Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,406
    Afternoon folks.

Happy Birthday @redstar. Enjoy your meal out tonight.

Sorry you encountered that horrid man again @Tui34, it must be quite upsetting. Perhaps you get your friend to accompany you when he comes to stay and get him to glare at the other man.

I picked a handful of runner beans for OH's dinner last Monday and it looks like our dwarf French beans will be next - hopefully. Apart from potatoes, we haven't grown any other veggies this year but were given 3 tomato plants and 2 sweet peppers.

Hope the abandoned car goes soon @Ladybird4, annoying when you just want to cut your hedge.
    I've contacted our local council about a very tall Norwegian Maple at the top of our garden on the outside verge. Who on earth thought 40/50 years ago it was a good idea to plant that one needs their head examined. It now appears to be dying on its north side with most of the foliage growing on the south side, i.e. facing downhill so quite lopsided. Fortunately the council emailed back to say all the trees along our boundary are due to be inspected late summer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +803
      Happy Birthday @redstar I am sure you will have an enjoyable meal out this evening. Let's hope the hurricane doesn't do too much damage to your air BNB.
      69BA3447-27CE-48D8-B471-F6B8BC934F60.jpeg

His problem is @Ladybird4 that his JR which is on a leash, lashed out barking at my Border as we were cycling/running past about 2 months ago. Fizz responded with her barking at the JR and continued to follow me. It has happened on 2 occasions. He was furious as his dog was smaller - but did instigate the barking. I told him that it was just (dog) insults and that they sort themselves out one way or another. He wasn't having any of it. Anyway, this morning - we just ignored them. Even though his dog started to bark again. I just tell Fizz to "walk on - good girl" and she knows what I require of her and she did. It's the only dog that we seem to have trouble with. Anyway, we were late this morning because of the weather and he was at his usual time. I haven't actually seen him for about a month now. I had to smile because a little further on his way - was Django. A 10-yr old Staffie who was off his leash and bounding around the field looking for rabbits. The man keeps him on a leash when walking the paths. The little JR will be quite scared of him!

I must thank you also @Ladybird4 (I think it was you). For telling me about Borrowbox. It has taken a while - and I had to buy a more recent iPad (reconditioned) to download the programme. (With gentle encouragement from my niece) My girlfriend in Melbourne who has cancer, very kindly let me in on her card. So now I am registered and am reading my first borrowed library book online!! I'm chuffed. Apparently, the librarian told her that this seems to be a common occurrence, of people who live in non-English speaking countries to "hijack" a friend's library card and they are going to put a stop to it. Ho hum and sigh. But I am pleased as when I go into the clinic early September to have this hip operation, I shall have reading matter!!! YYaaaay!! Thank you again.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
        Ratings:
        +5,939
        Just been to put out my bin for tomorrow's collection and someone has been and moved the car - slightly. It is still outside my house but at least it is now just teetering on the kerb edge rather than obstructing the pavement and I can get to my hedge to cut it. Number 1 item on tomorrow's 'to do' list. I am not going to see my Bestie tomorrow as I am full of cold and I do not want to pass it on to her as she could in turn pass it on to her Mum.

• Like Like x 1
        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,939
          Hello there @Tui34, yes, it was me you got in touch with and I am really pleased that you finally got it all sorted out. Not long now until you will become a bionic woman :smile: I think you will be joining a very noble group. I heard on TV this morning that there is a new drug - Abaloparatide (hope that they pinch Comfrey's nickname and call it 'Knitbone' - much easier to remember), which will be available on the NHS in the next few months, that will protect we senior Goddesses from osteoporosis.
          I remember you telling us all about the objectionable JR owner. Grrrr!

• Like Like x 2
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +11,493
            Thanks all for your birthday wishes. just after noon here. dinner at 6:30PM.

But is not the case, have in mine one set of earrings want to wear and takes you 20 mins to find them, I stash good stuff away. LOL. SMH but got to get rid of several I don't care about.

• Funny Funny x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +11,493
            • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
              Ratings:
              +5,939
              I am signing out for today. Hope you all have lovely evenings - especially @redstar. See you all tomorrow.
              Evening 1.jpg

• Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
              Ratings:
              +883
              Hello folks. Happy birthday @redstar !

Just a quick hedgehog update. No response from Hogsprickle, but I guess they're probably overrun with their everyday work - and I'm now quite sure that there's nothing wrong with our hedgehog. It's regained its svelte shape, according to last night's wildlife camera photos:

hedgehog bulgeless.JPG

• Like Like x 4
              • Burr

Burr Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +8
                Tui, try the Audiobooks on Borrowbox, too. They are good company when you are pottering about doing stuff

• Like Like x 2
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Liriodendron

Retired gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +883
                  I still don't know for sure that it's a female, though I strongly suspect it is. Having collected a lot of nesting material a month ago, last night it went out a dozen or so times between 8.30pm and 6am, bringing back more grass and bits and stashing them under the shed:

hedgehog bedding.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                  • Liriodendron

Retired gardener
                    Ratings:
                    +883
                    ...so my guess is that she's had her litter, and was collecting material to make the hoglets more comfortable or secure. Still might be wrong though... can't be sure unless hoglets emerge from under the shed. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
                    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +2,424
                      @Tui34 if all else fails i have a Kindle and a subscription to Kindle Unlimited which lets me "borrow" 10 books at a time for as long as I want. I can choose to buy them and keep the download and I can also buy non subscription books at less than the printed price. I got my first when I had new feet in 2013 and the newer model shortly after the first knee. Very handy to have whilst waiting for appointments or travelling.

I think you're right @Liriodendron but you'll have to wait a while before you see any babies running about.

@redstar there was an incident last week in which a disturbed young man took a knife to a summer activity and killed 3 girls and injured more, inclduing 2 adults. Troublemakers, at home and abroad, seized on this to publish misinformation online to blame it on a fictitious Muslim immigrant and thus fomented the riots which are breaking out in various places. It's not unlike what happened when Trump lost the election and incited rioting in Washington and elsewhere.

It's unsettling and unreasonable and distressing for those whose property and livelihoods have been damaged but there is also a great deal of community spirit with normal people gathering to help with the clean up and provide food and other support to those affected.

• Like Like x 4
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,363
                        I came across this topper yesterday, and forgot to post it up.
                        IMG_20240807_140714716_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 7
                        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                          Ratings:
                          +5,939
                          • Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                            Ratings:
                            +5,939
                            @Liriodendron, I was so pleased to see the pictures of your Mrs Tiggywinkle (?) and to read all about the comings and goings. It would be lovely if there were some little hoglets under your shed. Waiting further news now :smile:

• Like Like x 2