Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,939
    Time to say good night folks. Hope you all get some decent sleep tonight. See you all in the morning.
    Dream Big.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
      Ratings:
      +5,939
      Happy Sunday.jpg
      A very good morning one and all. When I was first up there was a glimmer of sunshine but now, typically, it has become overcast. I am going to visit the local GC later. I have a cunning plan for the area outside my back door. I hope that you all have happy days.

• Like Like x 3
      • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,132
        Morning all.

We are going to visit 2 open gardens today. I have put the Olympics on record.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,939
          Good morning @Busy-Lizzie. Which gardens are you visiting?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,699
            I have never thought about lifting my waterlilies for the winter. I just put the baskets on the shelf in the pond and left them to get on with it. The red one was shy to flower for several years but has more than made up for it this year. The cream and yellow ones have flowered every year. Some of them are supposed to have scent but it is too far down for me to bend to check without me falling in the pond! They are rather expensive to buy but are lovely in a small pond, the leaves are miniature as well which means they do not cover the entire surface of the water.
            I also went to Kew many moons ago and saw the giant waterlilies, they were not in flower but still amazing to see. There is a garden near me I and my daughter are going to explore, Thregehan, I did go there many years ago just after they began opening to the public. We must do a reccie. and see what it is like now, after the main holiday season has finished when it will be quieter. I think they are only open on Wednesdays.

• Like Like x 4
            • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
              Ratings:
              +975
              Good morning all

A bit of an overcast start to the day with a light drizzle, but it is forecast to brighten up.
              I’ve had a busy couple of days, hence not posted, but I have read the posts to catch up.

We went to York for the day on Friday. It was busy, but not unbearably so. The weather was glorious - so warm. This time, we visited the Minster, which was lovely and cool. The ticket is valid for a year, so we will go again. The stained glass windows are superb.

Yesterday, we visited friends and ate outdoors. It’s a shame that the temperature had dropped, but I took layers, so it wasn’t too bad. It was so nice to see them again, and quite alarming to realise just how long ago it was since last getting together, and how the time slips by, without really noticing.

We have similar outlet stores @redstar. Sometimes, you can drop on some real bargains, with considerable discounts.

• Like Like x 5
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +3,132
                • Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,157
                  Good Morning everyone.

It’s much cooler today. There’s a food and craft market near me today so I might pop to that.

Have a lovely day all.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +1,197
                    Morning, all. Out for breakfast and a walk, but feeling very guilt free, after spending several hours in the garden yesterday. The green bins are almost full for Wednesday, and I pulled up a surprisingly large quantity of ivy. The best bit is that I have almost cleared a defined area, so hopefully with the roots and outgrowing tendrils gone, that might stay ivy clear for a good while. Each piece I pulled out seemed to have spread a frighteningly long way, just showed how invasive it can be, but on the plus side, a little effort produced a lot more waste. All very satisfying.
                    I retrieved a couple of salvias from the plant ‘hospital’ ie dumping ground round the side of the house, with a plan to plant them near the steps up to the lawn. They had got a bit weedy and leggy, and the ‘Hot Lips’ were looking decidedly anaemic. I suspect OH won’t be in favour of my plans, but I shall try and convince him that this is a temporary arrangement until we decide what to plant in a bare sloping area, and the advantages are that they will be right outside the house and easy to water, and that they can be moved at a later stage. The ‘bare sloping area’ has been in that state for at least three or four years, and we still haven’t come to an agreement as to what to do with it!

• Like Like x 5
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +803
                      Good morning all!

Very windy still here and the temperatures are still in the 30s. Good times for the tourists and restauranteurs alike.

Rest for me. Inside, in the cool. I do some weeding every day to keep on top of everything, but the heat and the hip and knee pain get sooooo annoying and frustrating. Onwards and upwards!

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

53993D5F-A792-4B69-BF74-CDC377516723.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
                      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                        Ratings:
                        +11,493
                        Sunday morning. Rained heavy again last night. Looks like the electric also went out for a bit. Thank goodness for our generator, did not even hear it go on. But the flashing stove clock told me electric went out. Over caste this morning.

@Ergates , I am lucky here, any garden debree goes on our burn pile at the bottom of the property, and when high enough gets a match. No putting it in the bin. We all here can do the same, small bonfires every now and then.

As one ages, so does the loss of past known folks happen. Just found out that a prior boyfriend of mine passed away, we dated for about 4 years, talked about marriage also. But I had to break it off because he cheated on me. Jerk. Still a loss, he did have a piece of my heart. He's from Ohio. He did call me about 37 years ago, to tell me how stupid he was to let me go, and I agreed with him. Such is life.

Have a grand day all.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +1,462
                          Condolences @redstar ,that’ll tug at the heartstrings:sad:

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                            Ratings:
                            +5,939
                            Good afternoon everyone. Rain has stopped play here again today so I suppose I'll be 'forced' to stay inside and binge watch the Olympics - sigh! :smile:
                            Thank you for the information @Busy-Lizzie - such a worthy cause too.
                            @Tui34, I can totally empathise with you as both my right hip and hand drive me to distraction with arthritic pain. This is when I would like someone to just squirt some WD40 or similar into my joints.
                            @Ergates, once the rain stops, I will be declaring further war on the ivy in my garden - got rid of a lot in the green bin on Thursday. One of the other pains in my garden is green alkanet. I am in two minds about this plant as the blue flowers are stunning and much loved by the bees but its an absolute thug and its tap roots, I swear, go down to Antarctica! As much as I manage to get rid of, more pops up in another part of the garden.

• Like Like x 3
                            • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +2,421
                              26C in the shade and set to get hotter. I've had a lazy morning reading and am just having a cuppa before heading out to gather into one place and start sorting thru all my pots in the "nursery" and making sure they can survive 8 days with OH in charge of watering. Need to go thru, weed, re-pot and organise so a good sprinkler session will reach all of them. No rain forecast in the next 10 days.

I hope you enjoy your garden vsits @Busy-Lizzie Jardins Ouverts is quite a thing in Belgium with some fabulous gardens but I haven't found any sign of the organisation here in the Vendée.

Have you tried turmeric for your arthritis @Tui34 and @Ladybird4? It helped me and I still take it to slow down my hands and toes from getting worse.

@Goldenlily26 these are tender, tropical, blue water lilies he's keeping safe. I'm tying with a small tub pond when I do the bit at the back of the house this autumn, so I can have a mini lily but hardy.

@redstar we are not allowed garden fires here. Too dangerous and can be anti-social too cos of the smoke. We have a lot compost bins and heaps, use long grass cuttings as mulch in the veg plot and pile up small twigs and branches for the shredder or as kindle for the log burner. No green bins here @Ergates so any ivy and oher persistent weeds have to be left out to dry before they go on a compost heap.

Enjoy your afternoon everyone.

• Like Like x 3
                              • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +1,406
                                Afternoon folks, a nice day with some sunshine/cloudy bits so pleasant for outdoor tasks. I walked to the papershop for some much needed exercise as OH can now be safely left for a bit.

He has an appointment at the hospital for a wound check tomorrow, can't believe it's nearly a fortnight since his op. Talking of hospitals, my sister was rushed in late last night with a suspected heart attack but after 13 hours of tests, which were all negative thank goodness they've just discharged her so we can all breathe again. It's not the first time it's happened and probably won't be the last but we're all a bit jumpy after my late brother's death from heart failure last March.

I'm also tackling ivy @Ergates and @Ladybird4 but it's at the top of a 6ft high boundary fence and not easy to access because of small steps beneath and because I fixed some pigeon deterrent wires to the top some years ago. The ivy has completely engulfed them so I'm pondering how to deal with that, might have to ask the NDN's for access their side if possible.

Enjoy your garden visits @Busy-Lizzie.

You never forget past boyfriends @redstar.

Have a good afternoon everybody.

• Like Like x 3
                                • Agree Agree x 2