Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,409
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,361
      Thank you. It may be common, but I don't recall seeing it before.
      Mind you, that's no indication that I've never actually seen it, given my memory issues. :rolleyespink:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
        Ratings:
        +880
        Afternoon all. Only 23 C here, though that's quite hot enough for me to need to weed in the shade. Fortunately we have both weeds and shade...

Nice to hear about your cats, @Obelix-Vendée . We lost our Vera nearly two years ago, but I still expect to see her asleep in her favourite chair. We were very attached to each other, and she'd often sleep on my tummy under the duvet at night. I have a friend who runs a cat rescue locally, and she keeps sending me photos of her rescued kittens, but so far I've managed to resist the temptation to have another cat.

Our local "knit & natter" group is currently doing what my husband calls "un-knitting". We get sent binbags full of rejected items from a mill in Donegal which makes Aran garments using beautiful pure wool in various colours, which we unravel and wind into 100g balls for sale in aid of various charities, including the cat rescue. Some part-garments can be mended, if the flaw is small, and backs & fronts matched up with sleeves to make complete garments for sale. I find "un-knitting" is an excellent use of my hands whilst watching the Olympics!

• Like Like x 4
        • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,931
          @Liriodendron, I swore I would never have another cat after I lost my beloved Lily in December but I'm afraid my resistance was much lower than yours and along came Cricket. I still miss the sedate little cat that Lily became in her old age and I now have a boisterous, heavy monster who is endlessly amusing. I think that 'unknitting' is a superb idea. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 3
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,195
            @Obelix-Vendée, have you tried piriton hay fever tablets? I was stung at least ten times on the legs, very uncomfortable despite immediately taking my usual hayfever tablets, paracetamol and using ice packs. After a few days, I started to worry that I had cellulitis, so booked a visit to the Minor Injuries Unit at the local hospital. Reassured by the nurse who saw me, who gave me antibiotics to start in a couple of days if there was no improvement, and recommended Piriton, which I haven’t used for years because it sent me to sleep, plus aloe vera gel. I didn’t find the aloe vera much help, but the Piriton certainly did the trick, and had the advantage of helping me sleep despite the itching. I now keep a pack in the medicine drawer just in case.
            I just love the idea of the Unknitting, @Liriodendron! Sounds like a very satisfying pastime!

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +11,493
              Thanks @Obelix-Vendée for the recipes. I'll take a look.
              @Ladybird4 our last cat passed on this past December, she was 19 years old. We have had a total of 9 cats, they spent most days outside, some did like to come inside through the "cat door", they spent the night in the garden room. We did on top of that rescue 7 kittens, had so much joy, found them good homes. But now with all the traveling I don't think its far to get another pet. Did and do have awesome neighbors who would come by twice daily putting out and picking up the cat dry food outside for them. We set back very far, and a huge 10 acres of woods behind us so all is protected well. It seemed to work for all these years.

• Like Like x 3
              • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                Ratings:
                +5,931
                Signing out for this evening - just done a major watering job in the garden and now I need a shower. See you all tomorrow.

Happy 30th July.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +1,692
                  I am exhausted! Took Rob for a walk early. Came home and had a coffee before going to Aldi's to do a shop, then on to B&M to kill time and buy some toothpaste I forgot in Aldi's. Then on to the hairdresser who was running 20 mins. late so had to sit and wait. Then on to Pets at Home to collect Rob's prescription before finally heading home. By that time it was unbelievably hot, especially getting into the car after each time I stopped. Put away the shopping then collapsed in a chair for the rest of the day.

• Like Like x 3
                  • PatE

PatE Gardener

Ratings:
                    +596
                    Still very cold here, so am still snuggling under a blanket on the lounge.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                      Ratings:
                      +5,931
                      Hello there @PatE and all dropping by soon. It was the hottest day of the year in many parts here @PatE so many of us would be languising in the shade, in front of fans or air con. Seems like thunderstorms are on the way too.
                      July ending.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                        Ratings:
                        +5,931
                        I am picking up a friend at 09:00 and we are heading for a breakfast meet up with my sis and some more of our friends. We always meet at a Garden Centre - surprise surprise - and I will be having a look around. Perhaps they will already have some spring bulbs in but I will see if anything else takes my fancy.

• Like Like x 3
                        • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                          +3,157
                          Good Morning and G’Day all.

I still find it strange that you are trying to keep cosy and warm @PatE, when in U.K. and France we are trying to keep cool! It would be boring if we all had just one temperature zone though!

I hope midweek is good to you all.

• Like Like x 3
                          • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +1,195
                            A day at home today, supposedly will get some chores done. Haha, it’s nearly 10am and so far, all I’ve done is have breakfast and waste time looking through the news on line - which I have been trying to avoid. Should have come to this website sooner! Not even actually out of bed yet. Shocking! Still, I have outlined a list of things to get done today, very satisfying if I get a few ticks against the list.
                            OH has put the tv on for the Olympics, so at least we can enjoy some lovely scenes of Paris in the background. Even better with no sound! Watching the men’s triathlon with interest. Son is an amateur triathlete, I did worry about the time he competed in a race round London, which involved a swim in the Thames alongside London City Airport. I can’t remember if he got sick afterwards, but I’m sure it wasn’t the cleanest stretch of water!
                            One green bin full, and a week to go to fill the other one, so I can indulge in some daintier tasks like dead heading or repotting things. All take time but don’t produce much waste - we are slaves to the green bin collection. I do have another stint of ivy removal to do, have to pace myself on that, it’ll never be finished, and I’ve got my eye on a bramble that is peeking out of the shrubbery. At least it’ll be shady under the trees, so I’ll be able to escape some of the heat.
                            There is a wonderful scent of warm pine in the front garden. Very hot and still, reminds me of holidays on the west coast of France, lovely.
                            Hope all have a good day, keeping cool, ( apart from @PatE, of course) that dogs continue to improve, medical problems improve, and our gardens give us joy!

• Like Like x 3
                            • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +801
                              Good morning all!

Awake early but decided to have breakfast first before taking Fizz out for her run. If I go too early, I encounter the Pyrenean Mountain Dog galloping towards us - and she is very aggressive towards other female dogs.

Today is hot - as hot goes down here. Unfortunately it is also very muggy and the air is oppressive. I got an alert on my phone at 11am to stay inside and not venture out at all costs. Drink plenty of water etc. etc. There are a couple of places for people to go to, if they don't have air con - TV with Olympics on - reading - board games etc. Fizz and I will be here inside, chilling out!! Tomorrow is going to be even hotter! How did you sleep last night @Busy-Lizzie ? I took a hot water bottle that I keep in the freezer to bed with me. It does help. I "chill" the bed before I get into it!!

Enjoy your day folks!!

AC0C51FB-BF94-4C09-91FD-5031B33EA2B5.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
                              • Badly_Maintained

Badly_Maintained Inept know-nothing gardener

Early retiree & (unofficial) carer for my Parents.
                                Ratings:
                                +430
                                Good morning ladies & gentlemen.

I've been spending another prolonged sojourn in migraineland, but seem to have escaped it today. :)

The Shirley poppies and corn marigolds which saw me through the first half of the Summer are all but over, and the baton has been passed to cosmos and French marigolds. There has been dry, sunny and warm weather all this week (forecast to change on Friday), so this morning I had a bit of a tidy up and sowed a few other annual seeds: busy lizzie, Mexican paintbrush, moss rose, painted sage, (more) cosmos, and coneflowers. Was it too late in the year? Time will tell I suppose.

Best wishes to all as always.

• Like Like x 4