Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    Good evening all. Had a good time at my Bestie's even though she is surrounded by builders at the moment having a wet room extension built on the side of her house. They had only just started the job the last time I had my hair done, which was 5 weeks ago so I had to put up with a bit of banter. It was all good fun. Got the smug face on here because I managed to get a wash load done when I got home. Just brought it all in - just in case - and it is all almost dry.
    Super pictures @RowlandsCastle, thank you for sharing.
    @Obelix-Vendée, I used to show my pupils how corrosive CC could be by leaving teeth - obtained from my dentist - soaking in it from one lesson to the next and the children would be horrified at the amount of tooth that was 'eaten' away by the acid CC.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
      Ratings:
      +5,904
      I am going to sign out now - watching the wheelchair rugby. It can be a bit brutal! See you all tomorrow.
      upload_2024-8-29_21-14-59.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
        Ratings:
        +5,904
        Friday.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +796
          Good morning all!

Another beautiful morning!! But we are still getting hot hot weather and hot muggy nights!!

0BC022B4-955C-41FC-8447-9D4F24531B26.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
            Ratings:
            +5,904
            Good morning everyone. It is looking promising out there today. This morning I am visiting my friend who has a heritage orchard of apples and pears. He had the land that he let rescued trees from ancient orchards be planted on. There are a group of scientists who DNA test the trees and catalogue the results to trace their heritage. Where necessary they use grafting to perpetuate species. It is all very interesting. He did tell me to bring a bag! People from Astley Hall near Chorley come to collect the bulk of the crop and they use the apples to make cider.

• Like Like x 5
            • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,385
              Good morning. Cloudy and a teeny bit damp here this morning but clearing up now. i've been busy packing up all the gear - info sheets and exhibits - for our stint at the Forum this weekend. Just about to shower and go.

More coffee first tho. Cosmos pussy had a very busy night and was in and out wanting cuddles and play so I haven't slept well. He doesn't bother attacking OH's feet till about 7am bless him.

Sounds like you have a lovely day lined up @Ladybird4 . There's a horticultural college just the other side of Luçon that has an orchard of heritage French apples and sells trees and apples in autumn. I was considering planting some till I came across a nursery run by a Scottish family who had de-camped their nursery in Scotland to the Deux-S§vres just before Brexit. I got their last Bramley Seedling and Cox's OP. No French apple does what a Bramley does and I haven't seen any Cox'sOP since Brexit despite their being grown in France when I bought them before.

I hope your muggy nights end soon @Tui34. Not good for sleeping well.

Have a lovely day everyone, whatever you're doing/planning/playing at.

• Like Like x 4
              • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +3,120
                Good morning all.

I planted a Cox apple tree at my last house in Dordogne @Obelix-Vendée . It never thrived and eventually died, despite watering it. I think Dordogne summers were just too hot for it.

It tipped with rain in the night.

I saw a red squirrel this morning under the hazelnut tree. Most of the nuts are empty this year. I think it was too wet for good pollination. I hope it finds something.

The last load of logs should arrive today. I really don't feel like stacking them.

• Like Like x 3
                • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
                  Ratings:
                  +975
                  Morning all,
                  A lovely fine day. It’s clouding up a bit more now, but it’s meant to stay dry.
                  Hope you get lots of apples @Ladybird4 .

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,155
                    Good Morning all.

It’s a lovely calm and clear day here. I’m taking Dad to an appointment this afternoon - my sis will drive and I’ll do the taking in to the clinic etc.

I notice that some of my Acers take on a late summer colour change which is not their Autumn glory but a subtle change. My large purple/red Acer starts turning a bit more green in August, way before the change to bright red and then orange.

I hope Friday is good to us all.

• Like Like x 4
                    • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +879
                      Good morning! I so need to cut the "lawn" (knee-high flowering weeds), and today is promised dry. However, it was a cold night (5.6C) and there was a heavy dew, followed now by thick mist (because of our proximity to a big lake, I guess). The sun is trying to break through, so hopefully it'll be dry enough to give it a go this afternoon.

Your morning sounds really interesting, @Ladybird4 . I planted two Irish heritage apple varieties when we arrived here, plus a locally-collected crab apple, all produced by the local Irish Seed Savers who are a mile up the road from me. They are growing well, though it's a bit early to assess the quality of the fruit. Seed Savers do a great job, propagating and promoting old, mainly Irish, varieties of fruit and veg. It's good to hear of people in other countries doing similarly - such an important job for genetic diversity and food security.

Hedgehog update... Mark 3 hedgehog feeder (with offset internal partition) was no match for the ninja feral cat. I think it must be made of rubber... the wildlife camera captured a photo of the cat scoffing the food while the hedgehog waited outside the box! Then once the cat had left, the hedgehog came in and had a sniff round the empty dish. So last night, Mark 4 went out: box as before, with internal partition, but with a "moat" in front of the entrance (an old swiss roll tin full of water, held in place with tent pegs so it couldn't move). The idea is that the cat has to wriggle into the feeder on its belly, and that cats hate getting their bellies wet. Result: no cat last night. But nothing else, either... I'll try it again tonight, but I'm not sure I can think of anything else to do.

Sun's getting stronger. I think I'll do some wet weeding while I wait for the grass to dry.

• Like Like x 4
                      • Informative Informative x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,347
                        Despite enjoying the trip to Rochester Castle yesterday, I breathe a sigh of relief at being able to return to this view, a short walk from home.
                        Screenshot_20240830-111937.png

• Like Like x 7
                        • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +3,120
                          Chimney sweep came, done the 2 chimneys. I've had to dust afterwards but it was much cleaner than last time.

Log man came, I've started stacking.

Phone rang. Now having coffee.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Informative Informative x 1
                          • LG_

LG_ Gardener

Ratings:
                            +351
                            Afternoon all.
                            It's been a while since I posted and although I've looked in occasionally, I'm not really caught up. Good to hear of all the hedgehog efforts though @Liriodendron :) Hope everyone else is well and tootling along OK.
                            The Prom went really well and had lots of good reviews, Trill had a great time. Impossible to see them, whether in the Albert Hall in person or on TV - they were, as per the composer's instructions, in 'an adjoining room' and up at gallery level. All good though.
                            I've been doing pruning up a high ladder, jetwashing and other 'once a year' jobs this week pretty full on (plus volunteering, visiting uncle etc) - and now my new waterbutt has arrived, so I'd best get out there again.
                            Have a good weekend all.

• Like Like x 7
                            • Badly_Maintained

Badly_Maintained Inept know-nothing gardener

Early retiree & (unofficial) carer for my Parents.
                              Ratings:
                              +430
                              Good afternoon ladies & gentlemen.

Thank-you for your very kind words @lizzie27 , @Liriodendron & @Penny_Forthem .

The Step-Brother lives on the South coast, but I intend to be in regular phone contact with him, and if he needs to "call out the cavalry", I will come running.

Belated wishes for a very Happy Anniversary to @Topbird .

Very impressive castle @RowlandsCastle . Nicest I've seen for some time, thank-you for sharing the photos.

Your friend with the heritage orchard sounds like a wonderful person to know @Ladybird4 . Eat an apple for me please (apples are one of two my favourite foods).

A pleasantly sunny morning with light winds, so I went for a walk on the coastal path.
                              The sea yesterday morning:
                              IMG_4040.JPG
                              The sea this morning:
                              IMG_4029.JPG

Best wishes to all as always.

• Like Like x 8
                              • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +796
                                Afternoon all!!

Hot and windy now. Been busy trying to "organise" my stay in the clinic and tidied out the freezer this morning, noting where each packet or plastic container is. I try and keep a shelf for a specific purpose i.e. fish, vegetables, meat.... Cleaned the windows (where I can see out of!!) and tidied another weedy garden.

Lovely photos @Badly_Maintained I think once school is back and a routine established, the little family will flourish in their new surroundings. Meal times and washing are the biggest burden. Would some of the older ones be able to handle at least the folding and putting away of washing?

Sleeping badly anyway @Obelix-Vendée Hot or not. I wake up in the night in agony because of the position I am in. So hard to turn over! Oh well. Another kind of pain next week but hopefully, not for long. I remember punkdoc saying "oh the pain!!" after his op. It's my second hip op so forearmed is forewarned. But I am so tired!

That's a nice photo of the sunflowers @RowlandsCastle They put green nets over the fields of them here as the birds just demolish them.

Enjoy the apple day out @Ladybird4 !! Apple crumble, apple shortcake, stewed apple for the freezer, I'll bet!!

• Like Like x 3