Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,334
    Yeah!!!
    I finally got the code for the key box on the side of the house - and yes, there was a key inside.
    It was in a plastic bag, wrapped in kitchen roll - but very rusty. It did not fit the front door (useless, because there is an outer and inner door, both with locks). It doesn't fit the side entrance, or get one through the garage.
    I'm assuming it was left there from before the previous owner, because she never mentioned it.
    But I am satisfied to have resolved the issue.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,455
      Well done @RowlandsCastle , your persistance has paid off:yahoo:You can use the box yourself now if you need to!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,376
        Hello everyone. Busy day so far starting with physio this morning. I'd hoped to have stopped but the old, steep, stone stairways at the Palais des Papes in Avignon woke up a naughhty, moaning tendon in the newer knee. Only going once a week now tho as I've found a local exercise class that should help with the whole body. Need to keep fit and felxible for gardening and dancing.

Thence to the fabric and haberdashery store as I've decided I need to teach myself how to crochet granny squares for a patchwork (and the rest) club project next March. Youtube to the rescue. i've bought some cotton in shades of denim so it won't be the usual garish fare. Bought some fabric for a pair of trousers too.

After that I needed a pitstop and a cappuccino before tackling the Vietnamese store for supplies of ginger beer, ginger confit and large bottles of soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce and finally a raid on Carrefour as they're the only ones that stock cottage cheese and Philadelphia. treated OH to a bottle of decent Rioja.

It was Welsh rarebit day yesterday but we're having it tonight instead and I'm making some high protein soda bread with lots of seeds and cottage cheese instead of butermilk. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think I need a snoozle now before doing some more sorting out of cuboards - extra space in the kitchen now the gas bottle's gone! Induction hob is brilliant.

@Liriodendron glad you've had a hog, big or small.

Alpacas are lovely critters. Their llama cousins less so. I failed a BHS road riding test thanks to one that popped its head over a gate and spat at the horse I was riding and spooked it. This was at a stables we didn't know so horses and surroundings unknown too.

Fingers and toes crossed for @Tui34 and her op and Fizz too who will miss her.

Have a happy and/or productive afternoon, whateer you're all doing.

• Like Like x 3
        • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
          Ratings:
          +875
          We do have occasional sun today, @AuntyRach , but it's interspersed with showers (forecast still says no chance of rain, of course). A sunny windowsill might help. :smile:

@Penny_Forthem - "our" goldfinches have disappeared too. I wonder if they're out gleaning seed in the fields, because in other years they've done similarly, but returned en masse in the winter. Could be cats though... in this garden, magpies take a few goldfinches, which I suspect are not as quick at evading the magpies as other small birds seem to be.

• Like Like x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • RowlandsCastle

Ratings:
            +3,334
            Going to a protest outside my local council offices, as they are having an extraordinary planning meeting, tonight and tomorrow, to discuss the plans to build over 1600 new homes on fields around the village.

I will make my voice heard. Fancy thinking that they can build on prime agricultural land. We need our agricultural land, to help feed the people.

I wonder if it will make TV?

• Like Like x 3
            • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +1,390
              Morning everybody, I'm pleased because the scales showed more weight loss today. It's steadily coming off. I walked 3 1/2 miles this morning (don't scoff, that's quite far for me!) as I had a later dentist appointment in the village. No probs there either (except for the bill). Got to see the hygienist next week.

Just checked the weather forecast and goodness me, a couple of days of torrential rain apparently. That will be fun for the chappie who's installing a smart meter in the morning - our electricity meter and gas meter are on opposite sides of the house - goodness knows why.
              We don't think it will work at all as we have very poor mobile/tv reception here.

Sounds a good shopping trip @Obelix-Vendée. Hope your knee stops hurting soon. My OH drove me down to the dentist as a trial run and said he thought the new hip was still ' a bit on the wobbly side' when he changed gear. More exercises needed.

My sister told me she had about 20-30 goldfinches all lined up on a telephone wire waiting for their turn on her birdfeeders and more than those of swallows on a higher wire, presumably getting close to migrating. I'm so jealous!

Have a good evening all.

• Like Like x 4
              • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
                Ratings:
                +802
                While hub was at his chiropody appt at 3, I popped to Aldi. Dry when I went in, cloudburst when I came out. Guess who got wet? (also, guess who forgot her list :thud:?)
                Then we popped up to the van with some supplies and it was 10C up there. 23 forecast Friday. Mad weather.
                I shall take fleeces and t shirts.
                Our village pub, which was once nicknamed the okey cokey, due to the turnover of tenants, is due to reopen. A lot of money has been lavished upon it. If it is the pie and chips eatery, it stands no chance (again). Will report back.

• Like Like x 4
                • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
                  Ratings:
                  +5,894
                  Evening all. I did resist the second dessert @AuntyRach - though sorely tempted! @Liriodendron, I, too, was forecast a dry day - they lied! I agree with @AuntyRach's suggestion about attempting to dry out your camera.
                  Tootyman.gif Well done @RowlandsCastle. I'm impressed you didn't just take a sledge hanmmer to the key safe - I would have done! I have been to several such meetings as there has been a planning application made to build in the field at the back of my house. I have a bad feeling that it is only a matter of time before it happens.
                  Great news about your dental appointment @lizzie27 - and the weight loss.
                  @Obelix-Vendée I am teaching myself how to crochet too but sometimes my arthritic fingers refuse to cooperate.
                  @Penny_Forthem, I think you are very wise to take warm clothing with you to the van. Be prepared for everything!

• Like Like x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                    Ratings:
                    +5,894
                    Signing out now for this evening. The hover flies were really enjoying my white rosa rugosa today and there was plenty of rain on the petals too for them.
                    Hoverflies on Rosa rugosa.jpg

• Like Like x 4
                    • RowlandsCastle

Ratings:
                      +3,334
                      Had to leave the council meeting to catch the last bus. Despite protests and supplications from various notable people, including the MP, I reckon the councillors will pass it tomorrow. It'll mean a decade of road changes and building.
                      Sigh!!

• Informative Informative x 4
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                        Ratings:
                        +5,894
                        national-cheese-pizza-day-design-template-0118b1ddf7b42f294413edd0ffafe960_screen.jpg
                        Good morning all. Following Welsh Rarebit day we have another cheesy celebration today. Going to visit my Bestie today and our friend from Crewe is coming up as well. Much catching up to do. Just brought in my milk bottle and it is seriously wet outside.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Informative Informative x 2
                        • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +3,096
                          Morning all.

I went to bed early and slept well. Must have been tired after a few bad nights. It was a lot cooler. Weather has changed, cool and wet.

I finished cutting back the brambles yesterday.

A friend is coming tomorrow. We were going to lunch at a restaurant with a lovely terrace, forecast was for sun. Now it's changed to rain.

I may go to the big plant nursery today. They were closed for August.

• Like Like x 4
                          • PatE

PatE Gardener

Ratings:
                            +596
                            We’ve even having high winds here so I decided to post a couple of photos.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
                            • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                              +3,149
                              Good morning all.

G’day @PatE - I hope you are safe and cosy. Is that on your property?

Glad I caught up with washing and gardening yesterday as both will be off the agenda for a few days.

One more coffee and I’ll start my study for the day.

Have a good day, whatever the weather folks.

• Like Like x 4
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                                Ratings:
                                +5,894
                                Good day @PatE. Not seen you for a while so good to see you today. Goodness me those winds must have been so strong to topple those trees - which I assume are eucalypts. Fingers crossed there has been no damage to your property.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                                • Like Like x 1
                                • Agree Agree x 1