Ziggys' West Bay,Dorset Veg Plot

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Phil A, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Penny,

Blimey, you still got the snow! Slight frost here this morning but nothing damaged.

Blooming slug got into my tomato & basil plants in the greenhouse & nipped a load off.

Also noticed a row of little pits where the peas had been planted and no peas left. Went to get some more seeds to replace them & found a little hole nibbled in the packet.

Going to invest in one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9nGyPz9uT0

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    My Father-In-Law grew runners in his back garden for over 50 years, and before him his Father-In-Law had grown them for 30 years in the same council house in the same spot. They faithfully kept their own runner bean seed, carefully preserving a few for next years crop UNTIL he moved to a flat and gave up gardening and I became trustee of this precious runner bean line. Pesky mice found them in my garage and ate the lot over the winter :cry3: Where's Terry Jones with his mallets when you need him.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    OMG.That is a tradgedy John.

Was this recent ? Is there any chance a root has survived over winter ? Or is it lost forever?

Are there any in a forgotten cuboard in the kitchen, after all, your kitchen is bigger on the inside than The Tardis:heehee::DOH:

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It was a few years ago Ziggy, it was daft of me just to leave them in a bowl on the garage windowsill to dry, all I forgot was a bit of salt and pepper for those pesky mice. Live and learn! :heehee:

5. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Morning Zig......i hope you dont mind me posting this here, but as you can see, yep we still have snow......and its cold here too:rolleyespink:

This was taken early this morning too :dbgrtmb:

[​IMG]

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Penny,

You are always welcome here :dbgrtmb:

Blimey, I see what you mean. When does winter normally end over there ? Or is it really Narnia, seen any fauns lately ?

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Crikey Penny, I didn't realise you still had so much snow. It's been a nice sunny day here - although the temp guage is plummeting now - we might even get a frost, that will be the first one for about three weeks.

Sorry Ziggy going off at tangents on your thread :P

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I like tangents, just don't like sines & cosines.

Been frost on the ground and the hot & cold frames for the past few days. Not touched the lettuce, peas, beetroot, carrots, rocket & mint contained within.:thumbsup:

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cold & 'orrible on the plot today, so spent some time improving the frames instead, sawing keeps you warm.
    [​IMG]

Built a frame & filled the gaps with expanding foam. (had some left over from a job)

[​IMG]

Made a hinged arm thinger to hold the frame open.

[​IMG]

A few hours later, when the foam had set, cut it back and painted it to protect against uv.

When the frame has dried out i'll give it a 3 coat paint system to protect it from the elephants.

[​IMG]

In the meantime, discovered the cheapy shop has installed a gardening section.

Glad I didn't get my sets from the garden centre, they were £2.99 a packet there.

10. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Good bargain!!

Talking of cheapy bargains - went to B&Q Friday evening for some peat free compost - and found a pile of "Reduced" organic & peat free - reduced to £1 per 50l bag. when it rang through the till, it even gave us the buy 2 get 1 free offer!!!!! Not bad - 10 bags for £7!!!
    And 'im indoors on the way home said - "I wonder why it was reduced to clear - perhaps it was out of date?" :DOH: :DOH: :DOH:

And as for mice - I have a nest in my compost bin. Checking out whether or not its ready to put on my new veggie plot, I lfted the lid and there was a really cute little fella sat there giving me the once over!!! A friend at work said to leave them there as while there are mice - the rats won't move in eeekk!!!!

oh - as for the MP sketch - eldest Son sasy "Respect to that gardener bloke"

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :D LOL,:thumbsup: Tell him "Blud, you not getting your tings?" :heehee:

That was a bargain Honeybee :dbgrtmb:. Out of date ? Thats why old Chateaux Laffiete is so cheap :D

Unfortunately, you will only have mice untill the rats move in. Mice don't keep them away, they are just good indicators that the rats haven't eaten them:DOH:

Made proper frames for all the brick frames now I got the hang of the first one, will post a pic when they are dried out & painted.

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Nice and snug in your cold frames now Ziggy :dbgrtmb:

13. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed John,

The lettuce is really coming on well. Got a load of seedlings coming up, obviously planted, but no idea what they are:DOH:

Have invested in some marker pens so I can lable things when I sow them.

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Once i'd got the hang of it, managed to fit frames for the rest of the brick beds.

[​IMG]

Just hope it stays dry enough to paint them now.

15. diana61

diana61 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lucky you! Here I'm sitting in 3-4 ft of snow still and waiting for spring....:mad:

[hr]
    Looking good!:thumbsup: