YEEEEHHAAAAAAAAARRRRRR!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Chopper, Jan 31, 2011.

1. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi chopper,

Just read about your new project! Looks like your going to have a delightfully busy year! It sounds like your plot is better than some of the allotment sites around here as far as service goes! Running water, brand new fencing, and electric hook up! Get that kettle down there :D

Sounds better than a direct application... if you know what I mean :heehee:

2. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    How wierd is this. I love to see rabbits and other wildlife romping around the countryside. BUT! Now I have a small plot of land to work, all of a sudden those things that I liked to see around are now a potential problem.

I have rabbit fencing on the way and that will be in place before anything gets planted. I was a highly qualified sniper in my army days and I can still hit what I aim at, so might be time to get my rifle out of mothballs again.

I stopped rough shooting a few years ago because the farmer whose land I used to shoot seemed to be a magnet for anything with fur or feathers. His Oilseed rape and corn crops used to get decimated by pigeons and rabbits. No matter how much time I spent shooting, the next day the little blighters would be back again. At times I would have so many rabbits that even my mate that used to feed them to his dogs, couldn't take any more. I kept the whole village supplied with rabbit plus a few mates. I got to the point where I was fed up with shooting them and then having to just bury them.

I changed my opinion on shooting. I now will only shoot an animal that is causing distress to my chickens or cats. I never fire at anything I cannot kill outright with the first shot and try to only kill what I am going to eat. Looks like I am maybe going to have to reconsider again.

One thing for sure though. I am not going to let the rabbits or other wildlife stop me from enjoying my new project. I like the idea of letting the rabbits have the extras from the plot. I really don't want to kill or hurt any wildlife unless I really have to.

Roll on monday so I can actually get stuck in.

Chopper.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Well, with rabbit proof fencing you wont have to kill a thing. so that will save you getting the rifle out of mothballs. Where have you sourced your rabbit fencing from?

Steve...:)

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I agree, the netting will keep 99% of them out. We have had three of four rabbits in our fencing over the course of 4 or 5 years. I've seen the little babies wriggle through the netting - sometimes they get stuck. Not enough for a meal, that's for sure, so I just let the dogs take care of them.