Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2024.

1. AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,156
    Sorry @lizzie27 - my post was sent before I saw yours. That’s hard for you and your family, but I’m sure the hospice will be a very comfortable and supportive place for him x

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,126
      I'm so sorry about your poorly brother @lizzie27. Is the hospice near your sister-in-law so that she can visit him? I hope he will be comfortable there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,583
        My thoughts are with your family @lizzie27 a difficult time … but the hospices I’ve known have been wonderful places … I’m sure they’ll keep him comfortable and his wife will be able to spend precious time with him as his wife, rather than as his carer.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Anna42

Anna42 Gardener

Ratings:
          +182
          Just read back through some five pages of chat and typically cant remember anything much except Hot Cross Buns! Yummmmmm warmly toasted with loads of butter. Easter only for us like a lot of you, dont know why, it is just tradition I suppose.
          Life is a bit of a pickle here right now as daughter has decided, due to all the rain we have been having, to do a massive Spring clean to the whole of our little barn home. Everything is getting moved - this is never used/not wanted, chuck it out and get rid of it - this might be needed in the future, bag it, box it and store it up on the mezzanine level - anything wanted/regularly used being boxed and piled up in the next room until it can be replaced - . move all the furniture and clean behind/under it. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now and in the end I absconded out into the small towing caravan that we purchased last Autumn ready for some trips to visit far flung family this coming summer. I took with me some essential to help with my daily living/sleeping (quite a few essentials actually) and am now feeling nicely destressed, warm and comfortable. Trouble is that I cannot remember exactly what I have bought with me and what I left behind and this means that I cant find a lot of things and am not sure where to look for them. I suddenly need something and search the caravan, not here. Across the yard I go to the barn to ask 'have you seen my *******?' The answer usually comes back as 'No, have a look over there'. But 'over there' at the moment means a pile of several boxes, a lot of them labelled 'Mum's stuff' and I just cannot be bothered. I'm getting really good at making do with what I've already got! I really have the best of both worlds at present with my own little private space, but being right next to the barn I have the use of a full bathroom so, apart from the need for the quick trip to the loo in the middle of the night, there has been no need to fire up the tiny separate shower in the caravan (thankfully) and I still have the use of our large fridge and freezer for my supplies. In fact I'm enjoying myself so much I might just stay a while - with Spring just round the corner and summer on the way it would feel like being on a permanent holiday!

• Like Like x 4
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,458
          • Anna42

Anna42 Gardener

Ratings:
            +182
            @lizzie27 Sounds as though your visitors had a lovely visit. But I am so very sorry to read about your brother, so very sad for you all. Sending you warm hugs and my sincere sympathy.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +11,493
            @lizzie27 , so sorry to hear about your brother. with a terminal diagnosis it is the best course to get hospice involved. So hard on the caretaker also. Support is needed. I have organized many hospice care situations for my clients over time. Hospice does help the person to go gently.

• Like Like x 1
            • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,994
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +11,493
              They use what they are able to grow themselves, fresh and to process. But not all Amish have flour mills, or grow grain for flour. And of course they have sugar delivered. Some use their own honey, of course fresh eggs. Some use their own cottage cheese in things, if they raise cows. Some raise sheep . Some have their own fruit trees. So it all depends. I have an Amish family about 7 houses down from me she makes homemade cheese cake, so when I need one quick for a party, I just drive by and pick up one, its pretty large, cost $10.00. She does have her own chickens. Best part is having lots of fresh veggies around and meats. Have local Apple orchards here also. I am so blessed.

• Like Like x 3
              • PatE

PatE Gardener

Ratings:
                +596
                That’s interesting Dove. The Hot Cross buns have been on sale in supermarkets around here since Boxing Day. Der! It makes it difficult to be good about calorie intake.

it’s still rather cool here still, 18c and overcast. You never know, we might get a shower or more some time today when we are doing our weekly shop in town .

Hope everyone is feeling ok.

• Like Like x 3
                • PatE

PatE Gardener

Ratings:
                  +596
                  My niece rang me a couple of days ago to inform me that my sister has “lost it” and is in the local hospital until they can find a suitable care home for her. She has been diagnosed with a type of alzheimers. What’s most frustrating for me is that when I rang my niece the next day to see how she was coping with not being at home, my “…” niece told me in no uncertain terms that she would let me know if there was anything to report.

since I’m not physically near them, it’s very frustrating! Anyway, not much point in making a fuss about her attitude, I’m just hoping that things settle down soon. She is 88 now, going on to 89 in June, what can we do. Trying not to stress about it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,583
                    Oh dear @PatE … I am sorry to hear about your sister. I can imagine that your niece might have been having quite a difficult time. There is a type of dementia that can come on quite quickly and involve the person acting totally out of character and even becoming violent. A friend was attacked by his wife who tried to smother him. She had to be Sectioned and kept under supervision in a secure hospital until a suitable care home could be found. She escaped and went wandering .., police helicopters etc were out looking for her. Very difficult. I can imagine that your niece might be at her wits’ end. I hope that a care home where she can be safely looked after and as content and comfortable as possible can be found very soon. Please try not to worry too much … not easy I know ((big hugs)).

No idea why I’m wide awake … I’ll have a warm drink and read a bit ….

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • PatE

PatE Gardener

Ratings:
                      +596
                      Thanks Dove. Yes, I understand the situation for her, but it’s her attitude that I find so off putting. She always was a horrible kid and treated her brother very badly. He’s a nice bloke, but I don’t feel I should bother him. They all live in my old home town which I left when I was 16. Seems a lifetime ago now.

I think the main trouble nowadays is that we all expect instant news and can’t cope without it, whereas in the “old days”, we had to wait days or weeks to get news about family issues.

we’ve decided to give our regular Wednesday town visit a miss since there is nothing urgent needed and we are both feeling lethargic. . Catch up later.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Anna42

Anna42 Gardener

Ratings:
                        +182
                        Sorry to hear the news about your sister @PatE it must be very upsetting for all concerned but it would have been better if your niece could have been a little more understanding. Hopefully, once things become a little more settled, you will be able to get some better reassurance about the whole situation.

• Agree Agree x 4
                        • Ante1

Ante1 Gardener

Ratings:
                          +574
                          Good morning all. It's much lovelier morning than yesterday. Yesterday was very miserable with rain and wind. Despite everything, I went to cottage after school and planted two blackcurrants which I bought in the new SM for very little money. Of course got soaked and fall asleep on the sofa. Now is time for tea and get ready for the last school day before Easter break.

Snow around my cottage. Thought I'll not see this any more this year, but..

grt.jpg

tgr.jpg

• Like Like x 6
                          • Friendly Friendly x 3
                          • Agree Agree x 1