Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,359
    Just done my morning Wordle, and got it in one.
    What a fluke!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
      Ratings:
      +5,931
      Well done @RowlandsCastle! :star: Yesterday I got mine in two which the quickest I have been. You might be lucky with some rain today. crossed-fingers_light-skin-tone_1f91e-1f3fb_1f3fb.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,128
        Wow @RowlandsCastle!
        I've only done that once. It was maize and I'd just been harvesting my sweetcorn. Nearly didn't put it because of the z. Funny thing is my statistics say I've got it in one twice, when I haven't! I wish there was a Wordle thread here. It just doesn't work.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • LG_

LG_ Gardener

Ratings:
          +351
          No castles round here... unless you count Elephant & Castle!

Thank you for the water butt suggestion @Ladybird4 but I've already got 3 compost bins (2 square wooden contraptions and a hotbin) plus I collect leaves in a builder's bag held up in a cube of pallets. No more room really! I might have to accept that it's got to go.

Good luck to your grandson @lizzie27 - I'm sure he'll cope with the new college. Good to start to make that transition before going off to the freedoms of university life I think.

Well I thought I had a day to myself yesterday but in the end I only had the morning, and I ended up choosing to spend that doing stuff related to Trill's move - silly me. I did manage to grab a couple of hours in the garden in the late afternoon. These cooler temperatures suit me very well, but I'm hoping they don't stall my vegetables too much as they were so late to get going this year - they've barely started really.

@Liriodendron the main choir that's singing at this Prom needed a few extra people and as she's been attending a related institution she got the chance to apply to do it - which she jumped at! She's now joined another choir which does the Proms every year, so it might become a habit (fingers crossed). This year they did Verdi's Requiem.

Hope you've coped okay with the early mornings @AuntyRach and can get a rest soon. Sounds like you've been having a lovely social time @Ergates - I'm intrigued by the micro mattock. Is that smaller than a mini mattock or the same thing? Any news from @Obelix-Vendée ?

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
            Ratings:
            +5,931
            I was looking through my documents and came across this. I apologise for the length but am hoping this might bring a smile to all your faces today:

GOD AND LAWN CARE

I think you will chuckle as you read this because as stupid as it may sound, this is exactly what we do!
            God to St. Francis: Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, daisies and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colours by now but all I see are these green rectangles.
            St. Francis: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.
            God: Grass? But, it's so boring. It's not colourful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees; only grubs and worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?
            St. Francis: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.
            God: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.
            St. Francis: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it - sometimes twice a week.
            God: They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?
            St: Francis: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.
            God: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?
            St. Francis: No, Lord, just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.
            God: Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And, when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?
            St. Francis: Yes, Lord.
            God: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.
            St. Francis: You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it, so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.
            God: What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn, they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. It's a natural cycle of life.
            St. Francis: You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new cycle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.
            God: No! What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter to keep the soil moist and loose?
            St. Francis: After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.
            God: And where do they get this mulch?
            St. Francis: They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.
            God: I have heard it all!

• Funny Funny x 8
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
              Ratings:
              +1,460
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +1,194
                Morning all, from a rather damp Devon. Rained heavily last night, and very blowy this morning, with some really ominous clouds.
                I’m sure when I bought my original, it was described as a mini mattock! The new one was listed as a micro mattock, but it’s the same size as my old one! Haven’t used it in anger yet, but so pleased to have it ready, it’s perfect for attacking bramble roots, especially in confined spaces.
                If I don’t get outside today, I must do some sewing. Many of my shirts are roomy enough to go on over my head, so I don’t need to use the buttons. I’ve just noticed that the one I have on keeps undoing at the point of maximum stress! It can’t come completely open as I have a safety pin in the back, but I might as well just sew it closed! I also have a rather lovely red cotton kimono (made in Japan) I’ve had it for years but rarely wear it, as the big sleeves can be a right nuisance, dangling in the sink etc (although very handy for carrying tissues and the like)
                I’ve reluctantly decided to cut the sleeves back, shame to spoil the original concept, but I do have two others, and it would be better to get some wear out of it. And I can use the cut off bits to make pockets!
                IMG_1005.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
                • Funny Funny x 2
                • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +879
                  Good morning all!

Sun and showers here, 19C - could get a bit warm for me, so I'd better get a move on and go shopping.

Good for Trill, @LG_ - I sang at the Albert Hall once, a very long time ago, and it's a unique experience, I think. I don't know if they've improved the "backroom" facilities, but it was a bit like being in a rabbit warren, I remember, with - of course - insufficient women's loos...

Hedgehog update. The feeding station worked brilliantly on its first outing; no rats, and 724 photos (!) of an expanding hedgehog stuffing itself for about 2 hours. It rained heavily but the food remained dry, which is great.

• Like Like x 5
                  • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                    Ratings:
                    +5,931
                    Super update @Liriodendron and happy news about the greedy hedgehog. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                      Ratings:
                      +5,931
                      Great picture @Ergates and the fire exit sign did make me smile with all that wonderful space in the background. Thank you for sharing it.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +812
                        Yesterday was the usual manic Monday and by the time the G'kids left, I was done in. I slept 12 hours!
                        @Bluejayway the castle on page 384 is Flint. Not dissimilar to Rhuddlan.
                        Good hoggy news, @Liriodendron
                        Is someone taking the whatsit with that sign? Elf 'n safety gone bonkers.
                        How fantastic for Trill @LG_ . I can understand how she got her name. I can't sing a note!

• Like Like x 4
                        • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +1,460
                          Thanks @Penny_Forthem , not a castle I've visited as yet. It's on the list!:)

• Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                            Ratings:
                            +11,493
                            Tuesday, 844Am here.
                            @Ladybird4 , sad to read the long story. But guess some folks do all that, what a shame. Over here on my 3 acres the lawn has violets and moss in spots, and some interesting low growing who knows what, and grass. Don't bag anything, so no cost of hauling away. Have to rake the deep leaves off the grass in November, or the "lawn will totally go away to nothing" as the leaves will kill it. Those leaves go to the 10 acre woods behind us and the boat load of branches and limbs that fall from the 20 trees which are 180 foot tall in just our front property go to the burn pile. The back part lawn treated the same way. All plant/flower beds are left with leaves till January, so the early bulbs can actually show themselves and not get crippled by the 7 inches of leaves packed on them from the trees.
                            So I ask myself, why I am not skinny. SMH.

Have a grand day all, 5 more sleeps here.

• Like Like x 3
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +3,128
                              Beautiful view @Ergates but the sign made me laugh. Is that the sea in the distance?

Well done Trill, @LG_ OH sings but his choir never recovered from the after effects of Covid. A few years ago they sang in Carnegie Hall in New York. He's sung at a concert in Ely Cathedral too.

The dishwasher man has taken the dishwasher to the repair workshop. May not get it back for 2 weeks.

We've been stacking logs - again. Done most of it but my arthritic hands need a break.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Informative Informative x 1
                              • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +1,194
                                I should have edited the picture before I posted it! The fire exit sign is actually not that daft! I was sitting at a table by the window of the restaurant at The Donkey Sanctuary. It overlooks the raised outdoor decking where there are tables and benches, and leads out from one of the doors which acts as a fire exit. There is a bit of a drop beyond the balustrade.
                                Yes, that is the sea on the horizon. There were a few drops of rain, but by the time we had finished our coffee, and squabbled over who was having the bigger ‘half’ of the pastry, the sun had come out and the clouds had blown away. We had an hour and a half walk in the sunshine.

Back home, and the full green bins are out for collection in the morning. The wind had knocked some of my pots over, which reminded me of a funny occurrence. I had bought some pot plants and put them in the back of the car. Left OH for a few minutes, and came back to find him looking a bit shocked. He told me that a young man had just walked past with really bad body odour, (must have pretty bad for OH to notice!) It wasn’t till we got home and I unloaded the salvias I had bought, that I realised the truth! What reminded me of that, is that two of the pots blown over have salvias in. I got too near as I picked them up, so the shirt I was wearing will have to go into the wash asap!

• Funny Funny x 3
                                • Like Like x 1