Ziggys' Home Plot

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Phil A, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought you'd like that :D I know I did:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Oh, Oh, Rhubarb flower coming.

[​IMG]

Now is that good, bad or indifferent ?

Does it need a partner to get fertile seed ?

2. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why is it that everyones garden looks far more ahead of mine? My rhubarb is only just showing about an inch (2 inch at most). Camelias are far from flowering, Daffodils yet to flower...

Im in the midlands, not the highlands!

By the looks of information on the web, It looks as if they go to seed quite easily, and will readily produce seedlings.

Though I must admit, Ive never seen rhubarb in flower. :DOH:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    We've had a lucky break in the weather that you haven't Luke, still time for it to pick up. A bit of sunshine will make all the difference :thumbsup:

4. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    To be fair, we have had a couple of days in the past week which have been lovely and sunny, so hopefully this will have triggered things to kickstart. I'm sure that things will catch up.

So are you planning on trying to propagate some rhubarb from seed if you get any? Am I correct in thinking that your looking at a 2 year wait until you get some edible stems? I guess if you already have the crowns, your still getting some stems while your waiting for some new stock.

Only thing I can think that rhubarb going to seed is that it will likely sap the life out of it. If forcing it in darkness weakens the plant, Im guessing letting it go to seed would be just as stressful, if not more so.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Allowing it to flower is, sort of, counter productive. It will produce seed with no trouble and the seed will produce viable stalks in one year. Unfortunately allowing it to flower it will sap the strength from the plant (for that year) reducing both the yield and the length of the growing season.

Unless you have a lot of plants already and can afford for one plant to give a poor yield it would be better to buy a packet of seed. If you do have enough plants to allow one to flower then you would be better splitting some of the ones you have. A packet of seeds on ebay is going at 99p + postage.

Cut the flower off right at the base as the centre is hollow and could store water and rot. It is best to do it now as the flower stalk grows at an alarming rate. On some varieties of rhubarb the flower stalk can easily grow 4ft high.

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    4ft high...I wonder if Zig will make a walking stick from the flower stem? :loll:

Steve...:)

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Now theres a thought :D

Cheers for the thoughts Lads. Having just divided up one of the West Bay clumps, forcing another in the pill box and Choppers gift plant still in its pot, i'd better cut the flower off to enable puddings this summer.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Decided the North wind was doing the plot no good, so splashed out on a bit of fencing.

[​IMG]

One of the Chilli plants I had on the roadside stall fell off onto the garden last year. Went to pick it up & it didn't budge. Its been under the snow & decided to root itself in, showing signs of new growth.

9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumbsup: Have really enjoyed reading this thread Zig & a damned healthy little plot you have there too... :thumbsup:

10. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes Ziggy, Its looking remarkably healthy. Not just speaking about the growth of your plants... but all those cabbages will put hairs on your chest (well thats what my grandad always told me :thumbsup: )

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys & gals :thumbsup:

It was breadcrusts with my Dad:heehee:

Not done bad seeing it was a building site this time last year. All the old lime mortar from the foundations has gone into the soil, plus horse poo from the stables and homemade compost.

I think the village used to hold flower pot & glass smashing competitions there from what i've been digging up:DOH: Also dug an entire sack of coal up:thumbsup:

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Just checking my thread subscriptions

13. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Everything looks great, Zig........but what is that church i see in the background in pic #1??

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Penny,

Blimey, never noticed that before.

St James the Less, Hambridge. Built in 1843 so practically new build in my book. I've got a Half Farthing minted in the same year.

There is a Medieval Church I can see from my bedroom window that I have conserved the top of the tower, Kingsbury Episcopi, the next village East of here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_St_Martin,_Kingsbury_Episcopi

That'll be the one, also raised the flagpole on the top by 6 inches.

They have a lovely may day fair here, which we have been coming to since Willow was a toddler.

15. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Believe me....i noticed (LOL)!!!

Thanks for the link.....its so pretty!