Ziggys' West Bay,Dorset Veg Plot

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Phil A, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337

Was just going to mention that Freddy, I seem to remember watching some on the box (might have been one of those chefy programs) where they did a walk round a commercial salad nursery where the y mention about the currant being important to healthy growth.

found this video on youtube, very informative:) although here they reckon you don't need flow to grow it at home:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      What a guy eh?:biggrin:

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      All looking good there Ziggy, nice one....:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • madmick

madmick Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +25
        :dbgrtmb: Nice one Ziggy I wish all my stuff was doing aswell as yours

• Like Like x 1
        • MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
          +42
          Hi Ziggy,

I was reading earlier in your thread that you throw in a layer of horse poo, covered by soil and plant on top of that. Does the poo have to be well rotted or can it be reasonably 'fresh' so to speak.

Have access to lots of horse poo but thought it had to be well rotted. Could I dig a trench for some spuds, layer of poo followed by soil with spuds on top and then back-filled? Be nice to make use of 'Bobby's' leftovers!!

MrM

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi Mr M,

I use fresh poo in the winter for the heat it gives off as it rots, its steaming when it goes in the frames, then a good 6 inches of soil on top of that. You can feel the soil warming up, gets things going ahead of time.

Its a bit too strong & hot to plant anything straight into it, but the heat has gone in about 6 weeks so the time roots get into it its ok.

As long as the poo is covered well with soil it should give your spuds some good bottom heat, it'll build up the soils fertility over time too.

Why not get a good heap on the rot ready for use later on. Get a bit of drainpipe or tube, stack the fresh poo around it & then pull the tube out to leave a ventilation hole. You could build a wooden frame to stick on top, fill that full of soil - instant hotbed:dbgrtmb:

• MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
          +42
          Great advice, thanks Ziggy. I will try it on the next set of spuds I put in this weekend with horse poo well buried. Next on the list is building a frame and trying the 'hotbed' out. Brother-in-Laws eyes lit up whern he read that one, he likes making things!!

As for the vent tube ingenious - now building up a nice pile which I presume that once the ammonia levels have gone down can simply be applied as a mulch through the year?

This was a 'new' veggie patch that was started a few weeks ago so bit rushed in getting it ready for planting this year. Hopefully as nothing apart from grass was growing there before the soil will have enough nutrients in it for this year.....but I stand to be corrected :nonofinger:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Mulch is good, the worms will help dig it in for you. Think I got the vent thinger off of Geoff Hamilton many moons ago.

You can always make a liquid feed for the veg this year, doesn't take long to brew. Your spuds & tomatoes would benefit from that too.

Glad you've got a useful Brother in Law, mine just comes down the plot & offers useless advice:snork:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Progress so far in April.....

[​IMG]

Strawbs are starting to swell, trouble is, they are ahead of the new batch of liquid feed, its not ready yet.

[​IMG]

Drunken Pilot first earlies are coming on too, they are in pure compost so not too worried about feeding them yet.

[​IMG]

Conovers Colososos Asparagus is 3 years old now, grown from seed.

[​IMG]

Pic of the Land Cress, mainly for Freddy, who was asking about it yesterday. This has been cropping all winter & will bolt now, but still getting plenty for salads.

There are a few of Atticus L's Kale plants inbetween.

[​IMG]

Mr Badger decided to make a shortcut under the fence.

• Like Like x 4
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Mr Badger was only passing thru, there is another hole today under next doors fence, probably that one that likes kipping under their shed again.

[​IMG]

Productive day on the plot, got Butternut, Winter & Turks Turban Squashes sown. Sowed Corgettes, Bare Naked Lady Pumpkins, Sunflowers, more Corriander, Mizuna, the devils vegetable Cucumber & Gurkins. Potted on Cos lettuce, Calalloo & French Marigolds.

Had all the protections off the spuds & gave them a good soak.

Couldn't manage the weeding though on account of me foot hurting too much. Too damp to hoe, as it would just transplant the weeds. But apart from that a lovely day of proper April showers and sunshine:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 3
            • Freddy

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,508
              So, where's this pic mon ami?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Post Number 204 mon petite blaireau

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,318
              The strawberries look like they're going to crop well Ziggy. That asparagus looks a bit lonely, has he got no pals round and about? :sad:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              There are about 12 plants but not all of them are up yet, probably won't pick till next season as they were in pots for too long.

The ants are trying to move into the Strawberry pots, trying to give them the idea that they are not welcome.

• Like Like x 1
              • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,508

Ahhh, Je m'attendais à voir une photo de persil:ideaIPB: