Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    @Penny_Forthem that doodle is spectacular heart.png
    @lizzie27 well done on spotting the scam attempt. As for the mince pie appearance Hell no.gif

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
      Ratings:
      +5,904
      Off to watch GW now so I'll bid you a a good night. See you tomorrow everyone.
      Sorry I have plants.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,347
        @lizzie27
        I once was having problems with seeing properly, due to a mix-up in my meds. I lost my rag with the electricity supplier on one occasion, saying I couldn't read their small print.
        Now I receive post from them with very large print, and the statement "DOCUMENTS FOR THE BLIND" stamped across all the envelopes. If I really was blind, it would still be absolutely no good at all.
        It makes my wife smile - which only goes to prove SHE can read it. I'm obviously the blind old man!!

• Funny Funny x 6
        • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
          Ratings:
          +5,904
          upload_2024-8-31_6-40-15.gif
          Good morning everyone. Its looking very promising outside today. After seeing Monty last night starting his bulb planting I think I might make a start on that today. Fingers crossed the day stays sunny.

• Like Like x 4
          • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
            Ratings:
            +975
            Good morning all,

Another beautiful, if slightly chilly, start to the day. The sky is a delicate blue today, with, as yet, no cloud to spoil it.

I’ve skimmed through the posts after mine and note some beautiful pictures of the sea, a castle, apples and a dog sketch (wonderful, very talented of you @Penny_Forthem).

I can hardly believe we’ve come to the last day of August, and that summer is nearly over. I’m hoping for an Indian summer :fingers crossed:.

I, too, have some bulbs to plant, but may wait a couple more weeks before doing them. They are to go in a pot to sit by the front door to bring a bit of welcome cheer come the spring.

Those scammers never give up trying, do they? I’m glad you spotted it @lizzie27 and was able to get reassurance from your bank that all was well. They really are the scum of the earth.

I have also seen mince pies, along with “tins” (plastic tubs really) of sweets in the local SM. The local garden centre was also starting to unpack lots of decorations, so no doubt next time we go, the floor space will be covered with them :sad:. What has happened to seasonality?

Anyway, moan over. Wishing everyone a good Saturday.

• Like Like x 5
            • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,155
              Good Morning all.

Having coffee with some busy bees enjoying my Myrtle, which is just coming into flower.

I haven’t watched GW yet but bulb planting is on my list for next week. I might try some tulips as don’t have any atm and will definitely be doing Aliums again.

Have a smashing weekend folks.

• Like Like x 4
              • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
                Ratings:
                +879
                Good morning everyone.

Cold, dewy and sunny this morning. Managed to cut the front "lawns" yesterday afternoon once they'd dried a bit - a relief, it was 4 weeks since we'd been able to tackle them. Now the compost bin is full to the top, and I've had to start putting grass into a dumpy sack as an overflow. Mowing the back grass, and the paths through the meadow bit, will be this afternoon's job, if the weather holds.

Well done, @lizzie27 , spotting the scammer. They keep trying new techniques! I find the Which? scam alert service very useful - you can sign up for email alerts, and I still get them even though I'm no longer a member.

Mark 4 hedgehog feeder has still had no takers, of any species. I might uncover the dish tonight, and accept that the rat might get the scent before the little hedgehog does. This might be the last attempt for a while, though, if the rat does get in first.

I need to buy a bulb planter before my order from Farmer Gracy is delivered... I liked the look of Monty's one, but I expect it costs a bomb!

• Like Like x 5
                • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +2,385
                  Hello everyone. Haven't seen GW yet as I was shattered and went to bed earlier than usual after doing a few admin jobs. Long day at the Forum yesterday - 165 clubs and associations "selling" their wares and touting for new members with displays, exhibits, demos etc. Maddeningly, we have to set up our stuff by midday and then disappear till it opens at 3pm.

I live 42 kms away so what am I supposed to do for 3 hours? Go to lunch!! OH drove me there and we went to a restaurant attached to a shellfish and crustaceans merchant and I had lobster. Yum! Then 4 hours on the stand and home for simple pasta. More of the same today but I'm doing the last 3 hours up to 5pm and then dismantling.

Sunny here and set to get to 28C with the thundery rain postponed till this evening so I've been watering pots and recent plantings and have the sprinkler on the rose beds on the grounds that if it doesn't rain after all I'll need the sprinkler to water the nursery.

@Blue arbour I suspect there are more profits in Xmas than seasonal autumn plantings but that does mean we gardeners can sometimes get bargains in composts and plants as they clear the space for C displays.

@Ladybird4 your day sounds very satisfying. Love apples. @Busy-Lizzie I've just done the twist test on the biggest Bramley and it's not ready yet. I don't get the depth of frost you do and have been careful with watering so hope the smaller Cox and Braeburn will settle well. They did flower quite well but it was a bit too wet for the pollinators I think and we had a late frost too.

@Penny_Forthem that is a gorgeus doggy doodle. Love it.

@Ergates I know exactly how you feel. We always end up having a blitz before guests come and it can be knackering. Next lot will be in October so another month before I need to tackle all the windows........

Have a lovely "last day of summer" everyone. Those weather people really don't know do they?
                  I fully expect some decent weather over the next 2 or 3 weeks if not longer.

• Like Like x 3
                    Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
                  • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +796
                    Good morning everyone!

A wee bit of wind today but sunny and warm here.

0A08EDB5-C579-4C33-90DD-779B0AEF9EC8.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • RowlandsCastle

Ratings:
                      +3,347
                      Having lunch with family, and wife mentions that we got rid of a certain place mat before we moved. I'm certain I've seen it, but, knowing my memory, . . . . . . !!
                      A quick rummage while she is elsewhere, and, hey presto, I'm so pleased to have found it.
                      :biggrin:
                      A restaurant we used to like.
                      IMG_20240831_151757839.jpg

We asked for one of their place mats, and they found us an old one.
                      Memories!!

• Like Like x 6
                      • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,155
                        That’s awesome @RowlandsCastle. But is the food better there or at yours??

Just checked on my wild area at the bottom of the garden. It has certainly gone wild! To the untrained eye - a weedy, tangled mess (of course we all know it’s a wildlife haven definitely done on purpose ;) ). Brambles are thick as broom handles in places mind! I’ve neglected that area this year and my punishment is bramble scrams all over. At least the wildlife would have enjoyed the patch.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • RowlandsCastle

Ratings:
                          +3,347
                          Oh, definitely better there!!:biggrin:. But don't tell the chef here!!

• Funny Funny x 5
                          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                            Ratings:
                            +5,904
                            Good afternoon everyone. I really do not know where today has gone. I've been working in the garden and GH and time has just flown. Needless to say I have not - as yet - got around to bulb planting. Tomorrow perhaps.
                            Curious about the hedgehog feeding station @Liriodendron. I'll await any further news with interest. I have two bulb planters, one is just a short hand held one which is useful for planters and the other is like Monty's though not quite as posh. It is made by a firm called Joseph Bentley. It is very easy to use as you just stand on its special 'lip' and push down with your foot. I also use these for making the holes for planting out young plants in 9cm pots as they are just the right size.
                            Goodness @Obelix-Vendée, no wonder you are shattered with all that exhibition preparation and then having to kill 3 hours of time before 'delivering'. After yesterday's heat (which was probably our summer!) I did a lot of watering first thing this morning. I may have to repeat that activity tomorrow.
                            Liking your place mat @RowlandsCastle! :smile:
                            @AuntyRach, you have a kindred spirit here. I have a lovely 'wild' area in my garden and don't talk to me about brambles! Last year I nearly had my left ear torn off by one I was having a wrestle with.

• Like Like x 4
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +2,385
                              Another busy day but I can flop tomorrow, for a while at least. Possum may want a furniture painting lesson but is not a lark so I'll get a lie-in.

Turned out hot and muggy this pm and still is. The rain and thunder have been put back to 2am now and tomorrow should be showery but I don't believe it so have been watering again since I got back. Lots of interest this afternoon at the stand and some good chat with colleagues and visitors so it's fun and, I hope, will be worth it.

No sewing for me for a while now as I have gardening plans weeding, planting, marking out a new rose bed and my new levelled and partially paved area beyond the terrace.

@AuntyRach we too have brambles in a deliberate wild area, along the boundary wih the unfirendly neighbour and, blast them, in all but one of my big beds. I need lots of rain and then OH muscles to deal with those blighters!

I hope your new feeding station ideas work @Liriodendron . Your namesake is growing slowly and looking bonny this year but still no flowers!

• Like Like x 4
                              • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +1,397
                                Evening everybody, our day started out sunny and warm then gradually turned cloudier and cloudier. Thunderstorms and heavy rain forecast for tomorrow just when we've planned a picnic lunch with our car club at a garden over the border into Wales. Will have to check the weather before we go as I'm driving and I hate driving in storms.
                                I've just been pottering about today, washed the new bedlinen, did some ironing and then played in the garden, repotting a Christmas Box and some helleborus.

A fasting day for me so now getting rather hungry! We're allowed scrambled eggs with smoked salmon for dinner.

Enjoy your evening all.

• Like Like x 4