Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ladybird4

Ladybird4 I'm a gardener. What's your super-power?

Retired Teacher
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    Signing out for today. Hope to catch up with you all tomorrow.
    upload_2024-9-14_19-20-33.gif

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,096
      I've cleaned all the outside paintwork as far as I could reach without a ladder on the cottage. I was surprised how dirty it got as it was only painted this summer.

Just back from the pub in the village where we had a beer each. Dinner is cooking then we'll watch the 2nd half of a Miss Marple.

• Like Like x 3
      • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
        Ratings:
        +875
        Hello folks!

It's good to "see" you, @Badly_Maintained - so sorry you've had lots to put up with recently. I hope your doctor can give you some relief from your migraines. They're so debilitating. And I too totally agree about the compassion and fortitude of many of those who work with the elderly.

We went to a concert a few years back, @Allotment Boy , where we heard a Mozart horn concerto (the one everyone knows!) played on a valveless french horn. Quite remarkable how all the different notes were produced just by the horn player's mouth position. We were very impressed. (Our daughter plays the (modern) french horn, and that's difficult enough!)

I hope I haven't evicted too many small creatures from their homes in our "meadow", which I've been scything over the past few days. Hopefully they'll be able to burrow into the moss and thatch which remains... I said hello to a very small shrew this afternoon. Also tried to relocate a couple of ladybirds onto my climbing rose, which has some remaining aphids - but I think they must have been the Wrong Sort of Aphids, because the ladybirds weren't interested. The forecast is dry for the next few days, after rain tonight, so I should be able to finish the scything soon. I'm doing it in small chunks (in deference to my age and creakiness!).

• Like Like x 5
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,149
          Evening folks.

This little spell of fine weather is a lovely tonic to my busy month. If I don’t pass my exam then at least the patio is clean and tidy!

It’s great to hear so many of you are doing bits and bobs in the garden - there’s a flurry of activity around this time of year isn’t there.

You’ve summed-up the mixed fortunes of life there @Badly_Maintained. I think nature and gardening has been given to us all to help counter all the rubbish stuff of life.

Keep up the good progress @Tui34. I was thinking you could have a bottle or pack of hand sanitizer to offer any ‘forgetful’ nurses?

I really like the runner @RowlandsCastle.

I didn’t have a cream doughnut today (unfortunately) but I did have one of my favourite treats - prawn toasts. I love them! When is prawn toast day?!

Take care folks and sleep well. I’m just having a camomile, vanilla and cinnamon tea - recommend if you need a relax or peaceful moment.

• Like Like x 4
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
            Ratings:
            +5,894
            Greenpeace.jpg
            Good morning all. Seems dry outside but it is very windy judging from the movement of the trees. @Liriodendron, maybe your ladybirds were just full! I think the wild life will quickly move back in to your scythed areas. How are you getting on with your camera? @AuntyRach, not sure when prawn toast day is. Maybe its round about Jan/Feb when it is Chinese New Year. I have a valerian, orange blossom and passionflower tea which also contains camomile and lavender. Its delicious and supposed to help you sleep.

• Like Like x 3
            • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +3,096
              Good morning all.

I should have had some of your tea @Ladybird4 instead of the beer in the pub as I didn't sleep very well, 3 times to the loo!

• Like Like x 2
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                Ratings:
                +5,894
                Good morning @Busy-Lizzie. Goodness me that is a real disruption to your night. No point in me telling you to take things easy today as I know you will be living up to your name tag :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
                • Tui34

Tui34 Super Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +795
                  Good morning everyone!

Less wind this morning - hopefully it holds. Lovely and sunny too.

222E5874-7CB0-4491-8935-11C6992294F1.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,149
                    Morning all.

Just having a cuppa outside and seen ‘the’ squirrel (it’s been super busy harvesting and hiding food this last few weeks) and a mouse/vole (it was too quick and I didn’t have my glasses on, but it was tiny, dark in colour and quite round).

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

• Like Like x 2
                    • LG_

LG_ Gardener

Ratings:
                      +350
                      Morning all,
                      Well I've just read back and come to the conclusion that I can't really keep up! I remember Meuhlenbeckia, Proms, Swedish singing, doughnuts, hip ops and that BL is back in Norfolk. Apologies for the limited recall.

After fretting most of the day about how on earth to keep warm at the open air theatre on Thursday night, it went well (two jumpers, a big coat, wooly hat, gloves, woollen socks, sheepskin-lined boots and a blanket over the knees did the job :lolpt:) and the show (Fiddler on the Roof) was absolutely phenomenal. I'm still on a high and looping the songs in my head. We had a lot of fun at the ceilidh on Friday too - basically doing lots of things together before the nest empties on Friday...

I have Meuhlenbeckia in a few pots and absolutely love it, but I can totally see how it could become invasive. I'm not sure if it impacts nearby plants too much (other than smothering them) by stealing nutrients etc - I'd be interested to know what people think.

Good luck for your concert on Friday @Liriodendron . I like seaside ring doughnuts but only as a very rare treat. @Allotment Boy if you fancy seeing Mahler 5 on Tuesday at the Cadogan Hall, I can send you a code for £5 tickets. I admit to a personal interest - Bow (the older 'child', not the one who sang at the Proms) is playing. I hope progress is continuing @Tui34 and (forgive me if too personal a question) @Badly_Maintained I assume you've tried lots of things for your migraines? I'm just saying because I have migraines but luckily a very commonly prescribed drug works for me so they rarely last. It has changed my life. I hope you too can find something that works as simply functioning is so difficult when in the grip of a migraine.

Right I've gone on way too long. Hope everyone has a good Sunday and all the best for the week ahead.

• Like Like x 7
                      • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,334
                        Washing up cleared, house vacuumed, ironing done.
                        Did any of you join in with the singing from Last Night of the Proms, yesterday evening?
                        :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
                          Ratings:
                          +349
                          Morning everyone, bright and sunny here. Not a great night for me either, lots of pain in my neck and shoulders. I have a Lipoma on the right side which the GP doesn't seem to think warrants treatment but it's getting worse. Time to start pestering I think.
                          @LG_ Thanks for the offer but can't do Tuesday, maybe another time.

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Ladybird4

Retired Teacher
                            Ratings:
                            +5,894
                            I have been thwarted again. Been waiting patiently for the rain to stop. Its not about to happen I'm afraid.
                            I think it would be very wise to pester @Allotment Boy. Sorry to read you had a bad night.
                            Unfortunately @RowlandsCastle, I was asleep so no singing here.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +2,376
                              Hello. bright and sunny again after another nippy start. I shall have to give in and put on the light duvet as I'm starting to get cold around dawn.

I have spent my morning sanding down my own chest of drawers project. It was varnished a very dark brown but, lo and behold underneath it's solid mahogany. Lovely rich colour. All cleaned up and varnish free now and I've fed it, inside and out. Very hungry for my mix of oil, beeswax and lemon juice. It will need more.

I've fed and watered all the houseplants. Next job is to check for any ripe tomatoes to process and then I can get myself cleaned up and check I have evrything ready for the patchwork AGM tomorrow.

Commiserations to anyone who suffers migraines. I had them often and severely in my 20s but they tailed off over the decades and i've had none for several years now and then I tend to get just the visual distrubance.

Have fun, whatever you're doing. I need rain before I can get any bulbs planted.

• Like Like x 6
                              • Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +802
                                Good job we were home last night, not at the van. Wouldn't want people to think we were murdering each other when we sang along to Last night of the proms. I hit all the same notes as Angel Blue; unfortunately, none at the same time.
                                Raining, so indoor jobs today; I'm sorting summer clothes to wash and put away. Will keep a few T shirts out, as the forecast for next week isn't bad.
                                Enjoy whatever you're doing today.

• Funny Funny x 6
                                • Like Like x 2