Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Badly_Maintained

Badly_Maintained Inept know-nothing gardener

Early retiree & (unofficial) carer for my Parents.
    Ratings:
    +430
    Good morning ladies & gentlemen.

Congratulations on your weight loss @Penny_Forthem .

I hope your OH receives good news at his check-up today @lizzie27 , and I hope your Sister is now OK as well, that must have been a very frightening incident.

The good news is that, of the 6 varieties of annual seeds which I sowed on the last day of July, 3 types seem to have germinated well (I'm always very pleasantly surprised when anything at all germinates for me).

Have a wonderful day out there folks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,424
      G'day everyone. Sunny here and forecast is for a sunny 25C later on but we're already at 25C in the shade and still 2 hours to go beofre the sun is at its zenith.

As it's so dry OH started clearing the rust off our gates with my drill and wire brush but was OK to be interrupted to come and help me heave bags of comopost from France Rurale. I can manage 1 60 litre bag but not a carload. Lots of potting on to do in my "nursery" before I leave them all to OH's tender mercies.

Sounds like a good day @Busy-Lizzie. The Belgians don't do tea and cake, just take money for the entries and that goes to their chosen charity.

@Tui34 I take my turmeric in capsule form but also use it in cooking. My knees were almost bereft of cartilage before the ops. The second one has taken a lot longer to complete the healing process despite same surgeon, same prosthetics and same physio. Different meds after tho - ketoprofene instead of ibuprofen and my tum roundly rejected the keto stuff and everything else for 3 days. Something to be aware of perhaps.

Hips are a lot simpler than knees and you'll heal quickly since I assume you're already quite fit from the cycling and dog walking and not averse to exercise. My physio's dad has had both hips and knees done and is fine.

Lunchtime here, then mud pie stuff for me. Lovely.

• Like Like x 5
      • floralies

floralies Gardener

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +418
        Hello all. we've had a strange couple off days mostly on the phone! It started with a visit from an English couple who have stayed in our studio a few times over the years, and are house sitting at a friends house at the moment. The following day we had a frantic phone call to say that P was having some sort of seizure help! help! what was she to do it was happening while she was on the phone! So I talked her through what to do and then she ran round to the neighbour who called an ambulance as she has no French. The air ambulance came apparently and took him to hospital where he is now having tests but he is ok and seemingly none the worse for his seizure.
        A little while later my son phoned to say their car had gone up in flames up in Normandy, luckily they were able to get out of it with their possessions! They were staying at his FIL's second home, but not near it when the car caught fire. He praised all the locals who came out with buckets of water to help before the Pompiers arrived. Anyway the car is a write off and they are shortening their stay, Re-arranging their travel and going back as foot passengers instead! It's all been rather hectic, but not for us apart from imparting help and information over the phone!

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
          Ratings:
          +11,493
          No Charcoal BBQ's horrid. That's the only type I grill on.

• Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,939
          Good afternoon all.I managed to get quite a bit done in the garden today. Pleased to report that my 'missed' bin was emptied this morning. Thumbs up for the Council!
          Great news about your germinating seeds @Badly_Maintained. I still think you could get a good show before the first frosts! Its always worth a gamble.
          Not long now until your trip @Obelix-Vendée. I hope you are leaving detailed notes for the 'plant sitter'! :biggrin:
          Goodness @floralies. What a complete nightmare for you yet you sound to be so cool, calm and collected. I think I would have had to retire to a dark room with a wet cloth on my head! Greatly pleased to hear that there were no casualties - apart fom the poor car and that the English visitor appears unscathed after his seizure fright.

• Like Like x 4
            Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
            Ratings:
            +5,939
            Tonight it is the annual Quiz Presentation Evening for all the league winners. The team I play for did not win the league but the evening is always pleasant. Last year they provided a marvellous buffet so I'm looking forward to seeing what may be on offer this time. I will report back tomorrow.
            Signing out for now as I need to get scrubbed and polished. Catch up with you in the morning.
            have-a-good-night-city-lights-7uhhb7tbys5s07sc.jpg

• Like Like x 2
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Ratings:
              +11,493
              Monday. 11:36AM.
              Just same old stuff about the house, maybe some garden stuff---but its already 85degrees.

At our Airbnb I do not have or will allow any BBQ grill, too many dry pine tree needles about. And frankly don't trust folks. Not just me, our Property manager gave a firm NO when we were listing thoughts. There are many issues, not just fire, but "who's cleaning up afterward etc. Cleaners certainly have enough to do.

Take care all.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +1,406
                Afternoon everybody, OH got the OK from the Wound Clinic today but they decided to leave the current dressing in place to avoid disturbing scabs etc until next week . That's all very well but he was looking forward to his first shower after a fortnight without! Hey ho. He also got ticked off for leaving off the compression stockings because his leg was swollen (which they didn't seem too worried about) so I had to help with those as soon as we got home. It's such a struggle, to get them on, I don't know how people living on their own manage with those.

Sis is ok today, just very tired, thanks to those who asked. She suffers from atrial fibulation and also has asthma, not a good combination if you feel you can't breathe.

Glad you enjoyed your garden visits @Busy-Lizzie.

I'm reading the arthritis/tumeric posts with interest as my fingers are just beginning to ache
                again after reducing the steroid pills again this week. I rather thought that might happen, I must say it's been nice this last year not to have many aches and pains - especially when gardening.
                A friend has just had a steroid injection for a very painful arthritic finger - I must find out whether it's working.

Well done @Penny_Forthem, wish I could say the same!

@floralies, what a lot of excitement - which you could well have done without. One would have been quite enough but two! Hope your son gets back ok.

• Like Like x 5
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Ratings:
                  +11,493
                  Question: When you receive a message on your cell number you say you got a TEXT.

When you receive a message on your email you say you got an email message.

Correct for both??? or something different???? Thanks.

• Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +2,424
                  Just email and text for me altho the French call the phones "portable", the Brits "mobile" and the Belgians "GSM". Interestingly, the French call an email a "mail" and the Belgian French call it a "courriel" - courrier (mail) électronique.

It has been very hot and humid here today and I've been melting. Nevertheless I've been able to get all the pots out of the veg plot and into the nursery in one of the barns that lost its roof in a tornado. It's open to the sky and the north so gets some shade thru the day and shelter from the summer winds. OH also helped me move a table in there for a potting bench and there are 6 bags of compost ready for me to start tomorrow and plenty of empty pots now. I left the sprinkler on after all that so everything should be easier to play with tomorrow.

After all that I dig up some spuds for dinner. The hens came to help so it was a bit of a challenge.

@floralies even at one remove that sounds like more excitement and stress than anyone needs. I hope your son and his family get home OK.

@lizzie27 glad OH is doing well. At least with my knees I had waterproof dressings so could shower from the following day. Bit tricky with a drain in but do-able.

@Ladybird4 bit late but I hope you will be well fed and entertained.

• Like Like x 3
                  • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                    Ratings:
                    +22,579
                    Germans use handys.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,361
                      Congratulations Keeley Hodgkinson.
                      :hapydancsmil:

• Agree Agree x 5
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +3,137
                        I started the weeding of the veg garden and I deadheaded a climbing rose then we went to the SM. Gosh, prices have gone up! This afternoon I watched ladies gymnastics.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                          Ratings:
                          +5,939
                          Tuesday.jpg
                          Hello there everyone. Last night was a huge success and the buffet was simply wonderful. I still feel full this morning. It absolutely heaved it down as we were returning home and then a most disturbing thing occurred. As we approached my lane we both saw what we thought was a pedestrian, walking along in the middle of the road. It wasn't however, it was a cyclist. All we could see - and not really clearly - were the reflectors on his pedals. He had no lights either front or rear and it was pitch black. Talk about an accident waiting to happen! Admittedly at almost midnight, traffic was very sparse, but how stupid can some people get?
                          I differentiate texts and emails by the fact that texts go to a number and emails go to an email address.
                          Happy to say that milk was sitting safely on my doorstep this morning and the milkman had tucked the bottle as far out of sight from the road as he could.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +803
                            Good morning all!

Yes @redstar I say I have received an Email. And for the phone, I say an SMS or a message.

2nd hip op @Obelix-Vendée And yes @lizzie27 those compression stockings are so fretful to get on and off. It's painful and frustrating straight after surgery. Although. I did continue using them throughout the winter as I worked at a primary school teaching english, and you are basically standing all day long. I think they are good. I chose black stockings so that I can wear a skirt. You'd never know. Good for long journeys - plane or car etc. Keeps the broken capillaries at bay!! We are allowed district nurses to come in morning and evening if necessary to give anti coagulant injection and help get the stockings on. The bane of their lives - I am pretty sure!!

A bit of excitement @floralies!!!

A5430083-4DF6-41F9-B6E2-6EE5245AC082.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
                            • Agree Agree x 2