Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Our green bins are filling up quickly, still a week to go. @RowlandsCastle, aren’t your bins being collected a day later, due to the bank holiday? Ours always are.
    Still loafing about, when I should be heading out to the garden. Managed to get a Rosa rugosa planted yesterday, probably in an unsuitable place, but we shall see. I have a miniature pieris in a pot, which I always planned for that flower bed, and a ceanothus that could go there too. I’ll be able to see them all from the kitchen window. I’ve also bought a dwarf alstroemeria, red flowers and dark green leaves. Slightly worried to see some slug pellets in the pot. I hope that doesn’t mean it is prone to being eaten. My nightly trips out into the garden with the fox / badger supper have been like heading through a minefield! I hadn’t realised there was such a variety of colours of slugs. Saw a huge yellow one last night, plus quite a few sleek black ones, as well as the usual pale variety and plenty of the striped ones. Mainly on the concrete paths.
    We are hiding at home over the bank holiday, although the weather doesn’t look that pleasant out. Sunny spells so far, but mainly dull and overcast. Usual reports of jams and accidents on the main roads.

• Like Like x 5
    • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,156
      Morning all.

Re garden birds - I noticed dozens of little birds flitting about, mainly blue tits, yesterday morning and I wondered what they were up too. Feeding frenzy? Late fledge? Disturbed by cats/hedge trimmers?

We always stay at home on BH. I would have worked (extra pay on BH) if not on leave.

It’s clouded over here, just as the washing ready to hang out, but supposed to be dry with sunny spells…

@Badly_Maintained - you are a kind soul. Very sad and difficult circumstances you describe.

Have a lovely day all - whatever you are doing.

• Like Like x 6
      • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +800
        Yes, I thin we did @Ladybird4

I didn't do any weeding this morning as I thought that it might not be prudent as the pain is quite bad. I decided to stuff some tomatoes and peppers and will freeze some for when I come out of the hospital. I've cleaned up the kitchen and made a carrot salad and a green salad with cucumber - the end that is not bitter - and my watercress is growing well. So it is delicious.

Don't worry @RowlandsCastle Your wife won't be able to bring any plants back from France - in fact now that Brexit is in force, I don't think she will be able to bring anything much back except some nice wine.

Do you make fig chutney or fig jam @Obelix-Vendée ? I love a dollop of fig chutney with my duck breast or foie gras. Even nice atop a slice of goat's cheese on a toastie for aperitive snacks.

I am reading Elizabeth Bard's Picnic in Provence for summer light reading. It's rather funny as she depicts quite a colourful view of France and the system.

Enjoy your afternoon everyone - I know I will!!

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,385
          No @Tui34 my experience of fig jam is that it's far too sweet for me. I prefer onion or chicon "jams" for savouries.

I remember reading A Year in Provence years ago and then read that it had been translated into French and the neighbours the author described as ignorant peasants with odd ways were not best pleased so he had to move.

Sorry your pain is so bad but not many days and sleeps left till you get fixed. I managed to trip on an unseen lumpy bit in the garden yesterday and my right knee is now complaining so I shall be carrying on with my physio sessions for at least another month or so.

No green waste collections here @RowlandsCastle and @Ergates. We have assorted heaps here and there for composting, munching or insect etc habitats.

Right. I've cut out my "stained glass" and placed it. Now to cut out the "lead" strips and start the stitching. Have to take photos as I go as it's for a workshop next spring but needs to be displayed this weekend at the Forum des Associations. Window shopping for people seeking clubs and activities to join.

• Like Like x 5
            Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
          • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
            Ratings:
            +809
            I am learning so much about French ways. I had to Google Trouspinette.
            We have done our Sloe patrol of all our known Sloe (blackthorn) bushes and there are none to be had this year. We usually pick them late October, to make Sloe gin for the following Christmas. We have last year's, but there'll be none for 2025.
            I'm sure we'll survive!
            We go home later, avoiding main roads. We have a poorly dog, so a visit to the vet will be in order tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Badly_Maintained

Badly_Maintained Inept know-nothing gardener

Early retiree & (unofficial) carer for my Parents.
              Ratings:
              +430
              Good afternoon ladies & gentlemen,

Thank-you for your very, very kind words @Ladybird4 , @Obelix-Vendée , @Blue arbour , @Penny_Forthem , @Busy-Lizzie & @AuntyRach .

Hung the washing out early, but after two showers I admitted defeat and put it in the dryer. I've cleared away the mortal remains of my (formerly rampant) Shirley poppies. The things still flowering today are as follows: corn marigolds, cosmos, French marigolds, forget-me-nots, toadflax, something which looks very like a pot marigold, viper's bugloss and finally something with pink large-petalled flowers which I can't identify at all, which I am including two photos of below. (If anyone can identify it, I would be most grateful.)
              IMG_4027.JPG IMG_4034.JPG

I hope all goes well with sewing the new wall hanging @Obelix-Vendée , it would be wonderful to see a few photos of the finished article.

Speaking of photos, thank-you for all the wonderful hedgehog and hoglet photos @Liriodendron , and thank-you for the photos of your beautiful spaniels @Penny_Forthem and also your excellent photos from the flower show @Ladybird4 , and also your lovely lake photos @Busy-Lizzie .

Wishing everyone in the UK has a wonderful Bank Holiday today, hope the weather gods smile for you!:hotsun:

• Like Like x 6
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,353
                @Ergates
                It seems that our council still collects waste on a bank holiday. Or at least, this one!!
                Just as well, I'm rapidly filling it up again, although the remainder of the tree I started work on the other day (and removed entirely from its location this morning), I'll saw up and offer on Facebook Marketplace (actually, my wife will, since I don't have an account).
                I miss the weekly garden waste collection service. At this time of year, fortnightly is not enough.

• Like Like x 3
                • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
                  Ratings:
                  +5,917
                  Interesting you saying that about your bin collection @Ergates as that is the pattern usually followed by my binmen - i.e. coming a day later in a week with a bank holiday. However, I checked the calendar I was given and it seems that the bin will be emptied on my normal day which is Thursday.
                  @Badly_Maintained, I think your pretty pink plant is a Stock.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
                    Ratings:
                    +5,917
                    @Penny_Forthem, I do hope that your dog is not too poorly and that tomorrow's visit helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • floralies

floralies Gardener

Retired.
                      Ratings:
                      +418
                      Hello all, I hope you are enjoying your BH and the weather is being kind. It's hot again here but there is a cool breeze.
                      I've been picking tomatoes and courgettes, also plenty of aubergines. I have ripe melons to give away to neighbours!
                      @Tui34 I used to make a fig chutney many years ago, sadly we had to get rid of the tree due to it's roots damaging the drainage system! I will see if I can find the recipe, it was very tasty!

• Like Like x 3
                      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,353
                        My wife found out why one of our water butts was not filling. The horizontal feed pipe from the roof had parted along its run.
                        She noticed because she heard the dripping whilst it was raining this morning. My ears aren't so sensitive!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Useful Useful x 1
                        • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +800
                          Would love the recipe @floralies I have one that I use that has crystallised ginger in it. Does yours?

I read Mayle's book too about 30 odd years ago and saw the TV series. He was very critical of the tradies here which made me wonder if they had ever restored a property in the UK? I think every country in the world has a "hostage" problem when waiting for the tradesmen to turn up!!! Bard's book is more about their young family settling in (her husband is French) and unlike many "rich" people that buy in Provence, they seem pretty modest in comparison. My French husband enjoyed the TV series very much! He also loved 'Allo 'Allo which had fabulous French subtitles with a german accent (for the Germans) such as fous for vous! The Good Moaning french policeman was very well translated into French!

I hope your wee doggie is okay @Penny_Forthem

@Badly_Maintained If those pink flowers have a heady scent, they could well be Virginia Stock. I have yet to find seeds for them here - the translation keeps coming up as Wallflowers.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +800
                            PS @Obelix-Vendée I made Walnut Wine one year after a neighbour gave me a quantity of the whole green nuts still in their pouch. It turned out very nice. Unfortunately now the chemist is not allowed to sell alcohol (eau-de-vie) over the counter. Once upon a time you used to be able to buy it by the 5 litre container!! You'd be lucky to get 250ml - signed for --- if you needed a rub!! The alcohol was also used to preserve clementines. I also did prunes and dates and walnuts in it. All these are digestives for Christmas of course!! (with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream)

• Like Like x 3
                            • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +1,192
                              You’ve had me worried there, re the bin collection! Just checked the council website, and the recycling will be picked up a day late, because of the bank holiday. Won’t affect the rubbish or green bins, as they won’t be till next week.
                              Today, I have planted four more plants, a ceonothus, another Rosa rugosa, a dwarf pieris and one Ive forgotten the name of, and haven’t the energy to go out and look! And I trimmed the edge of the lawn, so it looks a lot tidier. Feeling very virtuous! Will cook some lunch shortly. Chicken Kyiv, courtesy of a meal deal! Ran out of steam before I could put some laundry in the machine, so that’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Badly_Maintained

Badly_Maintained Inept know-nothing gardener

Early retiree & (unofficial) carer for my Parents.
                                Ratings:
                                +430
                                • Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1