Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,156
    Good evening. It’s a beautiful temp here - like Summer!

You are good only have two of the four @RowlandsCastle.

That is annoying @redstar -
    I hope it’s not as much as you suggest to fix it.

I am very pleased for you and your dog @Goldenlily26 - phew!

I said the same re tonight’s food @Blue arbour - we had left over roast chicken in a nice bap, so no cooking and no faff. Brilliant result and charity choice too.

35 degrees is not for me @floralies @Tui34 @Busy-Lizzie @Obelix-Vendée! I hope you can keep comfy.

I hope you are enjoying the Olympics @Ladybird4 and others who are interested. I caught the swimming last night and I’ll see what’s on offer shortly.

Enjoy the harvest pickings @Penny_Forthem.

I just had a little cry watching the news - a tragic story headlining. I will try not to dwell on that and be even more grateful that I am enjoying my evening tonight.

Take care everyone.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
    • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
      Ratings:
      +5,931
      Good morning everybody. Such dreadful news on TV this morning. I can only imagine the pain and suffering of the families of all those children attacked in Southport yesterday. This seaside town is just up the road from me and my Bestie's Mum and some of my ex colleague friends live there
      upload_2024-7-30_7-33-20.jpeg .​

• Friendly Friendly x 4
      • Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
        Ratings:
        +5,931
        @Penny_Forthem, your description of the wishdosher made me smile so it was nice to have the gloom of today's news lifted somewhat. I have 4 tomatoes to be eaten with my lunch today as for the micro cukes - it will be a while yet, though if the plant growth is anything to go by, I will not be able to get into the greenhouse soon.

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,931
          @AuntyRach, I am enjoying the Olympics. I cannot believe the change in the weather from that teeming rain on the opening day to the sunshine they are in now. Why should I be surprised though? My summer (hah) has been like that.

• Like Like x 2
          • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,692
            Thanks Redstar.
            Interestingly the vet put Rob onto a food supplement which contains Milk Thistle, Vit C and E. to support his liver function. He has to have another blood test in a months time to check his red cell count and see if he has recovered.
            He loves the supplement, sprinkled on his food each day, he seems to think he is having an extra treat! He is such a dustbin, he would eat anything I gave him, except bananas!. Too slimy I guess. He doesn't get many treats from me as he is only a small/med size so it would be very easy to over feed him.
            I can now relax until his next crisis. I feel shattered from worrying about him. Who would have animals!

• Like Like x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 3
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +3,128
              Morning all.

I had a terrible night. OH had the fan on in the bedroom, too noisy. I turned it off when he was asleep, too hot. 30C. Went to the spare room as it was a bit cooler. Strange room, not my bed.

Must do some more deadheading before it gets too hot.

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +801
                Good morning all!

Slept in until 8am , so I got up and dressed straightaway to take Fizz out before the heat - it was already 25°C!! Brushed and checked Fizz for grasses - clipped the knotty bit and tummy. She's sooo patient with me. Then I got waylaid sweeping up some olive leaves in the sun. Then clipped back the grapevine which is hanging over the table under the pergola. So I am going to have a cool shower and prepare something for lunch. A tomato salad no doubt. The morning has whizzed by!!

I know you are not used to it @Busy-Lizzie but an aircon unit (not in the bedroom but nearby) would help a lot. They are now silent and very very efficient. You don't have to have it on Antartica mode, but at a moderate temperature for sleeping. You should have night rates too. We're not getting any younger and the heat affects us more. Sorry.

My tomatoes are just starting @floralies in spite of the hot weather. Slowly but surely.

So glad for your wee doggie @Goldenlily26 My dog is "spotting" but the vet says there are no tumours, no swelling, no temperature. She eats well, loves her run and chasing cats etc. I have cortisone spray but I don't think it is cutaneous. But I don't like it. She is sterilised.

News in UK is dreadful. Whatever for?

I hope you all have a lovely day and enjoying this summer weather.

• Like Like x 4
                • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
                  Ratings:
                  +975
                  Good morning from a very warm South Yorkshire. I’ve got all the windows open on the shady side of the house and all the curtains drawn on the sunny side, in an attempt to cool things down a bit. Reverse operation this afternoon when the sun moves round.

OH got the grass cut yesterday ready for green bin collection today, so it looks tidy once more.

My back gave me trouble through the night -I’d felt a very slight twinge earlier in the evening, so had a shower, aiming the water at the tender area. This helped at the time, but once I got into bed, I just didn’t know which way to turn for the discomfort and pain, so had a somewhat restless night. Anyway, I’ve woken up feeling much better this morning, but I can still feel a niggle. Looks like I’ve developed a weakness in that area. Hey ho, such is life.

Like you, @Tui34 my tomatoes, too, are beginning to get going. I’ve had the odd ripe one, but literally just one every 3 weeks or so since June, so not many. There now looks to be more getting to that light green shade.

The news is indeed dreadful regarding the stabbing incident. Also, last week a woman was attacked walking her dog and has since tragically lost her life, and nearer home, a man in his early 80’s thrown into the river and drowned. The situation seems to be worsening- such random, pointless attacks. Scary.

Goodness me @Busy-Lizzie, that sounds uncomfortably hot.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 3
                  • floralies

floralies Gardener

Retired.
                    Ratings:
                    +418
                    Hello all, I too was up early to do the watering etc.
                    We haven't got round to getting an aircon unit yet, but we find it's not too bad at night with the windows open and mosquito blinds pulled down, and then shut the windows and shutters when it gets hot during the day.
                    The courgettes and aubergines are growing like mad, I wish the tomatoes would ripen to catch up with them!
                    Dreadful news from the UK, there seems to be so many stabbings, whats going on?
                    Have a peaceful day everyone.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +2,408
                      Hello everyone. Hot here and muggy with a storm expected but only the noisy bits. Not enough rain to clear the air or water the beds so I can weed. Indoor jobs for me today with shutters down and windows closed to keep cool. No fan or aircon here - yet - but we do just have a duvet cover. I tend to be woken up anyway at some point by huntress cat announcing her latest mouse and/or my dozy boy cat needing some affection.

Great news about your dog @Goldenlily26 It must be a huge relief.

No ripe tomatoes here yet but we do, at last, have a few green ones showing. The cucmber has produced a few so far but no cougettes yet. They're still teeny.

@Penny_Forthem I hope the wishdosher is functioning well now. Essential bits of kit for me. It used to be the rule that I cooked so OH did dishes. Far fewer breakages ever since we got our first machine tho he still manages the odd accident when emptying it.

Utterly baffled by that stabbing incident and others like it. Unbearable grief for those families.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,359
                        I've been clearing more block paving, and decided to use my App to try and identify this "seaweed" stuff.
                        Apparently it's Common Liverwort.
                        It looks very odd to me.
                        IMG_20240730_105529350_HDR.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +3,128
                          It's quite common @RowlandsCastle. We have it in Norfolk, more so when it rains a lot.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                            Ratings:
                            +5,931
                            It is often found growing on the top of compost in plant pots.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                              Ratings:
                              +11,493
                              Tuesday, 8:47AM
                              @Goldenlily26 , like that combo your vet has for your dog. Years I always looked to finding herbs to take instead of man made pills. So far knock wood I am not on any man made chemicals. Unfortunately recently I did get a Deer tick bit, caught the Lyme Disease, but noticed the bullseye right away, started on the recommend antibiotics, really felt them in my system, but that is done now. Onward.

Peeled some fresh beets just now, simmering. Tomorrow will make a Chocolate Beet Cake. they have to be pureed. So better just wait till cold. Have a recipe I have used, but will google about for another. And I save the cooking liquid, reduce it some, for something later. All good.

We shall find out the cost of the Electrician at the airbnb today. You know its not just the cost of him, its the cost of the "action" of the Property Manager taking charge to organizing it all. SMH. if we lived closer husband could fix it all. The guests seem to understand.

Over here did not hear anything about the tragic event in the UK, such a shame. Recently, yet another illegal immigrant killed someone, that makes many, lost count, they used a knife. Too much sad stuff in the world. People seem to be very upset in general with life. I pray daily for peace.

Take care all.

• Like Like x 4
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +1,194
                                We’ve been out for breakfast, and then a walk in as much shade as we could find. It felt a bit extravagant at first, both in time and money, to go out so often, but the days we stay at home, despite our best efforts, we do find ourselves sitting around finishing our coffee until late in the morning. At least if we get up and out early, we get a decent bit of exercise. And the profits from our breakfast go to the charity, so we can feel quite virtuous enjoying our proper coffee and , for me this morning, overnight oats with blueberries!
                                Too hot out to do much, but I might head up to the shade later and clear some more ivy off the pathways. Just being a bit cautious up there, having disturbed a wasp nest a few years ago, and also met a grass snake on the pathway last month. I’m not actually scared of snakes, but would definitely prefer not to meet them unexpectedly! It was only small, but a really beautiful dark olive green. Unfortunately by the time I’d gone in to get my iPad for a picture, it had disappeared into the undergrowth.
                                A few years ago, we splashed out on a very expensive fan, one of the posh brand with no visible moving parts. It has turned out ( for us) to be worth every penny, whisper quiet so we can leave it on during the night, and it’s been keeping us cool and comfortable. It also has a handy timer, so we can set it to switch off after we have managed to get off to sleep.
                                Very pleased that the dog is making a good recovery. They are such a worry when they aren’t well. We gave up watching or listening to the news years ago, but I’ve got back into the habit of scanning the on line headlines. Not a good idea, I’ll have to go back to self rationing. Too much to cause heartbreak, and / or make me really angry. Back to the library books or logic puzzles for me.

• Like Like x 5
                                • Agree Agree x 1