Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    Good morning everyone. Hope it's a good start to the week.

No steak here @Ladybird4. The steak lover has just left for 3 days of golf in Brittany and Possum and I are having veggie tonight - baked fennel with goat's cheese, pine nuts, garlic and sun dried tomatoes.

It's mixed weather here with a strong breeze and gusts and more clouds than sun and a high of 20C. I shall potter with my pots I think and cut more tarragon for steeping in vinegar and, to Possum's horror, I'm going to pickle some pears to have with our C duck. She doesn't want me messing with our traditional meal.

I hope a smaller pillow will work for you tonight @Tui34. Bad sleeps are exhausting enough without added pain.

Are you going to start a Strictly thread @AnniD ?

Bon voyage @Busy-Lizzie I hope the journey and crossing go well.

posts crossed @Liriodendron - glad your hogs are still around.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • floralies

floralies Gardener

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +418
      Hello all, a very cool day and windy, so fresh I've had to put on a pair of joggy bottoms ( not that I go jogging)! It's only 15c here @Obelix-Vendée never known it so chilly for September and night time temperatures are due to get quite cold later in the week.
      @Tui34 I had the same problems as you with pain and trying to find a suitable cushion/pillow to wrestle with, I thought it was never going to end but of course it did gradually improve. I'm not looking forward to having the other one done!
      We have a couple of trail cams @Liriodendron which we used to put out but never saw a hedgehog, only foxes and cats and the odd roaming dog!
      We are hoping to get over to the Uk at the start of March next year, it's my sister's 80th birthday and she's not in the best of health, also meet up with assorted friends and other family members.

• Like Like x 3
      • LG_

LG_ Gardener

Ratings:
        +350
        Hello again everyone,
        We've been back from our canal holiday for a couple of days and I still woke up this morning thinking I was on a boat! It was, as always, wonderful but I always sleep badly in narrowboat beds so it's taken a couple of nights to recover.
        Good to hear that the hog(s) still about, @Liriodendron , but sorry the camera is still not fixed. I assume (I can't remember) that you've done all the searches etc to see if it's a common and/or fixable problem?
        Glad you had such a lovely time with your daughter, @Ergates , safe journey to @Busy-Lizzie and 'onwards & upwards' to you @Tui34 - so glad the op went well and recovery seems to be good, if difficult at times.
        Empty nest time is fast approaching so there's lots of bits & pieces to organise in the next week and a half. Also fun things to do. We're going to an open air theatre performance on Thursday - the forecast is dry, thank goodness, but really quite cold so having to think about what to wear to be comfortable sitting still for so long. Then a ceilidh on Friday :).
        Enjoy quiz night @Ladybird4!
        I wonder how @redstar 's trip is going...

• Like Like x 6
        • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,189
          What a coincidence, @Obelix-Vendée, I’ve just eaten a delicious sandwich, peanut butter, caramelised pear and rocket! It has been on the menu at the Donkey Sanctuary all summer, but OH and I usually share the sandwiches, and there is no way he will even try anything with peanut butter in. It was a delicious combination, I wonder how they prepared the pear? Most of the ones I bought last week are still in the fruit bowl, hard as rocks. They were described as a firmer eating variety, but still a challenge to the gnashers! At least the skins were smooth, unlike the ones covered in what feels like sharkskin.
          Time for a slowish walk, once the lunch has gone down.

• Like Like x 2
          • AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
            +512
            Happy to start a Strictly thread @Obelix-Vendée , as long as I'm not stepping on anyone's toes (Just realised what I did there !).

I will have a look and see if I can find any previous threads etc and get back to you :smile:.

• Like Like x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
              Ratings:
              +349
              Hi everyone, you're all sounding very busy. Glad to hear you're home @Tui34 . We finally had good rain on Saturday night but the subsequent high winds have dried the top. Ground is still too hard to dig.
              We had a great day yesterday my wife got all the family together on a canal boat restaurant, and we cruised down towards the Lea Valley and back on the River Trent, while they served us a 3 course lunch. It wasn't fancy food but good hearty fare. We were lucky with the weather, it stayed dry and the sun even made an appearance for a while. As she said it was something different, it was the final thing this year to mark her and her twin sisters 70th birthday.

• Like Like x 4
                Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
              • AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
                +512
                • Like Like x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,325
                  I'd like to have a few opinions please. Whilst out at the weekend, I came across a tree, the leaves of which were very striking - to me.
                  IMG_20240907_145731018_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240907_145736105.jpg

I'm colour blind, and to me they look a shimmering gold. Knowing I'm so often wrong, I asked my OH for her opinion. Gold, or green - or some other colour?
                  Her response was "a goldish green"!! Very unhelpful.
                  Over to you. Green, gold, brown, blue, grey or striped?!?
                  Thank you.

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
                    Ratings:
                    +5,886
                    Afternoon all. Turned out to be a very pleasant day and I've just come in from the garden. Having a little rest before thinking about getting ready for going out.
                    Good news that you have seen hedgehog signs @Liriodendron - even if it is just poo! :smile:. I keep having visions of a fat rat!
                    @floralies, you have a nice trip to look forward to once we get the festive season out of the way.
                    @LG_ good to hear that you enjoyed your canal holiday and that @Allotment Boy enjoyed his dining trip on a canal too.
                    @Ergates, I can imagine that your house is very quiet now but you must have had a super visit from your daughter.
                    Well done @AnniD for starting the Strictly thread. These days I hardly know any of the Celebs!:roflol:
                    @RowlandsCastle, that looks very much like a hazel which has a mid green leaf which then turns yellow in the Autumn.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                      Ratings:
                      +5,886
                      Good morning everyone. Well we came second in the Quiz last night and whilst this sounds OK, bit like being runners up in Bargain Hunt, we were only playing against another team! Never mind, it was a great night and our conquerors, one of the top teams in the league, are a really friendly bunch and we had a lovely night at their venue - a pub in the middle of Bolton. It was just starting to rain as we left to return home. Next week we are at home.
                      Sept 10.png

• Like Like x 3
                      • Friendly Friendly x 3
                      • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                        Ratings:
                        +5,886
                        I think I may have overdone it in the garden yesterday as I am feeling very stiff and creaky this morning and picking my milk bottle up from the doorstep required a great deal of careful stooping and bending to retrieve it. I am so glad there was no one around to witness this major feat of 'engineering'!

• Friendly Friendly x 6
                        • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +792
                          Good morning everyone!

Still painful night and I feel so tired but I phoned the surgeon's secretary yesterday for an admin question and she said I could turn onto my side to sleep, but not the wound side. So I slept until about 3.30am with the cushion between my knees in that position. I did wake up in pain but at least the position had changed. I feel positive that it will get better with time.

Cool this morning with more wind. Autumn may be early this year, or maybe just a cold front. We normally have a lovely Indian summer at this time of year and a golden October.

7B600185-6992-427D-93EE-C1209359036E.jpeg

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                            Ratings:
                            +5,886
                            Good morning @Tui34. Good news that things - even if just a tiny bit - are getting on with your healing process. Keep going! Got everything crossed here for you! It is supposed to be getting colder here over the next few days and I've still got a lot of bulbs to plant! :yikes:

• Like Like x 2
                            • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                              Ratings:
                              +5,886
                              I forgot to say the other day @Obelix-Vendée, that your veggie meal sounded absolutely delicious. I am a big fan of goat's cheese and that combination sounded just perfect. Your description made my mouth water!

• Like Like x 3
                              • floralies

floralies Gardener

Retired.
                                Ratings:
                                +418
                                Good morning all, it's very cool and breezy, I see we are to have our first snow on the mountains later in the week! OH has started on hedge cutting, it takes soo... long, when you think you've finished it's time to start again.
                                Different surgeons seem to have different ideas about how you should sleep after hip surgery as far as I can make out @Tui34, mine didn't seem to mind how you slept, it was the physio who suggested a pillow between the legs! I seemed to have a lot of muscle and nerve pain for quite a while.
                                The migrating birds are all very busy in the garden this morning before they fly off to warmer climates for the winter.

• Like Like x 4