Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    How is your weight loss going @lizzie27?
    I am going to sign out for today you lovely people. See you around tomorrow some time.
    I was going to clean.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
      Ratings:
      +809
      With you on that one @Ladybird4
      You know the song, 'Busy doing nothing, working the whole day through'?
      That's me.
      We have been looking for a new kitchen bin for a while and we saw one in Lidl on Thursday. A quick measure up saw it would fit, so we went back for it today (and struck lucky with more from their Italian week). It has a child/dog proof lid :doggieshmooze:
      We had occasion to wash our old dog today, as she had had an accident. In the washing, I also got soaked. I think my dear husband quite enjoyed the whole experience - mainly because he stayed dry. He was the washer, I was the dog holder.
      We also have a wild garden area.

• Like Like x 6
      • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
        Ratings:
        +354
        Good evening all, it was my turn at the eye clinic yesterday. I have somewhat mixed feelings, because my condition is stable, (positive) they sent me to a different clinic, all very modern and efficient, much quicker than usual (also positive) , but, only technicians all tests and exams buy machine, NO Doctors , all results get reviewed later. All fine if things haven't changed but presumably if there is anything that needs follow-up then it means another appointment, with more delays if anything needs doing.

• Informative Informative x 4
        • Like Like x 2
        • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
          Ratings:
          +354
          Me again, I seem to have lost the second part of my post.
          We have been on a marathon clean up of the green wall. Several troughs had silted up so I took everything out and had a good clean up. They come in sets of 3, 11 rows of 3×3 so 99 in all. My wife is in charge of tidying up all the plants, we me repotting any extreme cases. It's nearly 5 years since we first set it up so I guess it's done OK.
          20191112_095053_IMG_0607.JPG 20190430_100343_IMG_0519.JPG

• Like Like x 7
          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
            Ratings:
            +5,904
            upload_2024-9-1_6-39-5.png
            White rabbits everyone! Pinch and a punch for the first of the month. It was only when I went to change the date on my perpetual calendar that I realised that I had gone through the whole of August with the month of July showing. Twonk!
            Your pictures are lovely @Allotment Boy. Thank you for sharing.

• Like Like x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +11,493
              Yes, folks, I am alive. We finished roaming about in Boston, and Salam, Mass. Stayed in Maine, Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park. Tomorrow leave for St. John New Brunswick, Canada. Monday Ferry to Digby, Nova Scotia. Later.

• Like Like x 7
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,385
                Good morning @Ladybird and all to come. We've had rain! Thunder and co at 1am so almost as predicted and not as heavy but welcome none the less tho we do need much more to make those weeds easier to pull or fork out.

Haven't seen your green wall before @Allotment Boy . Impressive and lovely textures too. Our eye man has all the tests done by technicians - all very efficient - but then we get seen straight after to discuss results and any further treatment. I hope you don't have a long to wait and all is well.

A bit brief for a long trip @redstar! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

• Like Like x 4
                • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +3,120
                  Good morning all.

We had a thunder storm too @Obelix-Vendée, it woke me up. Heavy rain battered on the roof and the landing skylight. More of the same is forecast. I hope it will be cooler afterwards. I didn't sleep well last night, the bedroom felt hot and muggy. We had put the air conditioner away thinking that September would be cooler. It was 30C and cloudy last night when we had dinner on the patio at 7.30pm.

Crikey! That is a lot of pots @Allotment Boy! My first thought was what a lot of watering, but I see you have an automatic watering system.

You do get about @redstar. I hope you are having a good time.

• Like Like x 5
                  • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +2,385
                    Me too @Busy-Lizzie I went to bed just after 10pm as I was tired but was woken up with it battering the shutters. Not muggy today tho which is a blessing. We have Veluxes in my sewing room and a spare bedroom on the north side of the house and they get very noisy in rain.

Knowing we were expecting some rain, I took the butterfly nets off one of th ecabbage patches yesterday evening and that lets the chooks in too to deal with pests. These Leghorns aren't interested in the cabbages but like grubs whereas our brown speckled hens were brassica munching demons. Better go and check all is well.....

• Like Like x 4
                    • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,155
                      Good Morning all as we say hello to September. Meteorological Autumn maybe, but it can be a warm and pleasant month. See my weather stats on weather thread.

My gardener’s almanac notes that September is mellow, with a soft light and says “the arrival of Autumn is a time to enjoy rather than mourn” - so I intent to do just that. It’s a busy month for me - a few big work projects and an exam! I’ll be having a study week this week, but at least I’ll be home so I can potter between the rain showers and make a start on bulb planting etc.

Have a lovely Sunday all.

• Like Like x 6
                      • Badly_Maintained

Badly_Maintained Inept know-nothing gardener

Early retiree & (unofficial) carer for my Parents.
                        Ratings:
                        +430
                        Good afternoon ladies & gentlemen.

I hope you and your Daughter enjoy your time together @Ergates .

Very beautiful and impressive drawing @Penny_Forthem . You are highly talented.

I'm liking your orchard photos very much @Ladybird4 .

Extremely pleased to hear that you avoided that horrible attempted scam @lizzie27 . Good for you! Hopefully you will have a dry day today for your car club picnic.

Glad to hear all went well at the Forum @Obelix-Vendée . A long and tiring day for you nonetheless.

Stay safe on your travels, and have a great time @redstar .

I hope things cool down for you soon @Busy-Lizzie .

Yesterday, the farewell of August was a remarkably good day - blue skies, sunshine and a high of 20C. Nothing in August became it like the leaving (of) it. Today is cloudy, but still benign.

Ordered some "greater snowdrop" bulbs. The recommended thing seems to be to plant them "in the green" after they have finished flowering, but I did that with ordinary snowdrops and when the following Spring rolled around, the results were very disappointing (presumably due to my gross incompetence).:) So this time I am trying it this way instead.

Best wishes to all as always.

• Like Like x 5
                        • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +1,397
                          Evening all, got back home earlier in the middle of a thunder/lightening storm with torrential rain, fortunately just as we came off the motorway. Had to sit in the car outside the house waiting for a lull before we could dash inside. Very fortunate to have had mainly dry weather at our picnic lunch over in Wales. It was a beautiful garden, with grottoes and mature trees all round but unfortunately is going to close soon because the owner wants to retire. About 20 ish old Austins (1931 - 1939) turned up including one from London and one from Hampshire which is good going.

Hope the snowdrop bulbs do well for you @Badly_Maintained.

Is all the study online @AuntyRach? Good luck with the preparation.

We have Veluxes in our loft room and you're right, they are incredibly noisy in torrential rain. Hope it's a bit cooler today @Busy-Lizzie.

I'd better go and see what's for dinner.

• Like Like x 3
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +809
                            We have a Velux in our den. It faces east, where the least of our weather comes from.
                            We took the dogs into the hills for a soggy doggy walk. They didn't care in the least!
                            I have been in #domesticgoddess zone this weekend, making herb and berry vinegars, pickles, cherry brandy and prepping a batch of piccalilli to make tomorrow.
                            To think, when i was making chutneys/pickles for a living, I could do 3 or 4 large batches of different ones in a day, prep, cook, label and store them away. Took me a day today, to do one small one!
                            @AuntyRach good luck with exam prep.
                            Do report back on the snowdrops @Badly_Maintained
                            The garden gathering sounds most interesting @lizzie27
                            Monday is a usually very busy day, but we don't have the grandkids tomorrow, as it is their first day of school term and they have a timetable clash apparently. Anyway we are the casualties of it.
                            Going up to the den to watch Beethoven's pastoral at the proms. I've long promised myself I'd go in person.

• Like Like x 3
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                              Ratings:
                              +5,904
                              Good evening all. Well although I haven't had any thunderstorms here today I have had the mother and father of a rain storm. I think it was probably akin to yours @Obelix-Vendée, @Busy-Lizzie and @lizzie27. Cricket came in absolutely soaking and he didn't know which part of himself to lick dry first.
                              @AuntyRach - rather you than me preparing for an exam. I wish you good luck in your revision this week.
                              @Badly_Maintained, I think you do yourself an injustice. Snowdrops can be a bit temperamental. If they are still in the ground it is worthwhile just leaving them. I have planted a lot of snowdrops 'in the green' and have had similarly rather disappointing results the first season after planting but they started to look good in the second season. Remember also that squirrels and mice are rather partial to planted bulbs and may dig them up and eat them so keep a careful eye on your newly planted snowdrops if you have any of those little critters about.
                              @Penny_Forthem, the description of your busy pickling session has really made my mouth water! :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                                Ratings:
                                +5,904
                                I am signing out for tonight. I hope that @redstar is enjoying her lightning tours; that @Obelix-Vendée has had an interesting weekend at the forum; that @Penny_Forthem's soggy doggies are now fluffy wuffies and that you all have wonderful evenings.
                                upload_2024-9-1_19-55-39.jpeg

• Like Like x 1