Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Brrrr.. where did summer go?
    I made flapjacks with the g'kids yesterday. They love baking (and eating!), so they were pleased to rid me of temptation, by taking the flapjacks home (though I did have one square!). I made a 'Bretton chicken casserole' with loads of veg - it all went!
    It's only a week since your op., @Tui34; you're doing really well.
    Not sure about TV dinner day @Ladybird4!
    I'm not a strictly fan at all, but I do like Wynne Evans.

• Like Like x 5
    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,376
      Good morning. Feeling a bit bleugh after another sleepless night. Frustrating. Very grey and dull outside too so not inspiring. I need a few good rainfalls before I can tackle weeds with ease.

@Ladybird4 The fennel and goat's cheese recipe is in a vegetarian cook book from Leith's school of cookery. It's a favourite. I'll PM it for you. Another is the tagine done with aubergines altho I've gone off their texture and now use courgettes.

@Tui34 It will get better. I know it's not the same angle for pain but after my knee ops I made full use of the articulated bed in the hospital to let me sleep with my legs bent and supported. Once home I had a pillow under and a pillow between my kneese to help get comfy and spent a great deal of time on the sofa with the leg raised up the back and packed with ice blocks. I even managed to doze off while using the kneebender machine so take your sleep as and when you can and distract yourself with reading or something when you can't. You'll soon be back on your bike.

Well done for resisting flapjack temptation @Penny_Forthem. I've made them for both patchwork and gardening meets and, after sharing recipes, they now get served up as snacks for walking groups.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their day.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,097
        Hello all.

We are now in our cottage in Norfolk. The whole journey wasn't too bad - apart from the M 25 near Wisley then Heathrow. I slept quite well on the ferry, despite the engine noise.

We went to Sainsbugs on the way for food and lovely English bread, which I much prefer to French bread. Also raspberries and cream so much cheaper and nicer than in France where it's too hot. I mean the weather for growing raspberries.

Have been drinking coffee and having a good catch up with our lovely NDNs.

The garden is very dry, the phlox are all droopy. I will start watering tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
          Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
        • lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,390
          Hello all, glad you had a good journey back @Busy-Lizzie. Our ground is saturated after almost non-stop heavy rain since last Wednesday night. Yesterday wasn't too bad so I managed an hour's gardening digging out some unwanted perennials but it's raining again now.
          My sister said the M5/M4 were busy yesterday whilst she was driving down to stay with us.
          Tomorrow she's driving me to Compton Acres garden in Bournemouth/Poole for a nostalgic visit. Hope the weather gets a bit dryer and warmer - I'm wearing a jumper today.

The canal trips sound good, my OH is a big fan.

Hope the pain abates soon @Tui34 and that you have better nights.

• Like Like x 2
          • Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
            Ratings:
            +5,894
            Hello all. Rain thwarted my gardening again today and I'm still trying to get my head around the weather man talking about the possibilty of frost later this week!
            @floralies I feel quite sad when all our summer feathered visitors start their long journeys back to the warmth. It really symbolises the end of Summer - and @Penny_Forthem, I'm still waiting for it to arrive! (I'm a Wynne Evans fan too!)
            @Obelix-Vendée, thank you so much for the delicious recipe. I will have to source my fennel now and then I'm looking forward to making (and eating) it.
            Glad your journey home went reasonably smoothly @Busy-Lizzie. I cannot believe how. in our tiny country, we can experience such a wide range of weather conditions. Your garden dry and mine - somewhat similar to that of @lizzie27 - like a hippo wallow.

• Like Like x 2
            • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
              Ratings:
              +5,894
              I am going to sign out now so see you all tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a good gardening day!
              sunset-shimmer-sunsets.gif

• Like Like x 2
              • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,337
                Today I have joined the large number of people who have sleep apnoea. I have the fun of trying to see whether the equipment the hospital provided me with, will improve my sleep pattern, strangle me when I get in a tangle, or interfere with my VNS implant.

But starting next week when my wife returns from her trip to Montpellier.

• Like Like x 2
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                  Ratings:
                  +11,493
                  its 716 PM now here. My lap top been in the car for a few days, it gets upset. takes some time for it to warm up and accept another WIFI account. Anyway, right not I am in Prince Edward Island, Canada. What a beautiful area, lush and green, it seems to be the heartland for farming. Went to Ann of Green Gables Museum today. Staying in Charlottetown, which is on the south side of the Island. A really busy area, has lots of restaurants to chose from. Think I have had the traditional Lobster roll often now.
                  Anyway, leaving for the drive down toward home on the 12th, will get to Lubec, Maine, on the coast for a few days. Then going further south staying in middle part of Maine. Both will be 5 hour drives between. Splinting the drive naturally. The 2nd ferry were were suppose to take, they canceled it, too much wind, making us drive an extra 2 hours around to get to a bridge. SMH.
                  So we think we have been in a few nice places to get a nice flavor of a possible return and longer. Nova Scotia is certainly lovely. And yes, the Whale watching trip, did see some, got some shots, weeding through the camera etc.
                  OK, Ladies. off to bed soon. Probably touch base again Sept.18 or 19. And then will bug you daily , LOL.

• Like Like x 5
                  • Friendly Friendly x 4
                  • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                    Ratings:
                    +5,894
                    National-Make-Your-Bed-Day.jpg
                    Good morning one and all. Great to see a message from @redstar this morning as she flits around on her long holiday. Goodness but it was cold last night. It took an absolute age for my feet to get warm in bed. Had a better sleep though and today I do not feel as creaky as yesterday. I do hope @Tui34 has had a better night too. Good luck with your 'equipment wrangle' @RowlandsCastle.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +795
                      Good morning all!
                      7FAC47EE-46B5-4EC2-97B6-F9F2F972314B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,151
                        Good Morning everyone.

I’ve been ‘double busy’ (Micky Flanagan) so not been posting much.

I hope everyone is ok. I love the sound of @redstar’s trip - How fantastic!

I’ll catch you all later. Be good!

• Like Like x 4
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +3,097
                          Morning all.

It sounds a lovely trip @redstar.

Bright sunshine in S. Norfolk, but cold. I'd put the summer duvet on when we left end of July but I was cold in the night and took a single summer duvet from the bunk bed. Then I slept well until 8am, which is 9am in France. OH wasn't cold.

We are going to NDN's funeral today. Her granddaughter and OH have cleared her front garden and it's full of stuff from in the cottage waiting to go in a skip.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
                            Ratings:
                            +875
                            Hello everyone.

Cold here too, @Busy-Lizzie and @Ladybird4 . Even with bedsocks on, my cold feet woke me up at 1am. We never have the winter quilt on the bed (constant temperature in the house because of the heat pump) but a thin blanket is needed now, on my side of the bed at least.

Your holiday sounds amazing, @redstar . It'll be great to hear more about it when you return (with photos please!).

Thanks, @LG_ , for suggestions re the malfunctioning camera. I found a useful online contribution from someone going into great detail about how he repaired a camera of the same make. Unfortunately his method involved more understanding of the electronics than I possess, though he did start by suggesting leaving the camera in a warm place for a number of days to dry out thoroughly, because this is sometimes all that's required. I'm hoping that will work for mine. They are pretty waterproof, but Irish rain is very persistent...

Does anyone recognise the objects below, by any chance, please? I found them both on the gravel drive, several months apart in time. The second one was quite close to where we park the car, which is slightly worrying, though they could just have been dropped there by the magpies. They are about 3cm square, and made of something flexible (silicone?). Any suggestions gratefully received!

20240910_191859.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                            • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
                              Ratings:
                              +973
                              Good morning all,

After a bright start, there are now some ominous looking black clouds moving in, so I think some rain is on the cards. My OH has gone out to cut the grass, he’s almost finished, so think he will beat the rain.

It dropped very cold last night, a big change from what we have had. The plants are going to get mightily confused methinks, as it’s supposed to warm up again next week.

Your trip sounds lovely @redstar. You’ve certainly packed a lot into your trip. I remember going on a whale watching trip in New Zealand - absolutely fantastic. Such magnificent creatures. We saw dolphins, too, and an albatross- what a superb bird that is.

Im afraid I don’t know what your mystery objects are @Liriodendron, but someone else might be along soon to tell us :fingers crossed:. Good luck with the camera, too.

I hope your hip pain is easing @Tui34.

• Like Like x 5
                              • Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
                                Ratings:
                                +695
                                Hubby suggests that they are from some sort of secure packaging, holding a complicated object secure in transit. Are they near a recycling bin?

• Informative Informative x 2
                                • Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1