Your day (apart from gardening) what took place ? 2024

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,460
    Congrats, @Selleri! Make it your forever home and you will never have to go through a purchase again! :biggrin:

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Thanks everybody for your well wishes! The journey was indeed quite interesting, but oddly I found the Hunting Season the most stressful. Trying to decide, not knowing what lies ahead and so on...

Anyways, here are the first photos @Victoria :)

The house itself is in good order and needs nothing more than a quick dusting, but the garden is just what I wanted. A project.

Wouldn't change a thing! :biggrin:

overview july.jpg sittingdown july.jpg

It's south facing and surprisingly not awfully overlooked, considering that we live in a very urban area. My old rented garden is postage stamp sized and this new one is sort of first class stamp, again very decent size for my budget.

The greenhouse is teeming with life and the brambles behind it are promising a good harvest :heehee:

greenhouse july.jpg

The midway fence will go, and the plan is to have a large, round pond on the right where we can see it from the dining table, curving path to the greenhouse/ shed area and then just plants, plants, plants.

No lawn. :)

There might be a thing or two to do, but I'm very exited. This is where I want to spend the rest of my life slowly planning, building, optimising, changing, and enjoying. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,092
      Looks like a great space and project with lots of scope/ Look forward to following your progress ... in perhaps your pwn thread. ;)

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,460
      Excellent potential there, @Selleri! :dbgrtmb:

Hope you have some nice neighbours, as that makes all the difference to a content existence.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Bluejayway

Bluejayway Plantaholic

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,435
        So exciting @Selleri , enjoy every minute:dancy:

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,685
        You are so lucky to inherit a greenhouse. I had to wait years before I finally found one free on my local Freecycle, have loved having it ever since.
        You also have a lovely blank canvas to design as you like. I inherited an elongated triangle of raw field and like you went for no lawn.
        Take your time, live with your plot for a few months before making any major decisions and enjoy. Most of us have cried into our cups of tea over mistakes we made as well as cried with joy over successes.
        Good luck, so exciting.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,053
          Good luck with it all @Selleri. I look forward to seeing your garden photos and progress when you get going with the garden.

No gardening has taken place, apart from watering when we arrived at my French home. The last few days has been spent travelling from OH's cottage in Norfolk to my house in France, staying with family and friends on the way. It's now very hot in SW France so I'm not expecting much gardening to be done, although it needs it.

• cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,526
          @Selleri the fence panels on both sides of your garden look the same and the arris rails are on your side, so I presume you own both. Always good to be able to control your own borders.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +8,039
          Thanks everybody, I'm indeed thrilled and also dead tired with newly found muscles in surprising areas around my person :biggrin:

I will start a thread of it's own for my new garden, already there are millions of questions where I rely on the kind advise from this forum.

Reading the house papers during the buying process revealed that I now own all the fences in the back and in front. I may not be rich but at least I'm a woman who owns six fences! :heehee: I'll double check with neighbours though.

Onwards to the next steps, The Child insists that having a fridge is more important than a visit to the nearby Dobbies garden centre. Kids. :noidea: Oh, but she found a solution to our Prosecco problem!

It so happens that neither of us, nor our friends are fans of Prosecco. A glass is ok, but The Big P can't be enjoyed by glass or the rest will go bad. Unfortunately, T.B.P. is also the easiest gift and a staple in raffles etc. So we now have six bottles of the stuff to move to the new house. (Plus one in my office drawer, a very kind house warming gift from a colleague :doh:)

Anyways, The Child volunteers with National Trust and their evening sessions tend to end up at the local pub, so The Child is now taking a bottle to each meeting for their collective picnic snack.

If wonky hedges start to appear in NT gardens, you know whom to blame :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • cactus_girl

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,526
            Picked 1.6kg of blackberries. I don't have far to go - I just hop over the 4ft fence at the bottom of the garden using a chair on one side and an upturned plant pot on the other. Masses of them and they seem a bit early.

I have soaked them in cold water to get the grubs out - they are small see-through things, but there weren't too many.

Now I have loaded them onto trays to put in the freezer and will bag them up later.

There are still loads more coming too.

20240810_170608.jpg

• Like Like x 6
            • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,983
              Went for bike ride/foray. Only got one mushroom, a nice cep. Here's a pic of an almost blemish free amanita though
              IMG_20240810_104156_HDR.jpg IMG_20240810_085809.jpg

• Like Like x 7
              • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,501
                We have another freezer which for various reasons could only go in the porch. It has been a great small freezer and helped us to keep a lot of produce going throughout the year. Had a look yesterday and saw the amount of ice had really increased. Not good. So managed to move some of the food into the main freezer and then the rest into a cool bag (remember to buy a new one). Carefully lifted it outside and the warmth VERY quickly got the chunks out. Within 2 hours all clear and wiped down and back in the porch. Allowed another hour for the freezer to settle and then put food back in.

• Like Like x 1
                • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                  Ratings:
                  +55,092
                  We are off to the hairdresser this afternoon. Last visit was April for both. My hair grows fast and thick so have to get it off my neck in this heat, so I will be back to my Avatar.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,438
                  Just caught up with this thread - belated congrats on the new home @Selleri ! Daunting and exciting all at one go. I hope you enjoy it though. Have fun planning and getting it all going. :)

That view looks quite familiar @Hanglow - the first pic in your post from 27th July.

I've not been doing much recently apart from the garden or hills, but the renewal of the shed has been the main project. It's starting to look more useful now - thankfully.
                  The wires are back on now for the honeysuckle, but this was taken a few weeks ago after I'd done the various bits of concreting etc.
                  111_0623.JPG

The front/door area with the horseshoe back on as well
                  111_0624.JPG
                  The other side - window needs washed, inside and out! There's a new bed for the comfrey beside the waterbut, although I still have the guttering etc to do for that.
                  111_0861.JPG

The corner under the conifer where I've moved Grandpa's Box to, and it's had a couple of coats of paint [still needs another] although I haven't done the edging on the top yet. Some other bits and pieces have been done along that side too .
                  111_0859.JPG
                  Rain stopped play yesterday, but hopefully some painting can be done today. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • cactus_girl

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +1,526
                    Just given hubby a haircut myself! We always do each other's and have done so for many years. Hubby was sat at his desk so I thought it was time for a trim. Afterwards he always examines the offcuts to see how much is grey. My hair is straight so it's easy.

• Like Like x 1