more likely that the breathlessness is due to a heart condition.

Enjoy your stately home trip with family @Busy-Lizzie, hope the weather's good for it. it's very warm and was sunny earlier, now cloudy.

OH has had his pre-op assessment and all is well, pending the blood test results. Bedding and towels are in the wash as instructed.

Keep in the cool @Tui34 and @Ante. I just love Apple Strudel, you're making me hungry!!

Enjoy your chat/gossip @Ladybird4

• Like Like x 2
                    • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +809
                      Home again.
                      I'm sure the weeds waited till the car had pulled out of the drive, then said, 'go for it boys'.
                      They did.
                      The tomatoes did not.
                      Still green.
                      Schools break up here tomorrow. Cue the rain.
                      After all, we've had 2 days' sunshine.
                      Our new BBQ has jinxed it!

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                        Ratings:
                        +5,904
                        Good afternoon all. Back from Bestie's where we had a lovely relaxed time. Did some tidying and replanting in her garden. Should just enlighten those who don't know but my Bestie does not like touching the soil with her bare hands and nearly freaks out when I do. She has that hideous artificial turf because she doesn't want slugs, worms or snails anywhere near her. I came out well from her digging up stuff, as she gave me some beautiful, big cyclamen corms which she was just going to dump! They will do well in my garden.
                        @Ante1, I have never eaten cherry strudel but I'll bet yours is delicious.
                        @Goldenlily26, I thought Pascha's little black dress was stunning. I must admit that I was also shocked when Susie said she had never sewn on a hook and eye before. I am very envious of the latest machines they have that automatically do buttonholes. I would also love one of those cutting wheels that seem to go through finer materials like a hot knife through butter. Speaking of statins, I had a telephone discussion with the practice nurse some weeks back (a standard telephone consultation) and she discussed statins with me. I said that I would not take them but when I went to pick up my regular prescription from the chemist i found two packs of statins in the package as well. Words fail me. The next time I go to pick up a prescription I will be handing these unopened packages back. No wonder the NHS struggles.
                        @lizzie27, fingers crossed here that your OH's op proceeds without any hiccups once the blood test results are through.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                          Ratings:
                          +5,904
                          @Penny_Forthem, I've got healthy green tomatoes too!
                          @Ante1 just for you. How to be a cool cat!
                          Cool cat.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1